• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best game to capture that old 1E AD&D feel? - Please state why.

What system best captures the old 1E feel with a minimum of fuss.

• Castles & Crusades

Votes: 60 36.6%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 31 18.9%
  • Other

Votes: 73 44.5%

painandgreed

First Post
Akrasia said:
While I agree that simply playing 1e AD&D would appear to be the most effective way of achieving the 'feel' of 1e (it seems almost truistic to say so), presumably 1e was not included in the options by the OP for some reason. I'm not sure why -- and leave that to the OP to clarify. (Perhaps it is because 1e is OOP, whereas C&C and Hackmaster are in print?)

Yes, but it's still easier and cheaper to get copies of 1E than either of those two games. I live in a reasonably large city and am fairly familiar with the game stores in the area, and I can only think of two that would have C&C or Hackmaster and a few that might. However, I can come up with half a dozen used book stores (as well as one of the game store mentioned above) that have all the 1E stuff you would ever need. Plus, many people already know the rules and have stuff for 1E.

Ghendar

First Post
Mr_Spicoli said:
That statement just begs the reply:
Just try a new game system, the more unfamiliar the better. Not necessarily overly complicated either. Unfamiliarity can range from the rules, the setting, the inhabitants, the gaming style & flavor etc.

In truth, I would LOVE to be able to do that. Alas, these days I can't seem to find the players to play 3.5

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Of the two listed go with C&C

I chose C&C because it is really an easy fantastic system to get into. Familiar, less prep time, easily use older edition stuff. Plus, in print, and good price on amazon.com.

I ran a one shot based on Dragonlance at a local game day. In the original DL modules Sanction has a kings ransom in treasure stolen by the dragonarmies. I took npc's from the module, made them pc's and said to the players "Retrieve the Loot".

It was a blast and I pretty much ran it straight from the module. This one shot turned into a small campaign.

cmanos

First Post
How about 1Ed? I'm sure you can pick up the books cheap at a garage sale, used book store, game store, or even half.com or e-Bay.

dagger

Adventurer
painandgreed said:
If it's cleaned up, then it's not going to have "that old 1E AD&D feel".

Huh? Many people played house ruled versions of 1e, it was still 1e.

When we play it it feels like 1st edition did for all those years.

painandgreed

First Post
dagger said:
Huh? Many people played house ruled versions of 1e, it was still 1e.

Exactly, it needs to be messed up so that there are various house ruels to fix it. If everything is easy to reference in a single book and not half a dozen books, a three ring binder of house rules, and the oral traditions of that particular gaming group, it's not going to have the 1E feel.

Akrasia

Procrastinator
painandgreed said:
Exactly, it needs to be messed up so that there are various house ruels to fix it. If everything is easy to reference in a single book and not half a dozen books, a three ring binder of house rules, and the oral traditions of that particular gaming group, it's not going to have the 1E feel.

Obviously your understanding of 'the 1E feel' is decidedly different from my own. :\

Remove ads