• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What, no Aeon Flux buzz?

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Joshua Dyal said:
I haven't either, but I'm not sure I see the connection to not having any interest in seeing the movie. Do you not watch any movies that aren't based on something you already know?

Oh no...I'll watch anything if it appeals to me on some level. Aeon Flux just doesn't interest me in the least. I never watch a movie based on who the actors are or who directed it, etc. So Charlize Theron could be stark raving nekkid from beginning to end and I'd still not pay to see it... it just doesn't strike me as a movie I'd be willing to stand in line for.

DungeonmasterCal

First Post
Fast Learner said:
Quick, check your scrambled eggs for saltpeter!

Har! I just had to cover why I was laughing so hard in my cube..

It's not that I don't think Ms. Theron is absolutely stunning...but I ain't payin' money just to see an actor. Now, if someone were to pay my way...sure. If I can rent it on cheap night at the video store, sure. I've seen naked women. Lots of 'em. On and off screen. And I'm here to tell ya...I ain't payin' money just to look at 'em.

reapersaurus

Explorer
Chain Lightning said:
For instance, my gamer friends would praise a b-movie actress of their favorite guilty pleasure show before getting behind and actress they perceive as Hollywood trying to 'sell' them on. Like how trancejeremy said, "IMHO, they should have gotten Kari Wuhrer to star in it." That totally sounds like a comment my Feng Shui gamemaster would make.
That totally sounds like a comment I REGULARLY say about EVERY movie:

"This would have been better with Kari Wuhrer in it."
:lol:

Firebeetle

Explorer
A word of advice

For those misguided souls who feel that Charlize Theron is not pretty, I offer the following advice. Instead of advertising that you may have deep-seated issues about women to be so hyper-critical, you should instead look for what is RIGHT about a woman. Do not look for what is WRONG. For example. . .

PHOTO-2.JPG

PHOTO-8.JPG

That, gentlemen, is all right.

I work at a theater as a projectionist part-time. I just saw the movie tonight. I did indeed tank at the box office over the weekend and is destined for the itty-bitty theater soon.

Good points:
1.) Charlize Theron
2.) Good premise, very Philip K. Dick like. A puzzling mystery that is halfway in the character's heads.
3.) Charlize Theron in the black, strappy "hurt be baby" outfit
4.) Some evokative visuals (other than Ms. Theron)
5.) Charlize Theron in the beaded nightgown.
6.) Nice view of a utopian future
7.) Did I mention Charlize Theron?
8.) For the romantics among us, it's really a love story (with Charlize Theron!)

Bad points:
1.) Production value is too low, the whole thing seems like a SciFi Channel movie.
2.) Nothing that made Aeon Flux the cartoon cool is in evidence here. They could have changed the character's name and had the same movie.
3.) It's completely plot driven.
4.) There's virtually no emotional tension.
5.) The fight scenes seem hokey and contrived.
6.) The ending is just stupid.

I did enjoy the movie, but won't be driven to see it again despite the eye candy.

I'm laying the failure of this movie at the feet of the director and producers. As much as I like seeing Ms. Theron, this should have been an animated movie by Peter Chung, not some lame attempt to start a franchise. Too bad for Peter and the rest of us.

Last edited:

Dinkeldog

Sniper o' the Shrouds
Enjoyable enough. I'd probably go with 7 or 8 out of 10, but I can be a soft touch. I also never saw the original cartoon series.

I agree with Firebeetle about the Philip K. Dick touch, which I really enjoy.

It filled a weekend movie-going slot where I had no other options and didn't make me feel like I wanted 2 hours of my life back.

Henry

Autoexreginated
mojo1701 said:
Ditto. After seeing her as Rita (the MR-F) in "Arrested Development," it made me re-evaluate after hearing about her in this movie.

I caught "Arrested Development" last night, which I usually don't watch, but it did cement my opinion: Charlize Theron is a FANTASTIC actress. She can and is not afraid to play ANY role, and do with with spark. There are maybe a half-dozen of this caliber of actor in Hollywood today. (example: Halle Berry, though good, AIN'T in this category, and she's an Oscar winner!)

But THAT DARNED FORHEAD! At least she was wearing a hat through most of the episode. :D

Henry

Autoexreginated
Hand of Evil said:
If she was a Klingon everyone would be all over her... :D

Now THAT would be an awesome role for her. :) Too bad Enterprise is gone, or an appearance by her would make ratings history.

Remove ads