• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is the best game to capture that old 1E AD&D feel? - Please state why.

What system best captures the old 1E feel with a minimum of fuss.

• Castles & Crusades

Votes: 60 36.6%
  • Hackmaster

Votes: 31 18.9%
  • Other

Votes: 73 44.5%

gideon_thorne

First Post
Prime_Evil said:
I'm expecting Diaglo to show up any moment now.

I love Castles & Crusades, but most of the game stores down here don't carry it. A staff member at one store told me that the reason they don't stock it is that it's 'just another d20 knock-off'.

Sigh.

The solution to this is to get the store's contact info to Steve from TLG. He'll be happy to call them and set the record straight. Most stores will stock anything if enough people start asking for it. :)

Templetroll

Explorer
I voted other. 1e duh.

one of the members of my first gaming group was offended by 3.x; when we had our 25 anniversary gaming weekend last year we each ran the particular version we liked. he walked away from the table to take a shower in the middle of the run using 3.0.

The few times he runs D&D it is 1e now. He often allows a player to have bonuses and all sorts of things that are far more useful than the feats, etc of 3.x. BUt it is under his control, so he is pleased with it.

Rhuvein

First Post
C&C!

Castles & Crusades, with a C&C-BA/D&D mindset! :D

Hackmaster seems very interesting, odd & funny, but not my cup of tea.

Enjoy the game,

Rhu. :cool:

dagger

Adventurer
painandgreed said:
Exactly, it needs to be messed up so that there are various house ruels to fix it. If everything is easy to reference in a single book and not half a dozen books, a three ring binder of house rules, and the oral traditions of that particular gaming group, it's not going to have the 1E feel.

You can house rule C&C as well, and we have.

C&C has the 1e feel. At least to my group and the several that I know around here that have switched.

Justin Bacon

Banned
Banned
ghul said:
Respectfully, I must disagree with your statement, having found the 3.5 game to be antithetical and counterintuitive to running a game that has "1st edition feel." I feel this way, because I have tried such and consequently reached this conclusion after five years, and I am, for what it's worth, a DM of 26 years experience.

Perhaps it would behoove us to explain what we all think of when we think "1st edition feel". I'm particularly interested in Ghul's opinion at the moment, but I think a general reflection would be a good idea.

Particle_Man

Explorer
Castles and Crusades. I started on 1st ed AD&D when I was 10. I ran a game a year or so ago of C&C for 9 year olds. The excitement they felt was a mirror to the excitement I felt, way back when.

One can never precisely capture the feel of a game one started with as a child when one is an adult. But one can duplicate it for other children and I did exactly that.

RFisher

Explorer
Particle_Man said:
One can never precisely capture the feel of a game one started with as a child when one is an adult.

Perhaps, but--surprisingly--I think my current campaign is coming awfully close for me & at least one of the players.

It's even better, though, because I feel like I have such a better grasp of the game was meant to be now.

Remove ads