• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should be turned into a RPG?

Krensky

First Post
I desperately need a game based on Science! Not "science," but "Science!" I need a game in which the players play a group of researchers who unleash science experiments gone horribly wrong that threaten the entire globe. I need a game in which the players have a supply of expendable grad students that die horrible deaths in teleporter accidents. I need a game that mixes The Fly, "grey goo" stories, "Portal", Half-Life, and Frankenstein with Paranoia. I need a game that feels like this:

Might I direct you to: Warehouse 23: GURPS IOU

Darrin Drader

Explorer
So many of these shows can easily be done with existing systems. For example, all you need to run Battlestar Galactica is a system that has rules for starships, robots, and a basic modern or better combat system. The rest is all setting.

Take X-Files or Fringe. Either of these could easily be done with any system that handles modern. If you want more source material, add in the Menace Manual and the Dark Matter book.

I'd be far more interested in seeing a licensed setting book for an existing system than a bunch of new custom games.

Hella_Tellah

Explorer
So many of these shows can easily be done with existing systems. For example, all you need to run Battlestar Galactica is a system that has rules for starships, robots, and a basic modern or better combat system. The rest is all setting.

Take X-Files or Fringe. Either of these could easily be done with any system that handles modern. If you want more source material, add in the Menace Manual and the Dark Matter book.

I'd be far more interested in seeing a licensed setting book for an existing system than a bunch of new custom games.

To an extent, I agree, but too often the system encourages behavior that doesn't mesh with the narrative style of the source material. I could run X-Files with d20 Modern, but d20 Modern makes it way too easy to get into a gunfight and succeed. In X-Files, guns are used for posturing and threatening, and are almost never fired. I could use Mage: the Awakening to run a game based on the Dresden Files, but then I'd be converting all of the creatures of the Nevernever into spirits, which doesn't quite fit the sort of bargaining process Harry goes through--he wouldn't bring a faery a bowl of honey, a piece of bread and some milk just to get information. I could run Battlestar Galactica with Star Wars Saga Edition, and just cut out the Force, lightsabers, and non-human races, but I'd still have a game that encourages over-the-top action rather than gravelly-voiced, whispered threats in claustrophobic rooms.

I prefer a system that cleaves to the source material and makes scenes that resemble the source material the natural result of following the rules. Sometimes, I can do that by making a new setting for an existing game: True Blood with World of Darkness, Ender's Game with Traveller, etc. There are plenty of cases, though where the rules just don't help you tell the same sorts of stories. A lot of this can be done by encouraging players to play along with genre conventions, but you also need the die results to match the narrative logic of the source. The Man With No Name shouldn't miss when he's shooting Random Bandit Extra Number 5, but he would miss in almost every roleplaying game that has the player roll to hit. I think there's something to be said for a system that gives you narratively expected results.

Son_of_Thunder

Explorer
Here's my list

Thundarr the Barbarian
David Gemmell's Drenai Saga
Raymond Feist's Midkemia
David Eddings Belgariad, Mallorean, and Elenium, particularly the knightly orders in the Elenium
The Deeds of Paksennarion particularly the religions, knightly orders and races
Lord of the Rings

The thing is I agree with an above poster that these can be done using existing systems. I've done most of the above with AD&D 2e.

Afrodyte

Explorer
Ah! I can't believe I forgot to mention this!

I'd lovelovelovelovelove a game based on Susanna Clarke's Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell and The Ladies of Grace Adieu.

And as cliche as it sounds, a Sin City game wouldn't be remiss either.

Arawn76

Explorer
Hmm.

Terry Brooks Shannara series.

Terry Brooks Knight of the Word Series.

Katherine Kerr's Deverry series.

Something inspired by the urban fantasy of Charles de Lint.

Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold. For a light hearted game.

Neil Gaiman's American Gods.

Off the top of my head.

I would use classic unisystem for most of the above.

Remove ads