• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is my "range increment" with a crossbow sight

LoPaC

First Post
I have a Gnome crossbow sight put on my masterwork light crossbow. The description in the Arms and Equipment Guide says it increases my range increment by 2. I realize that the 80ft is the longest distance that I can shoot to effectivly use my BAB, but can of course shoot farther with penelties. Question is: By adding 2 range increments to the light crossbow, does that mean I can now shoot upto (80+(80x2)=) 240ft with my normal total attack bonus?

And if so, does that increase my Point Blank Shot by 3, effectily, making Point Blank work at 90 feet for me?

Palagast

First Post
Yes and no. It does improve the range you can shoot at without penalties, but it does not improve PBS.
Just substract 2 from the range increments the target is in, with a minimum of 0

iwatt

First Post
But it raises your range increment to 160', not 240'. If you combine it with the farshot (1.5 x) you don't get 3.5x80=240 but instead get 2.5x80=200'.

sledged

First Post
LoPaC said:
The description in the Arms and Equipment Guide says it increases my range increment by 2.
No, not quite. It doesn't increase your range increment. It's still 80' with the max range being 800'. It reduces your penalty due to range "as if [your targets] were two range increments closer." It's not the same thing.

LoPaC said:
Question is: By adding 2 range increments...
Again, it doesn't add two range increments. The max range doesn't change (800').

LoPaC said:
...to the light crossbow, does that mean I can now shoot upto (80+(80x2)=) 240ft with my normal total attack bonus?
Yes...

However, as it's written, no. I've noticed that the wording for the crossbow sight is a bit weird (although it's easy to figure out the intent).
"The user treats targets as if they were two range increments closer. It has no effect on targets within the first two increments."
If you were to go exactly by this wording, your range increment penalties for a light crossbow would be:

0' ≤ x < 80': -0
80' ≤ x < 160': -2 (as per the description, it has no effect on this increment.)
160' ≤ x < 240': -0
240' ≤ x < 320': -2
320' ≤ x < 400': -4
400' ≤ x < 480': -6
480' ≤ x < 560': -8
560' ≤ x < 640': -10
640' ≤ x < 720': -12
720' ≤ x < 800': -14

I'm sure this isn't what they intended, so your assessment is correct. Let's just rephrase it to say, "It reduces your penalties due to range by 4 (minimum penalty -0)."

LoPaC said:
And if so, does that increase my Point Blank Shot by 3, effectily, making Point Blank work at 90 feet for me?
Strictly by the rules, no, but I'd probably allow it. I might even allow sneak attacks and death attacks up to 90' with it.

iwatt said:
But it raises your range increment to 160', not 240'.
How do you figure?

iwatt said:
If you combine it with the farshot (1.5 x) you don't get 3.5x80=240 but instead get 2.5x80=200'.
Far Shot increases the range increments by one-half (x1.5). So a light crossbow has a range increment of 80 x 1.5 = 120. With a crossbow sight you can shoot up to 360' without penalty.

iwatt

First Post
sledged said:
How do you figure?

Far Shot increases the range increments by one-half (x1.5). So a light crossbow has a range increment of 80 x 1.5 = 120. With a crossbow sight you can shoot up to 360' without penalty.

:eek: My bad. Hadn't read the item description. I though it acted similar to Far shot and Imp. Far shot.

LoPaC

First Post
sledged said:
Again, it doesn't add two range increments. The max range doesn't change (800').
I got ya the first time. Everyone obviously realized what I meant by doubling the 80ft, not meaning "extending beyond the max distance a crossbow could possibly shoot according to game physics". ;)

But thanks everyone, 160ft is alot better than the 96ftft that my DM was going by.

sledged

First Post
LoPaC said:
I got ya the first time. Everyone obviously realized what I meant by doubling the 80ft, not meaning "extending beyond the max distance a crossbow could possibly shoot according to game physics". ;)
Never hurts to err on the side of caution, because there are some would interpret it the way you phrased it.

LoPaC said:
But thanks everyone, 160ft is alot better than the 96ftft that my DM was going by.
Well, then you're in luck! Because you have no penalty up to 240'.

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads