What Kind of Adventures to Kid Gamers

kaboom

First Post
Some tips

Don't make it all about learning.

Give them a enemy to fight.

Make sure that they always have a clear course of action.

I think that if you rule out humanoids as enemies, then you restrict yourself horribly, so I would not do this.

All in all I'd run a military campaign. They should have some freedom but not too much. Make it clear at first that they are expendable. They’ll feel great when they realize that they've moved from expendable recruit too valuable field agent.

Eye Tyrant

First Post
Stargher, I recently started gaming with my two boys who are 10 and 6. We started out with the conventional rules from the Core books, but I found that they were a bit much for them to keep track of and we spent more time going over mechanics then actually playing. To make things easier I purchased the DnD Adventure Game (the orangish colored box set). I have since run 2 of the 6 "adventures" inside with a lot more enjoyment from my kids. I say "adventures" because these are really just encounters. However, they are engaging enough for my kids. The rules within are simplified, by that I mean streamlined for easier/faster game play. You get with the set the 6 adventures I mentioned, 1 set of dice, a bunch of nice card stock counters, a general rules book, 8 of the Iconic characters at first level, all in all a pretty good for $10.

Mahali

Explorer
With parents help.

At our annual gaming Con someone runs a game for kids.
Last year the kids parents (retired adventures) disappeared so the kids grabbed their parents stuff (intelligent items played by the parents) to go rescue them.
The parents are only there to help, not to run the game. In this manor you could have a grown playing several different intelligent items the kids use.

Last edited:

Remove ads