• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What is your gaming white whale?

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
Space: 1889 played from the anti-imperialist stance.
Ohhhh yes. Or Castle Falkenstein. Something that feels like Stephen Baxter’s great anti-imperialist alternate-Victorian novel Anti-Ice.

I haven’t GMed a tabletop campaign for more than a year since college, nor played in one for more than two years. (Three years and some in LARP.) I would like to be able to do so.

Crusadius

Adventurer
I would love to play the full Enemy Within campaign (embellished with some of the smaller adventures), but the time requirements are so massive, the chance of it happening is basically zero. Unless I can time-travel back 20 to 30 years with the books.
This.

I'd also love to play in various (original) World of Darkness games, but I think the zeitgeist of the 1990's would be impossible to recapture and I wouldn't enjoy them the same way I did back in the 1990's.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
What is the game that you really want to play or run that you haven't had the opportunity? What convention or event do you desperately want to get to at least once? What campaign has eluded you thus far? What character idea have you never quite been able to bring to life?
I’ve been in the hobby since 1977- I’ve got sooooo many entries in each category!*

I’ve run most of the campaigns I REALLY wanted to run except a post-apocalyptic D&D campaign (3.5Ed) and a Fantasy HERO campaign set in the world or Magic: the Gathering. I did a lot of work on both, but never got to run them.

I ran a GREAT campaign using the Space:1889 setting to run a supers game in 1900 using HERO with a group in Austin. I tried to recapture that lightning in a bottle using Mutants & Masterminds 2Ed, set in 1914, but it absolutely fizzled (for several reasons). I’d love to take another shot at the 1914 version.

And characters? I’m haunted by a host of PCs for dozens of systems- mostly 3.5Ed & HERO. Some have even been statted out in several systems. A few saw limited action in short lived campaigns, but most have never been played.

* except conventions. Went to one, originally to run a DarkSun game, but had no signups.🤷🏾 So I wandered around and…just…wasn’t impressed.

To run: a Dragonlance game in the spirit of the Dragonlance novels. Big romance, big melodrama, big epic destinies and tragedies. I've mostly got the plot for this one planned out, but i just don't have a group who'd be into that style of play.
I've always wanted to run DL1-14 with a group that had no idea what the novels were about.

Aside from that, when I was a teenager the group I gamed with generally was open to trying new systems beyond AD&D 2e which was our main campaign game. We played TSR's Marvel Superheroes, TMNT, Shadowrun 2e, and GURPs off the top of my head. I'd really like to be able to do that again; have a main game that an ongoing campaign can be ran in long-term while running shorter campaigns in other systems to change things up.

After gaming with my current group for coming up on 4 years of mostly weekly play, we went from 5e to PF2e and next month they're letting me run a Call of Cthulhu scenario for them and seem receptive to trying Starfinder and Pendragon so we may be on to something here..

Ondath

Hero
Oooh, another white whale of mine: Having a long-running Planescape and/or Mage: The Ascension campaign where all of the players take all the philosophical themes very seriously. As in, I want the game to be essentially a long discussion about metaphysics. But I'm the nerdiest one in my gaming circle (I'm the one doing a PhD in philosophy after all), and I just don't think I'll find enough players to get such a group.

Remove ads