• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What Rules do you see people mistake or misapply?

Harzel

Adventurer
Almost fifty posts with but a single possible rule to add to the discussion.

Anyway, regarding the invisibility debate, is it possible that all creatures are objects, but only living objects are creatures? I haven't delved into the rules on this one, but was wondering.

AFAIK, 'creature' and 'object' are not defined terms in the rules, so you would expect them to have their plain English meaning. However, many spell descriptions say "creatures and objects" or "creatures or objects", or describe the effects on "creatures" and "objects" separately - implying that a 'creature' is not an 'object'. So I usually read 'object' as 'object that is not a creature'. FWIW.

Harzel

Adventurer
Just to refresh our memories...

My FLGS has a large number of new players, particularly in Adventures League. It really took off after I ran Vault of the Dracolich last year. Unfortunately, I'm seeing a general lack of knowledge of the rules. Everyone is just playing, which is great; but even the new DM's don't seem to have read some of the rules. One example, I was confidently told last week that the ASI / Feats go with your total level, not your class level. I explained, perhaps not too politely, that this was exactly the opposite of correct and why it was so.

Anyway, with this background in mind, I am planning on doing a "RAW Talk" (exact title to be determined) where I'd like to go over some common errors and misconceptions and hopefully show some folks how a lot of these errors actually matter (where they do, of course). I'll probably go over the RAW for a given topic and may offer up some common adjustments that experienced DM's use in their home games.

So, what rules would you suggest that I ought to highlight? I have the Ameron blog post "10 Most Common Mistakes DMs and Players make in 5e D&D," and I'll certainly use this as a starting point. But what else would the collected wisdom here recommend?

I very much appreciate your input.

I'm sorry, but I think I am the one that keeps quoting rules. I have yet to see you reference one.

Probably the best way to put it is that the primary way to become unnoticed is the Hide check even when invisible. This is what the DM has to rule against when allowing a creature to become unnoticed any other way. This is what the player can expect to work 100% of the time. The DM and players and follow those written rules with perfect confidence. I think somewhere the original poster says he is looking for consistent rules for multiple tables in an AL type setting. Ruling the Invisible condition as it is in the book satisfies this condition. That a DM can rule otherwise is about exceptions, not the rule.

No, that's not really what he said; see above.

The approach that [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] uses I think qualifies as an "adjustment that an experienced DM uses in their home game", so it seems like reasonable fodder for the thread.

On the other hand, the approach is neither a misconception, nor a mistake*, so I don't understand why the negative commentary on it is relevant for the thread.

* Clearly, some consider it a mistake in the sense that they don't like it, but it does not contradict RAW.

Oofta

Legend
Almost fifty posts with but a single possible rule to add to the discussion.

Anyway, regarding the invisibility debate, is it possible that all creatures are objects, but only living objects are creatures? I haven't delved into the rules on this one, but was wondering.

I agree with [MENTION=6857506]Harzel[/MENTION], and would just add that basically anything that shows up in the monster or is an NPC is a creature. It gets a little bit gray when you're talking about things like animated armor or golems who are powered by magic and don't have an innate life on their own, but they are still considered creatures for purposes of the game.

It does get a little bit odd when a Magic Missile can target a creature but not an object (unless your DM overrules that which is fine), but generally spells that target creatures are targeting intellect or life force itself.

So ... yes. If it has a life force (and even undead ghosts or vampires have something powering them) it's a creature.

Oofta

Legend
Just to refresh our memories...

No, that's not really what he said; see above.

The approach that [MENTION=6801845]Oofta[/MENTION] uses I think qualifies as an "adjustment that an experienced DM uses in their home game", so it seems like reasonable fodder for the thread.

On the other hand, the approach is neither a misconception, nor a mistake*, so I don't understand why the negative commentary on it is relevant for the thread.

* Clearly, some consider it a mistake in the sense that they don't like it, but it does not contradict RAW.

Another take on this is that some people approach things from a game-centric perspective while others (such as myself) approach it more from a simulation that uses game rules to make it work. I have no problem accepting that where the rules leave off, the DM needs to decide what kind of world they're trying to simulate. In my case it's as closer to "realistic-if-there-were-dragons" than anything else.

Olive

Explorer
MikeMearls said:
Is there anything that you see other people do in D&D that makes you cringe? I know it's all "to each their own," but do you find some common practice to be "wrong"?

The idea that the rulebook has all the answers and that the DM answers to it.

From this thread

I thought it was relevant...

Mortilupo

Explorer
Yes precisely because it is a spell and not a normal environment. No matter how good your perception, if you don't have the means to see an Invisible creature (See Invisible spell or special sight etc.), you can't see it. You may be able to hear it unless it's using other means to cloak that.

Mortilupo

Explorer
Now you are just getting desperate to argue, having been shown you don't know the meaning of the word you challenged.

The DM is defacto the ultimate authority in their game. Long rests happen when they say they do, not any other time.

If they randomly roll it's because they CHOSE to determine randomly... In an arbitrary manner.

In which case, it happens because of story and the DM's decision, not because they are an elf and have unbalanced magic powers.

Unless you have something to add though, let's not derail this thread further.

Long rests happen when the players decide to take them. Whether they ultimately get the benefits of it is up to the DM, big differance.

Remove ads