What is the status of Cormyr in 5e?

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
If Cormyr is not going to be the "Imperial Cormyr" from pre-Sundering, then the core Kingdom will be surrounded by allies - think 1945-1990 USSR and the Warsaw Pact nations.

Not necessarily willing allies, and maybe not able to really do much on their own, but when Cormyr Speaks, they will listen and they will follow suit.
This, rather than the Cormyrian noble houses, is where I would place a lot of "seditious plotting and rabble-rousing".

And, not being inexperienced in the art of political intrigue, Cormyr uses the Minor Ally governments to provide support to pro-Cormyr forces in other nearby lands. Plausible deniability, you know.

Corpsetaker

First Post
Because that's for us players & DMs to decide.

Which is what a lot of people do not want to do. People want to add their own bits and pieces to the Realms but do not want to touch the overall structure.

It's lazy practice on Wizard's part.

Derren

Hero
Which is what a lot of people do not want to do. People want to add their own bits and pieces to the Realms but do not want to touch the overall structure.

It's lazy practice on Wizard's part.

It was first and foremost a genius marketing stroke to convince players that the release of untested and unfinished rules and lore was a good thing because they can now modify them (which they were perfectly able to do in previous, finished rules iterations but not forced to).

Less work and cost for you and the fanbase applauds you for releasing something unfinished.

Corpsetaker

First Post
It was first and foremost a genius marketing stroke to convince players that the release of untested and unfinished rules and lore was a good thing because they can now modify them (which they were perfectly able to do in previous, finished rules iterations but not forced to).

Less work and cost for you and the fanbase applauds you for releasing something unfinished.

Well it's sad that people are so now a days duped so easily. Kind of like how a lot of people in the world have such bad taste in music that the market is absolutely flooded with it.

Prism

Explorer

Are you suggesting that 5e was untested before release? What were you doing for the two years before it came out?

The lore is unfinished yes. A combination between not having the staff and time to create more than they need and a lack of people who would buy it maybe. It would be interesting to know how well SCAG sold maybe. That will probably influence whether they will release any more content like that

Prism

Explorer
The stealth rules certainly were for example. So the question is, what were they doing the 2 years before its release?

Well the stealth rules were in the playtest documents by the end, although I don't remember when they made their first appearance - certainly a year before release. Maybe we were too busy worrying about class balance to explore them in full detail. That said, I prefer the 5e light rules than lets say the 4e detailed rules mainly because I prefer stealth to be a DM judgement call rather than hard coded.

aco175

Legend
I have no problem with taking a non-Wizards employee's update of something on FR from DMsGuild. If someone takes up updating the royal lineage of Cormyr and provides a decent history and factions why wouldn't I? I know a lot of people may not like it since if is not official, but my game would be better since I would not need to do the work. Same thing goes for design of the castle or a border lord's conflict with a neighboring kingdom. These could be adventure modules or just conversion supplements, but I would think more people would get on board if they were modules that they could build off.

I still think that Wizards should put something out touching the major parts of the world. For Cormyr it could be how the kingdom changed in a few paragraphs and a few leadership NPCs like the King/Queen, royal wizard, a few leading nobles and a for good contact NPCs. Maybe a list of noble houses with a few names of people in each house that can help get ideas flowing. This could be done with 4-5 pages in a Dragon+ article. Same thing but even less with other kingdoms that have never gotten the love like Sword Coast and Cormyr has gotten all these years.

Remove ads