• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What materials must a Player have/bring with them at a game session?

What *must* Players have/bring with them at a game session?

• Only themselves, nothing more

Votes: 26 18.6%
  • Character sheet

Votes: 108 77.1%
  • Pencil/pen

Votes: 85 60.7%
  • Dice

Votes: 101 72.1%
  • Player's Handbook

Votes: 40 28.6%
  • Dungeon Master's Guide

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Monster Manual

• Campaign book

• Campaign notes

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • Supplemental rule book(s)

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • Miniature figure(s)

Votes: 11 7.9%
  • Computer/electronic device

Votes: 3 2.1%
  • Drink(s)

Votes: 27 19.3%
  • Snack(s)

Votes: 25 17.9%
  • Extra paper

Votes: 19 13.6%
  • Money

Votes: 12 8.6%
  • Other

Votes: 4 2.9%

Holy Bovine

First Post
I voted Dice, PH, Food, Drink (either/or there actually) and money (b/c our Friday night group always orders pizza and everyone partakes of it). I keep all PC sheets.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
I voted Themselves and Character Sheet.

Everything else generally everyone has enough to share.

Usually munchies and drink are a self item only with my current group as it occurs almost immediately after everyone's dinner.
My last group included dinner during the game. Usually it consisted of a chinesee delivery or pizza/subs (when we wanted something different).
Another group we rotated the soda/munchie bringing.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
The bare minimum to make the session work is.. themselves. I keep copies of character sheets for my own prep and reference, and as a backup if they forget them. So, if you show up, we can manage.

What would I prefer a player bring?

Yourself, your dice (or whatever randomizers the game uses), your character sheet. If the game calls for lost of rules-referencing, a copies of what references you need to play your character (core rules, supplements, etc). Paper and writing implement of their choice is also a goodness.

The Ghost

Explorer
Character Sheet, Dice, Player's Handbook are all I expect my players to bring. A writing utensil would be nice but I carry numerous pens and pencils on me.

It's like no one else gets that! I do have some work ethic here. Pay me the green and you get the service I always say.
Mark my words, the decline of professionalism in DMs will be the death of the hobby someday. Players need to realize that you can't just give the DMG to any random gamer and expect a good result. Good gaming means hiring the best DM you can afford.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Mark my words, the decline of professionalism in DMs will be the death of the hobby someday. Players need to realize that you can't just give the DMG to any random gamer and expect a good result. Good gaming means hiring the best DM you can afford.

There's only one person who can save the hobby from that fate - Bugaboo:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads