What, no Aeon Flux buzz?

mojo1701

First Post
Henry said:
I caught "Arrested Development" last night, which I usually don't watch, but it did cement my opinion: Charlize Theron is a FANTASTIC actress. She can and is not afraid to play ANY role, and do with with spark. There are maybe a half-dozen of this caliber of actor in Hollywood today. (example: Halle Berry, though good, AIN'T in this category, and she's an Oscar winner!)

But THAT DARNED FORHEAD! At least she was wearing a hat through most of the episode. :D

She was in four episodes before it. It was what I call the "For British Eyes Only arc."

...or just the Rita arc.

takyris

First Post
I'm not seeing Aeon Flux. If possible, I'm VERY not seeing Aeon Flux.

If the whole point of the movie is the action scenes, and the best you could come up with in the trailers looked that disjointed and awkward, what's the sell?

No slam on Charlize Theron, but as other people have noted, there is this thing called the Internet that lets me see Charlize Theron any time I get a hankering. I don't need to pay $9.50 to watch her do her best with bad dialogue and step through action scenes that show off the four to five weeks of extensive training she had.

Captain Tagon

First Post
takyris said:
I'm not seeing Aeon Flux. If possible, I'm VERY not seeing Aeon Flux.

If the whole point of the movie is the action scenes, and the best you could come up with in the trailers looked that disjointed and awkward, what's the sell?

No slam on Charlize Theron, but as other people have noted, there is this thing called the Internet that lets me see Charlize Theron any time I get a hankering. I don't need to pay $9.50 to watch her do her best with bad dialogue and step through action scenes that show off the four to five weeks of extensive training she had.

The thing is, the whole point of the movie isn't the action scenes. In fact that might be the weakest point of the movie. I enjoyed the story and characters much more than the action. And the action itself wasn't really horrible.

kitoy

Explorer
Captain Tagon said:
The thing is, the whole point of the movie isn't the action scenes. In fact that might be the weakest point of the movie. I enjoyed the story and characters much more than the action. And the action itself wasn't really horrible.

You just stole my thunder. I couldn't agree with you more. As I mentioned before, IMO, the fight scenes were quick cut together to make up for Charlize's inexperience. The previews try to make it seem like this is an action movie, when it's really a movie about ideas with some action scenes in it.

If you like Phillip K. Dick or William S. Burroughs (okay maybe not that weird, but somewhat), go see this for the concepts, not the action.

takyris

First Post
Captain Tagon said:

I am quite comfortable agreeing to disagree on that one. Either you're wrong, or the trailers and ads have horribly represented the movie... in which case, bad marketers.

The fact that the action scenes "might be the weakest point of the movie" is a bad sign for a movie like Aeon Flux. "The Ice Storm" or "Divine Secrets of the Ya-Ya Sisterhood"? Okay, the fight scenes can suck. But if you're making Aeon Flux and didn't get good action scenes, you have severely botched the movie.

takyris

First Post
Given the agreement of others, it's looking like the blame lies on the marketers. Well, and the writer and director, for trying to make an Aeon Flux movie without making a good action movie in the process. :)

Captain Tagon

First Post
takyris said:
Given the agreement of others, it's looking like the blame lies on the marketers. Well, and the writer and director, for trying to make an Aeon Flux movie without making a good action movie in the process. :)

True. I went in expecting a decent action flick with not much else. I got a good bit else and only a standard action fair. The ads are a good bit misleading, though not on the level of say the Village.

Remove ads