• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best game to capture that old 1E AD&D feel? - Please state why.

What system best captures the old 1E feel with a minimum of fuss.

• Castles & Crusades

Votes: 60 36.6%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 31 18.9%
  • Other

Votes: 73 44.5%

RFisher said:
It's even better, though, because I feel like I have such a better grasp of the game was meant to be now.
Absolutely. This is one of the great things about returning to classic D&D or AD&D, IMO. I have a much better understanding of how things were supposed to work, why certain rules were written as they are, et cetera.

Treebore

First Post
tx7321 said:
Its great to see so much activity going on in the OOP segment. Look, all of these systems create a 1E feel, if the GM and players play them that way. As much as I love C&C, its not supposed to be a knock off of 1E, never was. Its a unique living system, and the creators wanted it that way.

But, honestly, its a silly question, onlye AD&D1 rules set can ever create that "feel".

It may not be like 1E, but when I search my memories for a equal comparison for the fun and joy I am having for running my C&C campaign, I have to go back to my 1E memories to find their equal. Not OD&D, not 2E, not 3E, but 1E. So even though C&C doesn't play like 1E (thank god!), it sure elicits very similiar feelings of fun, coolness, and excitement.

Yeah, there are a alot of "other" games I could be playing, and having lots of good fun, but C&C not only allows me to have fun like I haven't had since my 1E days, it also allows me to easily use all my 1E modules and any other material I feel like using. Such as I am currently running the "Against the Giants" series using C&C. I have to convert the THACO into a Base to Hit, and the AC's into positive values. Easy enough to do in my head. I've done it so much now I do it with very little thought.

So I play a 1E module using a d20 system that allows me to have an AC with positive values, saves equal to your level, the ability to use a simplified 3E kind of skill system, and to allow feat like actions to be attempted. All easy to do because of how flexible the SIEGE system of C&C is.

Like I have said before, if you are still having a blast with 3E, you will have absolutely no interest in C&C. Only someone tired of 3E and looking for "something else" will have a chance of liking C&C. If your in this situation, and have a ton of 3E, 2E, and 1E stuff like I do, then C&C is definitely the way for you to go, because all those books you have so much money invested in will still be a great reference library for you to adapt into house rules for your C&C game. Easily adapt.

The fact that I am enjoying gaming so much again that it reminds me of my 1E days is just an unexpected, and much appreciated, fringe benefit for me.

Remove ads