D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

grimmgoose

Explorer
To be fair, I think there are also folks exhausted by the wholesale overhaul of editions. WotC wants to break the wheel.
I get that, but for me, there's gotta be some kind of middle ground. It feels less like "breaking the wheel" and more like "quickly pave more road so the wheels don't fall off". The wagon is still the same, the road is still the same (this metaphor is really getting away from me 😂).

D&D 2024 feels like, "sales are declining, and we need our primary customer base to spend more money," which I get it, capitalism, but I just don't see anything that's worth the money they are going to ask of me.

payn

He'll flip ya...Flip ya for real...
I get that, but for me, there's gotta be some kind of middle ground. It feels less like "breaking the wheel" and more like "quickly pave more road so the wheels don't fall off". The wagon is still the same, the road is still the same (this metaphor is really getting away from me 😂).

D&D 2024 feels like, "sales are declining, and we need our primary customer base to spend more money," which I get it, capitalism, but I just don't see anything that's worth the money they are going to ask of me.
I hear ya. I want more too. I think folks miss the direction in gaining sales by making more books instead of getting folks digital as the plan seems to be.

• slightly increased proficiency bonus (+2 to +8). Expertise is only *1.5
  • bonus languages/proficiencies for high int scores.

• Standardized subclasses. To prepare for the other proposals
  • Cross class subclasses. Everyone can be a monster hunter.
  • Multiclass subclasses as an alternative to 3e style multiclassing:
instead of a subclass, for example you can take the wizard subclass as a fighter or a rogue and be a fighter(wizard) or rogue(wizard). So you can throw the eldritch knight and the arcane trickster out. To get the lost abilities back I'd add synergy feats.

-I hope this is not only a wish here, but actually in the book we are getting: all saves for save or suck spells to be repeatable. At worst a 3 saves/3 success spell for permanent/long lasting effects.

-also I hope for Xanathar's guide downtime activities and tool proficiencies actually being in the 2024 book.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
See, this is also what I expected: A new entry point that cleans up the rough edges and clears up confusion, while ALSO being something of a supplement for old players. Like, instead of repeating the same subclass for the Fighter they give you the Champion, the updated Battlemaster and then two new subclasses, with one that can fill in the gap of 'Magic Using Fighter' without being a clone of the Eldritch Knight (Would be cool to see a Fighter+Artificer subclass that has a steampunk sword he constantly upgrades!).

Also the Artificer in the PHB.
Exactly. Don’t make a “revised core”, make a standalone expansion.

Exactly. Don’t make a “revised core”, make a standalone expansion.
The problem with that is easy: the phb has every species and class you want.. So what is left for the standalone expension?
I would expect a reprint of the species and classes anyway. And core spells.
And then? Instead of hill dwarves and mountain dwarves we get gold and silver dwarves? Instead of high elves and wood elves we get silvenesti and so on? Instead of lightfoot halflings we get kender?
And instead of battlemasters we get war experts?

I don't think that is helpful.

So lets take a look at 2e. There we had more or less a standalone expension in skills and powers...
But if you are honest: it is rather a revised core than anything else.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The problem with that is easy: the phb has every species and class you want.. So what is left for the standalone expension?
I would expect a reprint of the species and classes anyway. And core spells.
And then? Instead of hill dwarves and mountain dwarves we get gold and silver dwarves? Instead of high elves and wood elves we get silvenesti and so on? Instead of lightfoot halflings we get kender?
And instead of battlemasters we get war experts?

I don't think that is helpful.

So lets take a look at 2e. There we had more or less a standalone expension in skills and powers...
But if you are honest: it is rather a revised core than anything else.
I explained how I would do it in post 5.

Argyle King

Legend
•I would have liked to expand upon how Backround features from the original PHB worked, rather than cutting them from the game.

•Re-do monster math so that increasing HP is not the primary way to make things higher level. If less HP means that creatures die faster, then have encounter guidelines that assume more creatures and more moving pieces.

•Better-indexed books

•Proficiency Dice as the default (rather than a flat proficiency bonus)

•Reformat the game to assume 30 levels instead of 20 -which gives each tier of play more opportunities to be a complete experience and self-contained when wanted.

•Revisit the 4E idea of Paragon Paths (with a tiny bit of influence from 3rd's Prestige Classes) and figure out how to bring that concept into 5E in a partially class-agnostic way. What I mean by that is that you could have Paragon Paths that do not assume one particular class. For example, there could be a Paragon Path for more melee combat focus that could be entered by any character meeting the requirements to enter, or perhaps you might have a Fire Elementalist PP that would grant additional benefits when using fire spells or abilities. You could have less Paragon Paths than classes; each PP could cover a broader archetype, while also allowing a character choosing one to have a more specific focus on something.

•Revisit how 5E approaches resistance and immunity. I think there is room for a little bit more granularity there.

I'm sure there are other things too, but those items are my initial thoughts.

Reynard

Legend
There is certainly value in D&D feeling like D&D and a new edition holding on to some design tropes and sacred cows even if they aren't, strictly speaking, the best choice.

I am realizing that I really wanted a true new edition and will,in fact, probably never get one again.

Remove ads