D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

jeffh

Adventurer
Okay, found the rule. So if passive checks are normally "taking 10", on a passive check with disadvantage you're "taking 5" and with advantage, "taking 15". Kind of interesting actually.

I withdraw that part of what I said, though the last paragraph is still true regardless.

SubDude

Explorer
I've considered everything up to this point, and have completed my presentation. I've uploaded a PDF to the first post in this thread as well in case anyone cares to see it.

Pathkeeper24601

First Post
I've considered everything up to this point, and have completed my presentation. I've uploaded a PDF to the first post in this thread as well in case anyone cares to see it.

A very interesting and well put together presentation. Will have to recommend it to some players struggling with some edition differences.

Oofta

Legend
Just a couple of minor notes

I'd probably word your Opportunity Attacks a little differently. Typically "A Turn" refers to a creatures turn, and there are as many turns as creatures in the combat.

Page 70 basic rules
Reactions
When you take a reaction, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn.​

Number 6 of your 10 commandments (I know I'm being picky here but I program for a living), it should be unless the damage is > 21 or unless the damage is >= 21

Druid "No walking hawks"?

Other than that, it looks good!

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
Some notes...

Is this intended as a presentation? If yes I'd say that the slides contain too much information. I would recommend that you prepare a PDF handout with the details and just have a summary on the slide. That way you'll talk off the slide rather than read the slide and have everyone fall asleep :)

There are a number of duplicate slides?

All caps is tiring to read. Use caps for slide titles but mixed case for the bullets.

Good presentation, nicely put together.

I'd recommend a few changes to #6 (Concentration).

I. Concentration ends if the caster is killed or incapacitated. He doesn't have to be knocked unconscious--someone who is paralyzed or stunned or incapacitated (e.g. by Hypnotic Pattern) is not unconscious, but does lose concentration on spells.

II. Explicitly call out the fact that casting a spell that takes longer than one action requires concentration, and therefore breaks concentration on other spells.

III. Add "caster chooses to cease concentrating" as another ending condition for concentration spells.

Harzel

Adventurer

First of all, good on you for doing all this work. The last slide is a nice touch. :)

I wish that I had seen this yesterday; at this point you may already have given or be giving your presentation. In case you see this in time, if you have time for just one thing, I strongly recommend what another poster already said - if at all possible, give handouts of the slides before the presentation.

You have by my count 57 slides, not including titles, etc. The 3-minute-per-slide rule of thumb says that that is about 3 hours of presentation if you do nothing but talk to the slides. I know, no one (including me) can ever believe this about their own presentation going into it, but it is fairly accurate. And that is if you hurry. If you do not have that much time, be aware that you will have to make some sort of adjustment.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if your presentation is mainly you talking, people will recall about three (maybe up to seven) facts from your presentation. Therefore, your main goal should be to motivate them to engage the material after the presentation.

I could ramble on, but those are the main things. Good luck, or if you're already done, I hope it went well.

Last edited:

tardigrade

Explorer
Fantastically useful (threat and the PDF) - thanks. I'd ideally prefer to have sources/explanations for most of these if possible, but I appreciate that would be an enormous job.

One minor error I spotted: the thing about elves trancing appears twice (actually, it's literally the first and last topic!). ;)

robus

Lowcountry Low Roller
Supporter
First of all, good on you for doing all this work. The last slide is a nice touch. :)

I wish that I had seen this yesterday; at this point you may already have given or be giving your presentation. In case you see this in time, if you have time for just one thing, I strongly recommend what another poster already said - if at all possible, give handouts of the slides before the presentation.

You have by my count 57 slides, not including titles, etc. The 3-minute-per-slide rule of thumb says that that is about 3 hours of presentation if you do nothing but talk to the slides. I know, no one (including me) can ever believe this about their own presentation going into it, but it is fairly accurate. And that is if you hurry. If you do not have that much time, be aware that you will have to make some sort of adjustment.

The other thing to keep in mind is that if your presentation is mainly you talking, people will recall about three (maybe up to seven) facts from your presentation. Therefore, your main goal should be to motivate them to engage the material after the presentation.

I could ramble on, but those are the main things. Good luck, or if you're already done, I hope it went well.

Good points Harzel. I looked through the presentation again and I agree that there's way too much here for one presentation. I would break it into 4 separate presentations.

1. Top 10 mistakes
2. Interesting class features
3. Spellcasters
4. Odds and Ends

Just do the first one and see how it goes. What you have now is overwhelming!

SubDude

Explorer
Well, the talk got postponed due to actual playing of RPGs that nobody wanted to stop for a rules discussion! I may get to do this in the near future and I'll incorporate the adjustments noted above as I am able. Heading out of town for a while, though, so I won't be adjusting this until probably early July.

Remove ads