What is your gaming white whale?

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
Oh, and another white whale is an all-dwarves campaign. Got the idea when the Complete Book of Dwarves came out, and I've never managed it yet.
Oh yeah! I enjoy campaigns with limited PC options. I'd like to do an all aquatic campaign sometime.
Also, for grits and shiggles, I've also been fleshing out an "Anthropomorphocene Era" campaign where the PCs are all prehistoric versions of animal-based races (eg, woolly loxos, sabre-tooth tabaxi, dino-based lizardfolk, etc), and the major conflict revolves around fending off hordes of laser-wielding apes from another dimension intent on seizing the lush PCs' world for their own.

ichabod

Legned
Oh yeah! I enjoy campaigns with limited PC options. I'd like to do an all aquatic campaign sometime.
I actually did an aquatic campaign last year. I found an underwater campaign book (I think it was the Cerulean Seas) on DM's Guild. It was PF1, but it had a lot of good ideas on dealing with underwater issues that I was able to convert to D&D5. I also want to run a short shot with an 18th level party going to kill a dragon. They all have to be dwarves. Well, maybe one halfling, if it's a rogue. Oh, and they have to get over some mountains and through a forest first.

nevin

Hero
Also, for grits and shiggles, I've also been fleshing out an "Anthropomorphocene Era" campaign where the PCs are all prehistoric versions of animal-based races (eg, woolly loxos, sabre-tooth tabaxi, dino-based lizardfolk, etc), and the major conflict revolves around fending off hordes of laser-wielding apes from another dimension intent on seizing the lush PCs' world for their own.
sounds like gamma world on shrooms..

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I actually did an aquatic campaign last year. I found an underwater campaign book (I think it was the Cerulean Seas) on DM's Guild. It was PF1, but it had a lot of good ideas on dealing with underwater issues that I was able to convert to D&D5.
That look like a great resource. Thanks for the tip!

I have run a lot of "all-____" games, and all-dwarf would be a great one, I bet.
Arguably now is a better time for it than when I first got the idea - even with kits, the class options available to dwarves in 2e were rather limited.

That's a brilliant idea!

Gary McBride was writing an AP that could be played by an all-Dwarf or all-Drow party. Unfortunately he only got as far as book 2 before stealing his kickstarter money and running off into the sunset. It was a great idea though!

Ugh, what a bummer. Those sorts of Kickstarter disappearances are the worst. I've only had two Kickstarters pull it, thankfully. I'd almost prefer the creator to admit that they messed up and can't deliver. It still would suck, but an apology is at least better than just ghosting the backers.

TheSword

Legend
Ugh, what a bummer. Those sorts of Kickstarter disappearances are the worst. I've only had two Kickstarters pull it, thankfully. I'd almost prefer the creator to admit that they messed up and can't deliver. It still would suck, but an apology is at least better than just ghosting the backers.
It was pretty bad. There was a great community of us and we were pretty bummed. This is the same guy who wrote Way of the Wicked but clearly something went wrong for him and he couldn't do it. The last we heard he had just gone on an extended safari to Africa as a research project then no more. The artist stayed in touch for a while and made it clear that he'd been pressing Gary to communicate with us but to know avail. In the end he had to distance himself from the project or risk his own reputation... he'd provided all the art as commissioned - it was really good.

I lost £180, most others the same. So disrespectful to be completely ghosted. I would have understood if he said, look really sorry I've messed up... here's what I've done but I can't give you what was promised. I would have wished him the best and moved on. Worst thing of all though, he kept on supporting other kickstarters and we could see that from his profile - 697 others! Most of which were backed after he ghosted us. How about that for a kick in the teeth.

One day he'll surface and a lot of angry backers will be waiting for him.

Remove ads