What is the point of glass steel?

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Obsidian should be fair game, IMHO...as should be things like fulgarite (sand fused by lightning) or leftovers from meteor strikes.

aregorn1

First Post
Possible Use's expanding.

I can see many people asking about how to cast the spell and how to use it, once you get into this realm you should ask your DM what he thinks. Far be it for me to intrude on how he wants to run his game. I guess you could call me an old school player, LOL, I like falling back on a statement made by Gary Gygax. He sad that he used the books as reference guidelines, then tossed them out the window. Always remember that the DM is (G.O.D.) Game Operations Director. If you start digging into technicalities of something, the fun can start to disappear. What I do, is tell the players to tell me their ideas on something or their interpretation of a rule before the game starts and I will make the final ruling. (off topic example from one of my games; elves have a high resistance to sleep and charm spells, correct? Tell me, should that apply if a God casts a sleep spell on the party? NOTE: party is about level 4). In other words if you want to make something, make it or design it then run it past your DM. If your the DM, LOL go ahead an do it. The idea of the game is to have fun, not write a thesis. LMAO

Rodger1001

First Post
Lets see...
  1. Virtually unbreakable potion flasks
  2. Virtually unbreakable lenses (glasses, spyglasses, etc.)
  3. Virtually unbreakable windows
  4. Arms & armor not susceptible to rusting, most acids, heat metal spells...and extremely fashionable, to boot.
  5. Arms & armor that are difficult to see in wet/snowy/icy conditions (ever find glasssteel caltrops in the river with your feet?)
  6. Shields that let you maintain LoS
  7. Expands the list of arms & armor usable by Druids

Excellent insight on #1-3, & 5, especially #1, in my humble opinion. But I have another use. In my campaigns I have critical hit and fumble rules for losing an eye, with closed-face helms and great helms negating hits taking out an eye. But the problem with these two types of helms is they cause penalties to spot checks (3rd Ed.). Voila, use a Glass-steel visor and suffer no spot check penalties.

With regard to windows, I have long thought that fortifications where magic is available would use Glass-steel windows. Anyway, that's my humble opinion.

NEXxREX

First Post
Glassteel-Made by the avariels and sun elves in an alchemical process requiring extensive knowledge of both metallurgy and glassblowing, glassteel combines strength beyond iron with the transparency of glass. It mostly finds use as a building material in fantastic castles, but it can also be fashioned into weapons and armor (although glassteel armor is much more costly to craft than even the most ornate blade). Glassteel is stronger and lighter than iron and completely transparent, lacking the greenish tint of common glass. Items made of glassteel weigh only half what they otherwise would. Items not primarily made of metal are not meaningfully affected by being partially made of glassteel. (A breastplate can be made of glassteel, but hide armor cannot.) Glassteel armor counts as one armor category lighter than normal for purposes of movement and other limitations. Heavy armors are treated as medium, and medium armors are treated as light, but light armors are still treated as light. Arcane spell failure chances for armors and shields made of glassteel are decreased by 10%, maximum Dexterity bonus is increased by 2, and armor check penalties are lessened by 3 (to a minimum of 0). Glassteel has hardness 20 and 40 hit points per inch of thickness. Weapons and armor fashioned from glassteel are treated as masterwork items with regard to creation times, but the masterwork quality does not affect the enhancement bonus of weapons nor the armor check penalty of armor. Item Cost Modifier: light armor +2,000 gp, medium armor +6,000 gp, heavy armor +12,000 gp, shield +2,000 gp, weapon +500 gp, other items +100 gp/lb. This description updates and supersedes previous descriptions of glassteel.

quoted from champions of valor word for word. its actually an alchemical process not magic......

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Skaldril's Scintilating Scales

This is a suit of scale mail constructed entirely of glass scales tempered by the magic of glassteel. Each scale has been crafted to look like the tip of a peacock's feather, so the entire suit is a riot of color.

However, beyond the stylish protection the suit offers, it also grants a +2 to Diplomacy checks, and allows the wearer to cast Hypnotic Pattern 5/day as if he were a 6th level Sorcerer, using the wearer's Charisma score as the casting stat.

Special: Battle Sorcerers and Bards treat this armor as if it were light armor.

Gray Lensman

Explorer
Skaldril's Scintilating Scales

This is a suit of scale mail constructed entirely of glass scales tempered by the magic of glassteel. Each scale has been crafted to look like the tip of a peacock's feather, so the entire suit is a riot of color.

However, beyond the stylish protection the suit offers, it also grants a +2 to Diplomacy checks, and allows the wearer to cast Hypnotic Pattern 5/day as if he were a 6th level Sorcerer, using the wearer's Charisma score as the casting stat.

Special: Battle Sorcerers and Bards treat this armor as if it were light armor.

Got a source or did you make it up? If So, consider it stolen

Maelduine

First Post
I recently dragged glass steel back up for the sake of regurgitating old things and everyone freaked out. Sometimes it makes me happy to remember bits of this and that and I was looking for some stats when this popped up in my searching.

Personally I always found carefully crafted plate mail, complete with full, easily seen-through face shields, to be very useful. Mine always combined good mithril with glass steel though.

Of course running around "naked" might seem like a good idea at first, but as one cheeky little paladin found out in a campaign I oversaw a decade back running around in glass steel plate on a sunny day has much the same effect as burning ants with a magnifying glass does...except that the ant is wearing the magnifying glass so it can't run away and has no exoskeleton...just soft plump people flesh. Of course the goblins that found him outside Calimport appreciated the meal...and even kept the "cooker" for later after they'd finished...he probably should have kept the padded linens the armorer had fashioned for him.

Remove ads