D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

Oofta

Legend
You know the exact location of an invisible creature until said creature takes the Hide action and beats your passive perception.

You can only make opportunity attacks against a creature that you can see.

Sent from my iPhone using EN World

That was just contradicted by the podcast. Crawford on Stealth. You might know where someone is when they're invisible, you might not.

The reason I point this out is that while I agree with everything on Prakritis post, be careful with what you say is a rule and what is how you personally would rule it. If you want to rule that you know where the invisible golem standing in an empty room is before it attacks, that's fine. But it's a ruling, not a rule.

EDIT: part of this sounded snarky, it wasn't meant to be. Just trying to distinguish "the way I rule" and "what the rules state"

Last edited:

Oofta

Legend
You can take a reaction on your turn. You can take another reaction as soon as your next turn starts, limiting you to one per round.

Ashkelon

First Post
The difference between attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. No, an attack roll is not an ability check. Neither is a saving throw.

The Hex spell can be maintained for an hour or more. If the target dies, you can use a bonus action to Hex a new creature at any point later during the the duration.

Spellcasting in general (especially with classes with prepared spells).

Proficiency bonus is not added to damage for anything.

Ability modifier is not added to damage for spells.

Hiding.

Invisibility.

Rogues and monks can dash twice.

The game is balanced around 6-8 encounters per day.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
Stealth.
Hiding.
If I duck behind some blocks-line-of-sight object then pop back out, do I need to take the Hide Action - and pretty much end my turn? Or do I still have an action available?
Can I get the benefits of 'a sneak attack' or 'a surprise attack' (with no capital letters) when I come back out from behind it?

5e Surprised condition vs. 4e Surprise Round. (Full disclosure: I use the latter in my 5e game. If I ever have an Assassin in my group, I'll have to learn the former.)

Acting on player knowledge not character knowledge. Example (from HotDQ):
My character sees the Rogue open a treasure chest, get a face-full of dust, run away screaming wildly, and jump in a lake.
My player knows the Rogue is hallucinating, is trying to swim down to the bottom of the lake, and is going to drown.
Can / should I jump in after and save the Rogue?

Casting a spell when you can't aim it properly (around corner / no line-of-sight, overhead at flying foe, through keyhole, terrain provides cover/concealment/both from each other)

pdzoch

Explorer
Attacks of Opportunity.

But this training video was helpful. :)
[video=youtube;4iF72W_7tuM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iF72W_7tuM[/video]

GMMichael

Guide of Modos
... may offer up some common adjustments that experienced DM's use in their home games.

I don't see the problem. If players are having fun, there's nothing to correct.

And please do not tell DMs they're doing it wrong by using rules that aren't in the book, and then tell them about the "adjustments" that DMs use that aren't in the book.

Remove ads