• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What, no Aeon Flux buzz?

trancejeremy

Adventurer
I just said they should have gotten Kari Wuhrer to star in it because then there would have been an MTV connection. And she was the obvious choice since AFAIK, she's the only ex-MTV person who is actually an actress.

Last edited:

snotling

Explorer
I went to go see it last night. Having never seen the cartoon that MTV had, I had nothing to compair it to.

Over all, I really liked the story. The characters where rather neat. Some of the background and continuity needed a bit of help. It did keep my interest. Though I would like to have gotten more information on the resistance. They seemedto have kept that to a minimum..

out of 5 blood-axes, I'd give it a 3.

Dark Jezter

First Post
Saw it earlier. All in all it was pretty average. Although Charlize Theron was smoking hot in it; I especially liked that tiny little nightgown thing she wore in one scene. :cool:

It looks like this movie is getting absolutely clobbered over at Rotten Tomatoes. Of course, Harry Knowles gave it a good review (which is to be expected, as the filmmakers invited him to the set).

Dark Jezter

First Post
Aaron2 said:
Wow, people still listen to that guy?!

I don't know how many people still take Harry Knowles seriously anymore. If you go strictly by the talkback answers, it seems that the reason most people read his reviews is to point out how stupid they are. Can't say that I can entirely blame those responses; Harry Knowles has a history of giving rave reviews to movies that most people thought sucked, which leads many people to believe that he is a plant who gives good reviews to studios who give him gifts or scoops.

The only regular AICN reviewer I still have any respect for is Moriarty, who tends to have pretty good taste in movies.

kitoy

Explorer
I saw it last night and thought it was a solid, if low-budget, sci-fi film. I'd give it a 7 out of 10 stars and I'd recommend it to others. If you don't see it in the theater, it's definitely worth a rental. I actually went to see it based on Harry Knowles's review on aintitcool and I wasn't disappointed. His basic opinion is that this movie is more Phillip K. Dick-ish than the movies that have been made from Dick's books and short stories. After seeing the movie, I have to agree.

In a nutshell, the story is that 99% of the human population has been wiped out by an epidemic. At the last minute, a cure was developed by a scientist who ends up ruling the remnants of humanity. 400 years later, they all live in one utopian city, walled off from the rest of the world. However, something is wrong in utopia, people are disappearing, and the population is restless and discontent. Rebels are trying to depose the scientist's family and Aeon Flux is the insurgency's best operative.

This is high concept sci-fi with things like genetically engineered plants as security, modified humans with feet for hands, and people using drugs to communicate with each other. Lots of good ideas here and a plot with some interesting twists and turns. The look and feel is very Euro/Sci-fi, a lot like "The Fifth Element." I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Moebius was behind the design for the movie.

For the most part, the special effects in this movie are accomplished with sets and costuming and camerawork with some cg thrown in. The cg is just ok. It's really good a few times, the water-droplet monitor/security system comes to mind. Sometimes, though, it's a little too noticeable. I'm thinking of the razor-grass defense system here. Also, the fight scenes are a little too quick-cut headache inducing for my tastes. I attribute this to the fact that Charlize Theron is probably not a highly trained martial artist.

Speaking of Charlize, she is smokin' hot in this movie. She looks great and gives a good performance here. Especially in the nightie thingy she was half-wearing in one scene. :D Uhm, but I digress.

I enjoyed the movie, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone who doesn't want to think while watching a movie. Charlize Theron is beautiful and talented as always, but I wish they had $10 million more dollars to spend on special effects.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
62 mill to make and only 13.1 on opening weekend, not good Serenity was 39 to make, did 10 million on opening weekend for an overal: Domestic: $25,374,750 (67.9%)
+ Overseas: $11,979,109 (32.1%) = Worldwide: $37,353,859 --- now with DVD Serenity will make some bucks but Aeon is going to be tight.

DungeonmasterCal said:
I never watched the animated series...not once, not ever. So the movie doesn't interest me at all.
I haven't either, but I'm not sure I see the connection to not having any interest in seeing the movie. Do you not watch any movies that aren't based on something you already know?

Remove ads