What should be turned into a RPG?

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Hm. Not Hunter the Vigil then? Not that I've played that one, mind you. Or even read it. . . but it sounded like it could do that kind of show with its eyes closed. Er. Or something.

No, I'd say WoD core. The characters on the show don't have the kind of supernatural powers that Hunters in the game do.

Chainsaw

Banned
Banned

I'd love to see a good GI Joe RPG, heh. You could play an old famous character (scores of these) or create a new one (new guys were ALWAYS showing up in the comics). Guessing you wouldn't really need a GI JOE specific system though, eh? Probably a GI Joe setting box/booklet with some rules adaptations for an existing game system (GURPS? RIFTS? D20 Modern?) would work.

There are alot of cool ideas in this thread, but they might be better served with settings than actual ground-up new systems. Tough part's probably getting the parent companies to license out the trademarks, I suppose. Nobody wants to accidentally screw up their brand.

Calico_Jack73

First Post
No, I'd say WoD core. The characters on the show don't have the kind of supernatural powers that Hunters in the game do.

Sam's psychic abilities aren't supernatural? If anything Sam would be in line to join the Lucifuge conspiracy.

Dean was singled out to be retrieved from Hell for some purpose and we know that Angels have been told to obey his commands.

Sounds pretty supernatural to me. :)

Truth be told, most Hunters in HtV don't have supernatural powers. Instead they learn Tactics which usually give them some sort of advantage against an enemy when it is successfully used.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_the_vigil

Last edited:

Zaukrie

New Publisher
Brust's Jhereg series offers a ton of possibilities. Lots of different types of magic, good fights, plenty of fluff, plenty of politics, it's all really there for someone to write (which I believe Monte Cook once said he'd like to do, but I may be remembering that wrong). He has more than one protaganist group going (if you also look back in time). I think these books could be played without feeling like you'd need to play the protagonist(s) from the books.

Obviously Midkemia/Kelewan should be a game, but I understand that the author believes his house rules could NEVER be done with real core rules (this one always cracked me up) and has rebuffed all attempts to license his books.

I'd like to see some rules for the coldfire books (where you imagine it, it can become real), but it would take a lot to create a whole RPG from this series.

The Deed of Paksanaarion (sp?) books would make a good RPG, but again you'd need to do some major work, and these books have one central protagonist, so I'm not sure it would work.

WayneLigon

Adventurer
I'd say the TV show Supernatural, but honestly, it already exists. It's called the World of Darkness core book. ;)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Supernatural-Role-Playing-Game/dp/1931567492"]Supernatual RPG[/ame] should be released any time now from Margaret Weis Productions, Ltd

Drkfathr1

First Post
I'd absolutely love to see Transformers and GI Joe!!! Hell, I'd be first in line for the GI Joe RPG.

Another toy/cartoon series that would be awesome as an RPG would be HE-MAN and the Masters of the Universe.

Heck yeah! I totally forgot Masters of the Universe.

I'm really surprised we haven't seen Transformers or GI Joe though, since Hasbro has the rights to those properties! D20 Modern would probably work for Joe easily enough, but Transformers would have to be something fairly new.

dm4hire

Explorer
Thunder! Thunder! Thunder Cats, HO!!!!!!

All kinds of variant races there for the playing as well as kickbutt villians.

Monte Cook style for the lock and win.

Remove ads