• Elementals

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Lizardfolk/Draconics

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Various people with animal heads

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Goblinoids

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Construct creatures (robots and cyborgs included)

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Undead

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Plant beings

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Incorporeal or pure intelligence

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Regular monster, not otherwise specified

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • 'Other' (the weirdest of the weird!)

Votes: 12 19.4%

Stormrunner

Explorer
Lizardfolk - my first memorable character was a lizardwoman mage named Snakey.
Centaurs - many, though I keep "reincarnating" Stormrunner through various editions and systems (D&D, GURPS, Hero, ...)
Anthro-otters (replaced halflings/kender in many of our games)
a minotaur
a satyr
a harpy bard
an Awakened grizzly bear

Arkhandus

First Post
Poll problem - you set it to only allow one choice. Those of us who've played more than one non-core race can't check off multiple options.

Bongo Bigguns

First Post
i picked "elementals" but it's not entirely accurate. The races we played in one campaign were pseudo-elementals -- dwarf and gnomes for the earth, elves and half-elves for the air, etc.

Klaus

First Post
I rarely played, as I was mostly the DM, but I've had:

Minotaur
Rakasta
Baaz Draconian
Dark Elf (in Rolemaster)

Voadam

Legend
Hobgoblin, orc, pterran (lizard type from dark sun), fiendish troll, jungle troll (from both Warcraft RPG's Manual of Monsters and the second edition WoW) advanced gargoyle, luminous (from Mythic Races), aasimar, half-ogre (dragonlance CS), planar variants from Unearthed Arcana, aranea, grey elf, wild elf, duergar, mountain dwarf (from Burok Torn), giant (from Arcana Unearthed).

That covers in 3e games.

In 1e I played a minotaur from Dragonlance Adventures once.

I've played:

Demons
Lizardfolk/Draconics
Goblinoids
Construct creatures (robots and cyborgs included)
Undead
Regular monster, not otherwise specified
'Other' (the weirdest of the weird!) - Back in the pre-AD&D days, I created a monster that I suppose is probably a cross between a mongrelman and a monstrous flesh golem (but a living creature, not a construct). Sort of "What if Dr. Frankenstein had access to lizardmen, orcs, demons, and such?" He was a fun character - paladin, of course.

I like the sounds of these to play someday:

Angels
Elementals
Incorporeal or pure intelligence
'Other' (the weirdest of the weird!) - I've wanted to make a cranium rat swarm psion for Planescape. Also, I've been very tempted to use the Malhavoc intelligent item magic rules for an intelligent magic item PC. Used them for an NPC, but never as a PC.

In general, I play far more monstrous and strange characters than normal ones.

Tewligan

First Post
Frukathka said:
Lets see, I've played 2 Hound Archons
1 Bipedal Basilisk (Bipedal Creature template from Advanced Bestiary)
a plethora of Centaurs
a Succubus
a doppelganger
a Song Dragon
a Janni
a slew of Gnolls
a natural Werewolf
3 Minotaurs
1 Nymph
an Orc
plenty of Aasimars and Tieflings
6 troglodytes
1 troll
1 Winter Worg (Winter Wolf/Worg amlagam)
a Yuan-Ti Abomination
and one awakened Giant Raven
Jeez! The amount of crazy-ass characters you've played is more than the total number of characters of ANY sort that I've played over 25+ years of gaming!

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
In D&D alone, I've played the equivalent of "planetouched," winged elves, githzerai, minotaurs and other anthropomorphs, giants, orcs, goblins, hobgoblins, most of the setting-specific races like Kender, Giff, Muls and Hengeyokai (though none from Eberron, since we haven't played in that setting), and of course, various homebrewed races.

Oh, and one drow in FR who claimed she was a LARP robot from a setting similar to Westworld. (Whether this was a delusion or not was never answered, but she did sometimes talk about places and things that made no sense to the other PCs...)

As yet, nobody has let me play a Dragon Magazine race (or something similar) or anything psionic except in Dark Sun.

Last edited:

Remove ads