• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What, no Aeon Flux buzz?

Starman

Adventurer
aeonflux_22.jpg

Mmmmm...no angular eyesores here.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Feh, I will stick with the original.

Mostly because the voice of the original (Denise Poirier) is a local. :) (And looks nothing like Flux.)

The Auld Grump

Henry

Autoexreginated
TheAuldGrump said:
Mostly because the voice of the original (Denise Poirier) is a local. :) (And looks nothing like Flux.)

The original had a voice? All I remember was watching her shoot things and die a lot. I figured she was deaf and mute, or something.

Tinner

First Post
Henry said:
The original had a voice? All I remember was watching her shoot things and die a lot. I figured she was deaf and mute, or something.

That's true for the first appearances on MTV's Liquid Television.
However, the series was popular enough they eventually spun it off into a pretty trippy little series.

And I do agree - This isn't Aeon Flux.
Not weird enough by far. I doubt Hollywood would be capable of making an AF movie that could match some of the bizarre things in the cartoon.
Remember the little wire marionette thing that got put in people's bellybuttons and made them good citizens? Or the freaky lizard that you could open the back of and find tasty little pills that erased all your memories? Not to mention the freaky bird-woman alien messiah thingys.

That show was seriously LSD inspired.

mmu1

First Post
You know a movie is going to suck when they spend so much money on the lead actress they end up using Johnny Lee Miller in one of the other main roles.

Or when the fight "choeography" involves gems like the heroine standing in a circle of bad guys, and taking them all out by firing with two guns (one over the shoulder) as she spins in place...

sniffles

First Post
mmu1 said:
Or when the fight "choeography" involves gems like the heroine standing in a circle of bad guys, and taking them all out by firing with two guns (one over the shoulder) as she spins in place...
Actually, I just picked up the DVD set the other night and watched all the original episodes, and that is something they might actually have done! :lol:

In the pilot Aeon Flux runs through a building madly blazing away, killing mooks left and right - I guess mooks in her world are about as good shots as Imperial troopers in the original Star Wars. ;)

It also refreshed my memory that in the original episodes Aeon Flux only spoke once: she whispered, "Plop" in one episode. :lol:

Chain Lightning

First Post
Granted I understand the comments about the movie probably being sucky, but this whole "Charlize Theron isn't all that pretty " thing I'm totally lost on. I agree Jessica Simpson is over-hyped ....but I think Charlize (like many other actresses) is very beautiful.

I mean come on guys, you're telling me that if a woman who looked exactly like Charlize came up to you at a GenCon, and said "Hey, want to go try that WarMachine demo with me?" You'd say "Uh..no thanks" and walk away muttering to your friend "Ugh,she was ugly like i drew her wrong." You'd do that?

Granted everyone has their own tastes so there's bound to be a few that differ in opinion. However, I find it interesting that,time and time again, the most critical judgements of 'looks' come from this message board and not my friends in fashion or the ones that are aspiring actors/actresses.

I think that its possible that ...the thing isn't a matter of which group is more critical about looks but possibly that one group has different tastes. For instance, my gamer friends would praise a b-movie actress of their favorite guilty pleasure show before getting behind and actress they perceive as Hollywood trying to 'sell' them on. Like how trancejeremy said, "IMHO, they should have gotten Kari Wuhrer to star in it." That totally sounds like a comment my Feng Shui gamemaster would make.

Not to say Hollywood doesn't have its fair share of "hey hey hey you're suppose to think this woman is beautiful look look look" ... for instance , I don't see the hype with Julia Roberts or with Juliette Lewis (when she did have hype - around Cape Fear era).

But Charlize....yah I think she's pretty. I've always thought so, even before she was anybody big ...like on Devil's Advocate and Mighty Joe Young.

mojo1701

First Post
TheAuldGrump said:
Oh, I will admit that she is pretty.

The movie sounds dumb, but she is pretty.

The Auld Grump

Ditto. After seeing her as Rita (the MR-F) in "Arrested Development," it made me re-evaluate after hearing about her in this movie.

Remove ads