• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What should I buy?

RSKennan

Explorer
Historically, I haven't bought a lot of WotC books, since I've preferred to focus on open content that I could potentially reuse. I'm also on a tight budget, so I rarely get to buy a book anyway.

But today, I'm buying a book. I think I'd like to get an official WotC book of some kind. Considering the fact that the only WotC Materials I own are the core books and the Monster Manuals, What should I buy? What's the latest book taking the hobby by storm?

RSKennan

Explorer
Aus_Snow said:
Hm. What do you like? What do you dislike?

. . . (in RPG books)
Assume I like everything. I prefer to DM, so anything that helps with that would be best.

Sorry for being unclear. I'm just trying to get a feel for what's out there.

Hjorimir

Adventurer
Spell Compendium
Magic Item Compendium
Player's Handbook II

If you like to tinker with the rules (like I do)
Unearthed Arcana

chobin foot

First Post
True20/Blue Rose, Mutants & Masterminds, Iron Heroes, C&C, or some other OGL/D20 variant ;) Or wait for Star Wars Saga Edition to see what you can filter back into D&D to make it run more smoothly.

BenjErik

First Post
WOTC Products I own (not including core):

Libris Mortis is a good one if you're moderately interested in running undead themed games, or using lots of undead baddies.

Draconomicon is probably the best, and only supplement dealing with dragons that is actually useful without going overboard. Some nice options for dragons, and for other characters who either want to be friend or foe to dragons.

Psionics Handbook is nicely put together, and adds another layer of interest to campaigns, if you want to open up that can of worms. Its not for everyone though.

Book of Exalted Deeds / Book of Vile Darkness
This pair is pretty damn cool, but the balance of the exalted stuff is... questionable. I definately use materials from both though on a regular basis. Having truly evil villains, and noble heros makes the game more memorable IMO.

Stormwrack is good for the streamlined ship combat rules, and the deckplans and descriptions of various ships. Worth looking into if you use costal regions or ship based travel in your campaign.

Im looking at Magic Item Compendium and/or Weapons of Legacy for my next WOTC purchase. I dont typically use items straight out of the book, but from what I have heard of these two, they will be a gold mine of ideas!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads