D&D (2024) What Should D&D 2024 Have Been +

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
I may have my timetable wrong but wasn’t Monsters of the Multiverse part of a set that included a bunch of tweaks and updates?
It was released as part of a set that included Xanathar's and Tasha's, as a supplement gift set for people who only owned the core books. (Pandemic supply chain issues meant it missed the holiday shopping season, though.) There was a hobby shop version with new covers and a new screen, but I don't recall anyone rushing out to buy the set if they already had Xanathar's and Tasha's. (I'm sure there were a few people who did that, but they're likely also the people who buy multiple copies of books already.)

I think most people just waited and got Monsters of the Multiverse later on.

cbwjm

Seb-wejem
De-couple the Ideals, Bonds, Flaw, Personality from backgrounds. Backgrounds are a great way to customize your world, but having the lists for role-playing traits attached made it too much of a bother to create them
I had completely forgotten that bonds, flaws, ideals are a part of backgrounds. It wasn't long before I stopped using the and I'm not sure any others in my games used them either.

DarkCrisis

Reeks of Jedi
They don’t want to scare anyone off while selling a new core 3, thus why it’s a .5 Ed like 3/3.5. You may never see a big rules change again like 2-3-4. This is D&D now with just tweakes every few years to sell more core 3.

ART!

Deluxe Unhuman
"Should have" is stronger than I'd like to prescribe, but evolutions that I would have liked to see include:

1. Get rid of the confusing, multiple uses and meanings of "levels". If you're going to keep 20 levels, distribute the 9 levels of spells into 20. You get 5th level spells at 5th level. Or pull a 13th Age and just have 10 class levels and 10 levels or spells. Just, anything to clear up what is complete nonsense to new players.
2. Either make Ability scores actually do something worth keeping them around, or get rid of them and just use the modifiers.
3. Get rid of "saves" as a term, and just have that kind of thing be an ability check.
4. Get rid of the term "proficiency", and just use "skill" and "skilled" instead.
5. Support social and exploration tiers with maneuvers, spells, conditions, damage, etc - this will require a lot of rethinking, like reworking conditions so they can be combat-, social-, or exploration-related. (I'm actually working on this right now).

That's just off the top of my head at work here.

I think there's a lot of unnecessary, confusing language and structural stuff in the game that doesn't really accomplish much.

Zardnaar

Legend
Honestly, it should have been 6th edition. 5e had good 10 year run. Playing it since it was D&D Next and i think most of us who are in the same boat are ready for something new.

I haven't looked at any playtest material for upcoming 5.5e, cuse i don't see much room for changes while maintaining full backwards compatibility. I applaud better book layout, better clarifications and such technical updates. But in the end, under new coat of paint, it's still 10 y old system.

I've been thinking about this. After 10 years hmmn.

I could happily recycle the 5E engine but go in a different direction.

5E success really constrains creativity though as you don't want to upset the player base.

Zardnaar

Legend
They don’t want to scare anyone off while selling a new core 3, thus why it’s a .5 Ed like 3/3.5. You may never see a big rules change again like 2-3-4. This is D&D now with just tweakes every few years to sell more core 3.

I think they will eventually overhaul 5.5.

In ten more years people will be fairly sick of it imho. If it tanks before then then to go back to the drawing board.

We don't really have anything comparable to go on in modern era. Or with social media existing. 1989 was last major revision to an edition.

Remove ads