What is it that makes goblinoids different from non-goblinoids?

Guang

Explorer
So many different ways of looking at what makes a particular creature a goblinoid and a particular other creature not - and the our collective answer is.....because the gods, or magic, or common decent, or DM fiat says so.

So let me try something. Using the "goblin dog" I think from PF as an example, I'll take the most unlikely ancestry - say a dwarf. And try to make it goblinoid. Because if the gods or magic or the DM can do it with one arbitrary creature, they should be able to do it with any creature. Everyone can be goblinoid.

So......dwarves would first need an unnatural skin color. Bright neon blue. And their faces need to be even more exaggerated to make them uglier. With warts. And maybe a bad case of acne. Their beards should be lopsided and patchy, and their bodies even more barrel-shaped, with longer arms with twisted, bulging muscles. Without changing anything else about dwarf lifestyle, religion, etc......have I made them goblinoid? Surely there's something to the goblinoid archetype beyond "weird looking hateful ugly people"? If so, what is it? What did I miss?

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
@Cadence linked the post I made a couple of months ago that discusses a lot of things about how Goblinoids are defined in D&D 5e, as well as their overall backstory and lore in it.

Basically, Goblinoids are defined as the 3 races of fey that Maglubiyet conquered and warped into his servants. This lore differs from campaign setting to campaign setting, but that's 5e's official stance on them. They're Fey-descended humanoids (like Elves) united under a tyrannical god that changed their nature so much that they barely have any of their Fey nature in them.

The reason that Orcs, Gnolls, Kobolds and the rest of similar races don't count is because Maglubiyet hasn't conquered them (yet).

I use kobolds, goblins, orcs, hobgoblins, and bugbears to represent the various void-corrupted peoples which dark lords have from time to time raised up in their image to overwhelm, enslave, and replace the free elves, halflings, humans, gnomes, and dwarves of the world. They are differentiated from the free peoples by their loathsome unnatural appearance, horrible repulsive manners, and fondness for darkness and shad
So many different ways of looking at what makes a particular creature a goblinoid and a particular other creature not - and the our collective answer is.....because the gods, or magic, or common decent, or DM fiat says so.

So let me try something. Using the "goblin dog" I think from PF as an example, I'll take the most unlikely ancestry - say a dwarf. And try to make it goblinoid. Because if the gods or magic or the DM can do it with one arbitrary creature, they should be able to do it with any creature. Everyone can be goblinoid.

So......dwarves would first need an unnatural skin color. Bright neon blue. And their faces need to be even more exaggerated to make them uglier. With warts. And maybe a bad case of acne. Their beards should be lopsided and patchy, and their bodies even more barrel-shaped, with longer arms with twisted, bulging muscles. Without changing anything else about dwarf lifestyle, religion, etc......have I made them goblinoid? Surely there's something to the goblinoid archetype beyond "weird looking hateful ugly people"? If so, what is it? What did I miss?
I don’t see any difference and since I started my campaign world in the late 80s, Orcs and goblinoids have all been part of the same humanoid species. I don’t see the need for them to be separate.

Guang

Explorer
@Cadence linked the post I made a couple of months ago that discusses a lot of things about how Goblinoids are defined in D&D 5e, as well as their overall backstory and lore in it.

Basically, Goblinoids are defined as the 3 races of fey that Maglubiyet conquered and warped into his servants. This lore differs from campaign setting to campaign setting, but that's 5e's official stance on them. They're Fey-descended humanoids (like Elves) united under a tyrannical god that changed their nature so much that they barely have any of their Fey nature in them.

The reason that Orcs, Gnolls, Kobolds and the rest of similar races don't count is because Maglubiyet hasn't conquered them (yet).

Recent related thread:

I was hoping this thread wouldn't get sidetracked into that. But by all means, if anyone hasn't read it, go read it - it's an interesting read, but specific to one edition of D&D, rather than an overall consideration of goblinoids across settings, editions, and products. Maglubiyet's conquests are only relevent to the Forgotten Realms (and whichever homebrews want to also use that lore).

Mechanically goblinoids filling the evil alignment is also a good point, but my question is more of a philosophical or worldbuilding bent. After all, if a goblin is neutral good, he doesn't stop being a goblin. So mechanics aren't the essence of goblin-ness, any more than typical drow being evil making them "lose" their elf-ness.
An interesting, well put-together take, which I enjoyed reading when you posted it, but like I said before, kind of off topic. It only works with one god of one setting for one edition. It doesn't apply to all the other settings, editions, and homebrews in which the goblinoid archetype is equally strong. This thread is in TTRPGs general, not d&d 5e.

Last edited:

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
It only works with one god of one setting for one edition.
That's technically incorrect (the worst type of incorrect). Maglubiyet is present in the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk (and maybe a couple of other older settings that I'm not familiar with), but his role is filled by a different god in quite a few other settings. In Nentir Vale (4e's main setting) and Exandria, Bane is the tyrannical conquest god that rules over Goblinkind, and this backstory can be pretty easily transplanted to those settings. For all intents and purposes, Maglubiyet and 4e's version of Bane might as well be the same god (in role, I know they're not actually the same entity).

And it technically can also be applied to more than one edition, even if it wasn't the official stance. It could easily work for 4e's Goblinoids, for example. And while the Feywild didn't exist when Maglubiyet was first created, the Goblinoids did have the whole "used to be different peoples until Maglubiyet conquered them"-thing and the Demiplane of Faerie and Fey creatures both existed way before 4e did.

(Sorry to slightly derail this. You are absolutely not obligated to use the current lore for Goblinoids in D&D, I was just trying to explain the current take on the identity of the Goblinoids in D&D.)

For a more non-D&D specific answer? I'd classify Goblinoids as creatures from the Folklore that shared enough common traits and themes with the Goblins that they might as well be considered relatives. Boggles, Gremlins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Boggarts, Redcaps, Puckwidgie, and maybe even Hobs, Imps, Trolls, and Brownies could all fit the classification of "Goblinoid" or "Goblinkin".

It really depends on the game (and edition thereof), setting, and culture in question.

Last edited:

Guang

Explorer
That's technically incorrect (the worst type of incorrect). Maglubiyet is present in the Forgotten Realms and Greyhawk (and maybe a couple other older settings that I'm not familiar with), but his role is filled with.....
A great answer. Very useful info too, thank you - I didn't know the lore of gobinoid gods was so similar in so many different editions. I only started paying especial attention to goblinoids as an entire group rather than individual monsters when Keith Baker's Exploring Eberron came out - I absolutely love what he did with the Muut/Akha shared dream of goblinoid places in the Dhakaani Empire and have been trying different things to make the Dar a going concern in my own worldbuilding.

And for the record, your article is amazing. You should get people to pay money for it.
For a more non-D&D answer? I'd classify Goblinoids as creatures from the Folklore that shared enough common traits and themes with the Goblins that they might as well be considered relatives. Boggles, Gremlins, Hobgoblins, Bugbears, Boggarts, Redcaps, Puckwidgie, and maybe even Hobs, Imps, Trolls, and Brownies could all fit the classification of "Goblinoid" or "Goblinkin".

It really depends on the game (and edition thereof), setting, and culture in question.
Which is fascinating - and makes me think "what is the actual definition of goblinoid, independently from which creatures the term includes?" It turns out to be a surprisingly difficult question to answer, without relying solely on magic or the power of a god. They definitely share traits from folklore - but which traits, specifically? Just the fact that we recognize them from folklore and fairy tales? the goblinoid subtype in pf just says that they all speak goblin and they have stealth. I haven't been able to find templates or subtypes from other systems yet. (i.e. This template can be applied to any humanoid or monstrous humanoid - like they do for Fey and other groups/types)

And is my dwarf example goblinoid now? After all, dwarves also made regular appearances in the old fairy tales.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
A great answer. Very useful info too, thank you - I didn't know the lore of gobinoid gods was so similar in so many different editions. I only started paying especial attention to goblinoids as an entire group rather than individual monsters when Keith Baker's Exploring Eberron came out - I absolutely love what he did with the Muut/Akha shared dream of goblinoid places in the Dhakaani Empire and have been trying different things to make the Dar a going concern in my own worldbuilding.
I love Eberron's take on Goblinoids, too (and Orcs, Elves, Gnomes, and most of the other standard D&D races). Even if "Fey Goblinoids" don't really make sense in the setting, they're still one of my favorite versions of the races.
And is my dwarf example goblinoid now? After all, dwarves also made regular appearances in the old fairy tales.
Like I said, it depends on the culture. The Norse Dvergr (which heavily inspired Tolkien's Dwarves, which heavily inspired D&D's Dwarves) or Snow White's Seven Dwarves (which are more accurate as D&D's Gnomes)? No, they're absolutely not "Goblinoids". But the Egyptian God of Dwarves, Bes, or more trickster-type Dwarves from Germanic folklore? Maybe. It depends on where you draw the line. Real-world taxonomy is confusing enough when we have actual creatures to categorize. Fantasy taxonomy for made-up definitions to made-up creatures from dozens of different folklores that share similar elements with each other and hundreds of other folklore and mythological creatures from across the world makes things even more complicated. That's probably why I just prefer 5e's simpler definition of "if they were conquered by Maglubiyet, they're Goblinoids".

It's up to you, the GM, and how the different similar fantasy creatures are depicted in the campaign. There's not really a "one-size fits all" solution to this question, as the term "Goblinoid" has been applied fairly arbitrarily to different D&D monsters across the decades.

Haiku Elvis

Knuckle-dusters, glass jaws and wooden hearts.
Goblinoid = A loose vague and changeable definition for a group of violent antagonist humanoid creatures inpired by or can trace their lineage back to Tolkien's Gobins and Orcs. This includes the misapprehention that these were different creatures rather than a change in nomenclature between the Hobbit and Lord of the Rings, leading to the common fantasy idea of Goblinoid meaning a family of similar species with differing features (size, organisation etc).
Common tropes are cruelty, affinity for the dark/dislike of the Sun and in apprearance twisted ugly faces and long arms and bow legged, although these are far from universal.
Most fantasy settings that use these creatures use the Goblin - smaller and sneakier, Orc - larger and more warlike divide as popularised by the Warhammer range of games. D&D went a different route having Orcs as a non Goblinoid species but adding Hobgoblins to fill the larger more militeristic and organised niche. Bugbears a D&D self invention were added as an even larger and stronger version filling a similar position occupied by Uruk-hai and Black Orcs or even Trolls in other settings.
As these creatures were mainly established haphazardly often borrowing back and forth from different settings without an organised plan, no coherent set of rules establishing what is or isn't a Goblinoid exists.
Definitions retroactively imposed to give meaning to the definition, include but are not limited to, species corrupted by and following the same mad God, shared corrupted fey ancestry and made of fungus but like all things related to the Goblinoid idea no definitive answer exists.

PS Bugbear is still a stupid name.

Remove ads