What is the point of glass steel?

PureGoldx58

First Post
To stimulate your mind on the uses of this stuff, look in a good art glass store/gallery- or online- and see what there is.

Because the niftiest thing is about glass is you can shape it in ways and at temperatures you can't do with steel. And then you use magic to make it as hard? Bonus!

Think about Warforged that are partially translucent. Isn't that kind of creepy?

I am stealing this for my campaign. (can't xp you, whyyyyyy?)

domino

First Post
It's incredibly easy to work with glass compared to steel. It's just sand, really. Melts at a much lower point than steel. Can be shaped over a regular campfire if you're willing to wait a while. Making a smooth orb or container out of steel is much MUCH harder than glass. How about a tower shield you can see through? An optical lens that will almost never scratch? Glass that dents but doesn't shatter? Make a large glass bulb with glass spikes on it, steel it up, and watch as light boats get torn to shreds by practically invisible floating caltrops.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
A set of crystal drinkware that cannot be broken. (Handy if the Ms. is a "thrower"...and you like playing with the chambermaid...)

domino

First Post
Only useful if the Mrs. is a poor aim. If she's got a good aim, I'd rather the glassware be what breaks, than my skull.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Only useful if the Mrs. is a poor aim. If she's got a good aim, I'd rather the glassware be what breaks, than my skull.

Stitches are less expensive than hand-blown crystal...especially masterwork stuff that was a wedding gift from the Emirate of Flumpfistan.

NEXxREX

First Post
ok quick question about the glass steel, how would you go about making it??? in the book champions of valor it says you need extensive knowledge of glassblowing and metalworking, cause i want my one character to be able to make his own armor out of it.

and a second question would you be able to make it like obsidian cause obsidian is volcanic glass. and if that is possible would you be able to make other colors?? that would add many more possibilities to the flavor factor.

plus glassteel with an obsidian look would be good for an evil bosses armor.

domino

First Post
One interesting thing is that obsidian can be made sharper than steel. The brittleness means that it can be cracked, to incredible sharpness. Then, glassteel it up, and you have a blade as tough as steel, but much sharper. At least for a little while, before it must be honed and resharpened.

And given that you can make glass in any color, I see no reason that you can't make glassteel out of the same glass.

Remove ads