What no Luke Cage love?

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I'm definitely with you regarding most of these tv shows. especially the ones by CW (Arrow, Flash, and presumably Supergirl, Legends of Tomorrow, and Black Lightning). These are just teenie-soaps.
I was also quite underwhelmed by Gotham and stopped watching in the middle of the first season.
I continued watching Agents of Shield , though. While the first two season were just okay, the third and later seasons were a lot more interesting.

Anyway, I think the Netflix Marvel tv shows are a completely different beast. They focus on character development and storytelling and the 'heroes' aren't very 'hero'-like, at all. Your wife is quite right: you should give Jessica Jones a chance!

i agree, I've also stopped watchiong the CW shows out of share boredom. I also gave up on season 1 of SHIELD but came back at season 4 and have been impressed since then. Gotham also gets better and as next season looks like its going to be the Batman year 1 arc it wont be too long before it fades into history.
Netflix is much more adult than CW, so I agree they should not be compared. Nonetheless they are a mixed bag

personally I am getting to that point of genre fatigue when it comes to TV although not with the Marvel movies (eg I watch a couple of episodes of Gifted but lost interest and the first couple of espidoes of Cloak and Dagger too but havent kept up).

Lately though I'm far more interested in things like Into the Badlands and have been looking for other 'Martial Arts' shows that aren't subtitled Mandarin - recommendations would be welcome :)

Ryujin

Legend
Oh, lots of love for the show here. It is some excellent stuff.

For me, early on this season, the Councilwoman seemed to be presented... inconsistently. I think that how and why she behaved that way became more clear over time, though.

Let us know when you are done, as the end is worth some discussion.

That was definitely a slow reveal, but I like it that way. I also liked the theme of impotence that they seemed to be using.

I rather liked the episode with Danny Rand, but yeah, the season felt like it was supposed to end before that, and then they tacked on 4 episodes. I still enjoyed it, and would put it behind JJ 1 and DD 1 as the third best season of the Netflix Marvel series.

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
I’m on ep 11 now. Getting bored, to be honest.

yeah it would have been much much better at 8 episodes, may be 10 if I'm generous.

As it is there are about 2 or 3 endings as story threads get teased out to extra episodes

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
To be honest, I liked the length. It allowed for more character development, which I appreciated.

I think they could still condense the story to a bit fewer episodes, but I could live with it the way it is, too. Luke Cage's first season was rough when they basically replaced Cotton Mouth with Diamondback. Diamondback was just a terrible villain and he just didn't work IMO.

Luke Cage Season 2 seems to avoid the mistakes of Season 1 and remains strong throughout IMO.
I particularly liked that little Shades twist with Comanche.

I am also more optimistic now for the next Iron Fist, because Danny Rand seemed good this time.

One thing I want from Season 3 (either Jessica Jones or Luke Cage) that Jessica and Luke meet again (and have some "coffee"... Ahem.)
[sblock]
(I could see that she might just visit the club for some case or just for the booze, realizes Luke is running it, and they hit it off again. They have some fun, but then she realizes what he really got into. They fight, she splits, not wanting to deal with his problems if he doesn't care to. But slowly in his story Luke also realizes that his friends were right, and he's calling Jess back for help.)[/sblock]

Last edited:

Hussar

Legend
[MENTION=710]Mustrum_Ridcully[/MENTION] - you're spoiler tags don't work.

Just finished the series. The season finale was not what I was expecting, although, to be fair, it's foreshadowed quite a few times in earlier episodes. Much more low key. For a show about an invulnerable strong guy, there are surprisingly few actual fights in the show.

I'm still mulling over whether I really like the season, or if I'm disappointed. I'm really not sure.

Remove ads