Spelljammer What is Spelljammer, video interview with Chris Perkins

Micah Sweet

Level Up & OSR Enthusiast
Yes, I have the Realmspace accessory and have been referencing it extensively in posts over the past few days. The part on stars being portals on the surface of the sphere is covered on pages 3 and 4 of that book.

As I said in previous posts, the question is whether they are now free-standing portals, or something else (just bright objects just within veil, or something seen through the veil, like other systems)
How cool was the dragon ship on the cover of that book?

overgeeked

B/X Known World
That is your interpretation of how Spelljammer always worked, because you like the new system.
I don’t care for the new system. But that’s how it’s always worked.

Before. You sail out to the edge of the crystal sphere and enter the phlogiston. From the flow you can sail to any other crystal sphere.

Now. You sail out to the edge of the “domain sphere” (or whatever) and enter the Astral Sea. From the Astral Sea you can sail to any other “domain sphere” (or whatever).

All they’ve done is changed the names and made it planar. Anyone could go anywhere. Except Dark Sun. That was locked down. Same as now.

darjr

I crit!
Some interesting things I noticed on the map are two dead Gods near Realmspace, Doomspace Wildspace near Realmspace, and Astral Domions? Are those the other Planes? They don't seem to be arranged in a wheel, rather they are staggered through the Astral like Wildspace systems.
Oooh! Do the dead gods or dominions resemble anything? I think they seem familiar to me.

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
I will go back and read the entire thread, but I sure hope the those who said you would not fly from world to space to astral notice this update.

...edited to be clearer on my intent...

Last edited:

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
It is not 2E Spelljammer, but it looks close enough. I never liked the Phlogiston, but I loved the concept of the 'Flow' within it. Replacing the Phlogiston with the Astral works for me. I am not sure about the change of Wildspace from the Big Empty to a Space Ocean teeming with life and color. There is a lot of empty out there. I like that feel for my games. All in all, I look forward to Spelljammer's rebirth.
I dont mind parts "teeming with life and color" but much of wild space will still be the "Void" for my homebrew world.

Gotta have somewhere to stick the incomprehensible madness.

Remove ads