• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should be turned into a RPG?

JVisgaitis

Explorer
In no particular order:

Dune. I'm so mad the d20 version never saw the light of day.
Halo. The books by Eric Nylund were awesome. It would make a cool RPG.
Fringe. If there is one TV that has crazy RPG worthy stuff, it's Fringe.

Fallen Seraph

First Post
For me somethings I would like to see turned into RPGs (either just Settings or full-blown RPGs):

-Elder Scrolls: Morrowind: This was such a interesting world and had lots of elements that are quite unique to it that it be great to see in a RPG format.
-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura: This I think is one of the best Steampunk meets fantasy games out there and elements such as magic vs. technology and the real mechanical impact that has be interesting to see in a RPG.
-Dune: It is freaking DUNE! It is a setting where you could get a good mix of crazy combat both hand-to-hand and also futuristic. As well as some of the most cut-throat diplomacy and social situations ever.
-Ghost in The Shell: Stand Alone Complex: This one would probably serve better as a setting, but SAC I find is a nice break from lots of the grim and gritty Cyberpunk games/settings.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
-Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura: This I think is one of the best Steampunk meets fantasy games out there and elements such as magic vs. technology and the real mechanical impact that has be interesting to see in a RPG.

Victoriana is basically that. I'm running a game of Victorian monster hunters with it right now, and it's a blast.

dm4hire

Explorer
Dresden Files and Doctor Who are in the works. I can't remember who's doing what but I have been to the website for Dresden Files and Doctor Who info came from the President of the Iowa Doctor Who fan club, who runs the store I go to in Des Moines.

I don't think this one was mentioned either, but Hellgate: London would be a pretty good game also. Limited classes, but they are very diverse in the game. Lots of monsters to play with also and mission/adventures can very. Maybe design the game to encompass the entire world.

The Human Target

Adventurer
I'm not super big on licensed RPGs of even things I really love.

But I'd be interested in seeing a Malazan Book of the Fallen game.

Morally murky superhero fantasy epic sweetness.

Like Exalted, but cool.

Switchblade

First Post
Ah! I can't believe I forgot to mention this!

I'd lovelovelovelovelove a game based on Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

It's been a while since I read JS&MrN but I seem to remember thinking it reminded me of Ars Magica, if Ars was set after magic had faded and the Order had died out.

The style of Ars works, often the story would skip ahead as it took months for them to invent a new spell that might only get used once, which kinda fits Ars. Magic in ars often ends at sun up/down in both. A instructive book on magic is a treasure that is most valued and would drive adventures trying to find a lost book. Alternate realms such as faerie regios, I could go on and on. Yes, and faeries are very pesky foes in Ars.
Though to factor in the lower power I'd consider using the hedge magic rules for natural magicians, as fully gifted charcters may be a little too powerful. Either that or insist that everyone takes certain flaws to alter their magic to fit.

Not to sure about the newest version of ars, I'm not a great fan but I think magic has been downpowered slightly and progress slowed so it may fit even better without needing to look at hedge magic rules.

JVisgaitis

Explorer
So many of these shows can easily be done with existing systems.

Any show can be done with systems we have, but that isn't the point. Its all of the fluff and stuff that comes with the RPG that makes it what it is. That's what I would want. I don't care about the mechanics, I want fluff and story stuff.

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
I like some of the ideas that have already been suggested, such as The Venture Bros., Doctor Who, Thundercats, and The Dresden Files. Some I would add are Eureka, Gargoyles, The Seventh Tower, Futurama, and Magic: the Gathering.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads