• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What size groups are you most comfortable DMing for?

How many people are you comfortable DMing for?

Votes: 34 15.9%

Votes: 58 27.1%

Votes: 102 47.7%

Votes: 146 68.2%

Votes: 151 70.6%

Votes: 104 48.6%

Votes: 29 13.6%

Votes: 20 9.3%

Votes: 9 4.2%

Votes: 6 2.8%

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • 12+

Votes: 7 3.3%

Asmor

First Post
How many people do you really feel comfortable DMing for? Note that I'm not asking what your minimum/maximum limits are, but what range you feel most comfortable working with. For example, I'd be willing to run anywhere from 1-8 players, but my comfort zone is 3-6.

Please check all that apply (i.e. if you chose 3-5, check 3, 4 and 5).

Oh, and just to keep it somewhat standard, assume you're running D&D, RAW or a similar level of complexity, and no arbitrary restrictions (for example if you run an RPGA game, you're outright prohibited from having more than 6 players).

Seeker95

First Post
I've had groups as large as 8, and it dragged too much. Six is my max. That's how I voted. (The problem with polls on the News page is they do not include the post that explains how the poll isn't really asking what the poll-maker is asking.)

I prefer 4.
Minimum 2.

Gilladian

Adventurer
4 does seem to be the optimal number. My group right now is 2, and it is too small for what I consider really good play. But scheduling is easy! I'm adding a third player this afternoon. I HOPE he works out, as the last one did not.

I can handle five happily, six is a bit of a strain, and I will never try DnD 3.5 with seven or more again. It is just too many people. I could do it but the level of fun to frustration is lowwwwww.....

Asmor

First Post
Tell me about it...

I sort of "inherited" my current group. I started playing someone's game, it eventually grew to like 8 people (counting the DM), then I started running a game for the group too. We're all friends out of the game, so it's not a simple matter of kicking people out.

Thankfully, right now it's down to 6 players in my game, but I think I might end up adding a seventh soon. :/

A few weeks ago I ran a game where 3 of the people were missing. It was so much different, we actually got through an entire (admittedly small) dungeon, with lots of combats and some roleplaying to boot.

I wish I had the luxury of a smaller group. :/

Wombat

First Post
I'm best with 4-5.

Barring that, give me one-on-one, but that is for very intense gaming and many of my players are simply not into that.

Woas

First Post
I'm assuming we are voting on the number of players at the table, not the total number of people at the table (X amount of players +1 DM)?

Anyway my 'zone' is three to five players, with four being the perfect number.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads