• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

what magic item level would you give?

Lichemaster

Explorer
My Pathfinder group finishes the Carrion Crown Adventure path next month and in December will start are very first 4th edition game.
We are excited!

My question is what is the starting level for magic items would you use for 5th level characters?

Also I want to give bonus magic items to human characters, what would you give in bonus items to human 5th level characters?

D'karr

Adventurer
If I recall correctly the guidelines for starting characters above 1st level were:
(1) Item Level +1
(1) Item Level
(1) Item Level -1
Gold equal to Level -1 item.

In your case that would be:
(1) Item Level 6
(1) Item Level 5
(1) Item Level 4
Gold equal to Level 4 item.

I could be mistaken on the exact distribution levels.

Last edited:

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
D'Karr has it right. The DMG also suggests that PCs starting from higher than 1st level simply pick whatever mundane gear they want, within reason.

As to your second question: It depends on your players' usual racial preferences, and how badly you want them to play humans. Like if nobody has any strong preferences, you could probably get a whole party of humans just by boosting the levels of their starting items. But if Gary always plays the elf, and Sally always goes for the really weird races, and Dave avoids humans on principle because he's a human in real life so why would he want to play one?, you might have to give each of them multiple epic level items!

In addition, I suggest you explain why you want them to play humans -- presumably it has to do with your setting's shtick -- and ask them to go with it.

Last edited:

Yeah, everyone's right about what the DMG says to do for higher level PCs. OTOH you don't have to feel bad about giving out stuff of up to say 9th level if you want, it won't break anything. Despite what you hear all the time 4e isn't absolutely all about balance and fixed numbers. Its a pretty resilient system. There are things like artifacts in the rules for a reason, and they're definitely going to give someone a little oomph! So, I'd go with the guidelines, but feel free to do otherwise if it suites the needs of the story.

Lichemaster

Explorer
The setting is that Humans are the largest race, so in essence they would trade with a human easier then non-human to represent this (like AbdulAlhazred mentioned) give them a level +4 magic item?

MoutonRustique

Explorer
You could offer for the characters to choose their gear and have humans gain a bonus on the available level range; perhaps +1 or +2 to the max level of the items?

Lichemaster

Explorer
Looking at doing this?
You think it's too much?

Humans

(1) Item Level +4
(1) Item Level
(1) Item Level
Gold equal to Level.

In your case that would be:
(1) Item Level 9
(1) Item Level 5
(1) Item Level 5
Gold equal to Level 5 item.

the Jester

Legend
Only given humans better magic items if you're okay with them being objectively superior to other races. Magic items are a part of 4e's internal math to the point where giving one guy a weapon four levels ahead of the other pcs' makes a difference, albeit one that's easily overshadowed.

I find the notion of favoring a single race like this distasteful, but it's all about the campaign setup- if it works for you, go for it.

Remove ads