• Elementals

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Lizardfolk/Draconics

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • Various people with animal heads

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Goblinoids

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Construct creatures (robots and cyborgs included)

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Undead

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Plant beings

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Incorporeal or pure intelligence

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Regular monster, not otherwise specified

Votes: 7 11.3%
  • 'Other' (the weirdest of the weird!)

Votes: 12 19.4%

Brazeku

First Post
Sorry about the poll folks, it seems it can't be changed. But I'm happy to see that the spirit of playing strange things is alive and well.

And wow - 7 headed pyrohydras, will-o-the-wisps, bipedal basilisks, mongrel-golems, fiendish trolls, squirrel folk, artifacts, elemental blends and harpy bards - that's pretty wild stuff. As for dragonborn, well I'm glad they may go core.

Catfolk (are rakasta a type of catfolk? I don't exactly recall), even though they are less 'odd' nowadays, way back when I remember the only real offering for cat people were the wemics, which were similar to the centaurs. And I remember the Hengeyokai, I played a crab one once. I have no idea what an aspis drone is. An insect?

I don't know who else feels this way, but I think the ability to play strange things is one of the reasons I like to be the DM. I feel somewhat disappointed when some of my players stick to humans and elves, but everyone has their preferences, and if they're having fun that's the most important and rewarding part.

Drowbane

First Post
Demons: yes
Angels: yes (if you count half-celestial-avenging-angel-wannabes)
Elementals: no
Lizardfolk/Draconics: kobolds & half dragons (and half-dragon kobolds!)?
Various people with animal heads: Naw, not my bag.
Goblinoids: I've played Hobgoblins, goblins, and blue (or two?). I like base goblins, I've never understood the point of Bugbears. Hobgoblins are cool though.
Construct creatures (robots and cyborgs included): Warforged & Maugs
Undead: yes, several.
Plant beings: nope
Incorporeal or pure intelligence: ghost.
Regular monster, not otherwise specified: Young dragon(s)
Bug-types: Kreen were one of my favorite races of 2e... I've only played one in 3e.
'Other' (the weirdest of the weird!): Hmm... Mindflayer count?

Humans
Dwarves
1/2 Lings
1/2 Elves
1/2 Orcs
Gnome (once)
Muls
1/2 Giant
Full Giant
Thri-kreen
Warforged
Shifter
Awakened Golem
Werewolf
Goblin
Kobold
Elemental humanoids (use of templates)
Enhanced human

I'm sure there are more. Never did a fiend or angel or pure elemental.

sckeener

First Post
I'll echo the Thri-kreen, but I've also played

Pixie (Pirate! Arrr!)
Vampires (Several different types of..several that had kids)
Satyr/Succubus
Ghoul
Aquatic Elf
Melnibonian
Half-Dragon (red)/ Drow
Mongrelman
A humanoid Bat (size small)
Half-fiend (basically the descendant of an evil god's minion)
Goblin
Orc
Winged-Folk (AD&D 1st)
Gith (both/all)
Half-Giants

(I'm probably forgetting several odd ones...)

Richards

Legend
Brazeku said:
I have no idea what an aspis drone is. An insect?
Yep. An aspis starts out as a larva (looking pretty much a giant maggot), then grows into a drone (which resembles a humanoid weevil). The aspis nest is ruled by an aspis cow (the equivalent of a queen bee), although it looks pretty much like an oversized maggot).

Johnathan

WayneLigon

Adventurer
Needed to have been a multiple-choice poll :) In previous editions of D&D, I played a dryad with a ring that allowed her to leave her tree, a good-aligned wolfwere, a goblin, and some sort of half-genie thing.

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Go ahead and make the new poll with:

-more choices (there where supposed to be about 130 playable races or race varients in 3rd ed)

-allowing for multiple choices (my feeling is that a few people play many varieties)

-allow for none of the above

sniffles

First Post
I played a minotaur once. My first-ever 3.0 character. The GM sort of cobbled together some rules for playing a monstrous race as a PC, since the only books available at the time were the PHB and DMG. I'm not sure if even we had MM 1 yet at that point.

I've always wanted to play something more unusual, but in general our group tends to stick with the PHB races.

Remove ads