D&D 5E What sorts of things are you working on? (3PP or personal use homebrew)?

Li Shenron

Legend
Not working on anything right now... just some background planning to run Tomb of Horror for my children in the summer, probably later converting the original myself rather than buying the 5e book.

Contrary to the 3e era, I've done very little custom work in 5e. The only serious work I've done for 5e is my conversion of the Rokugan setting.

I do have a couple of other long-term ideas that I'd like to work on, but probably never will: designing my own perfect character sheet, and the accompanying spell/action cards.

Satyrn

First Post
I'm working on my 42 year plan to END the Paladin class.

Lowkey: We must prepare for tomorrow night.
Satyrn: Why? What are we going to do tomorrow night?
Lowkey: The same thing we do every night, Satyrn - try to end the Paladin class!
Satyrn: Nerf!

Quickleaf

Legend
Currently working on 5e Al-Qadim conversion with a group of folks, for free release on DM's Guild. Currently playtesting. Taking most of my gaming time.

Also have a big adventure for 5th-10th level called Shadow of the Faceless God, bridging Faerun, Kara-Tur, and Zakhara – based in the heretofore barely explored Utter East pitting the PCs in a race against the yakfolk to discover their "Faceless God" reincarnated in mortal form. Very pulpy, exotic overland travel, horror/conspiracy-based adventure. Will be for sale on DM's Guild. I really enjoy writing adventures most. :)

And continuing to tinker on my Warrior class (fighter re-design) on ENWorld when I have a chance.

Just curious to see what folks are working on. I've got a wild hair, and have been going through all of the Dragon magazines and converting all of the classes there into 5e. Yeah, it's gonna be a long process lol (there were A LOT). Trying to keep as close to how the class appears in the magazine as much as possible. Naturally this means they aren't balanced at all, and some things may seem a bit wonky, and a lot of the abilities are NOT my idea ;) But a fun project nonetheless if you're the type of person who finds that interesting.

For example, the very first class to appear (in Dragon, not counting Strategic Review yet) was in issue #2, the Alchemist

Alchemist
Appearance: Dragon #2, page 28

Students of the elements, chemistry, and biology, alchemists use their secretive knowledge to create powerful and rare potions, poisons, and salves. The ultimate goal for alchemists is to be able to transform lead into gold, a secret to date that has not been unlocked.
That does not mean that the alchemist is a failure, however. They hold the knowledge and recipes to some of the most powerful concoctions known to man. These secrets are closely guarded, and are only taught to trusted pupils.

Creating An Alchemist
When creating an alchemist, consider the knowledge and equipment needed in order for the alchemist to thrive. Every alchemist must have a knowledge source, which most commonly includes a teacher or a discovered tomb containing recipes. In addition, an alchemist needs the appropriate supplies, materials, and area in which to create their potions, poisons, and salves. While an alchemist might be able to craft common potions on the road, some potions require a very stable environment in a laboratory for days on end.
Next, determine your motivation for becoming an adventurer. Are you searching for rare items? Lost books?

Quick Build
To quickly build an alchemist, select wisdom as your highest attribute score, followed by intelligence. Then choose the sage background.

Class Features
As an alchemist, you gain the following features:

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per alchemist level
Hit Points At First Level: 5 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points At Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution Modifier

Proficiencies
Armor: light
Weapons: one-handed simple and martial weapons
Tools: alchemist’s supplies, poisoner’s kit

Saving Throws: Wisdom and Intelligence

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment of your background:
• Dagger or hand axe
• Long sword
• Alchemist’s tools
• Explorer’s pack
• 2d4 jars
• Component pouch

Alchemy
Many of your created items will force a target(s) to make a saving throw. Whenever this happens, your Saving Throw DC is:

Save DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + Wisdom modifier

Prepare Potions
At first level, you are able to craft common potions, poison, and oils. If you are attempting to extract poison from a creature, double your proficiency bonus on the check.

Detect/Neutralize Poison
At first level, you have the ability to detect and neutralize poisoned creatures. By spending an action, you can attempt a DC 12 Intelligence check to identify the nature and features of the poison.
In order to neutralize the poison, you may spend an action to apply the proper anti-venom. By successfully passing a DC 15 intelligence check, the effects of the poison will end at the start of the poisoned creature’s next turn.

Read Languages
Your skill at deciphering ancient text and symbols gives you an affinity for translating language. By making a DC 10 Intelligence check, for every minute you spend reading, you can decipher and translate up to five words per level.

Prepare Acids
Upon reaching 3rd level, your skill at alchemy expands to that of dangerous acids. You can create vials of acid as detailed in the Player’s Handbook (pg 148). By making a successful Nature check (DM determines DC rating depending on area), you can find enough material to create one acid flask per day equal to your Wisdom modifier.

Identify Potion
Upon reaching 3rd level, you can identify potions as to their content and function. By spending a minute studying the potion or oil, and passing a DC 10 Intelligence check, you can accurately identify the item.

ASI or Feat
Upon reaching 4th level, you may choose to allocate 2 points to any of your ability scores, or select a feat. You gain an additional ASI or Feat at levels 8, 14, and 18.

Blade Venom
At 5th level, you gain the ability to coat your melee weapon with dangerous toxin. At the end of a short or long rest, choose which type of toxin from the list below you will apply. This toxin will last for one hour, and does not wipe off after a successful or unsuccessful attack.
• Poison (target must made a successful Constitution save against your DC or suffer an additional 2d6 points of poison damage. This damage increases to 3d6 at 11th level, and 4d6 at 17th level).
• Paralysis (target must make a successful Constitution saving throw or be paralyzed until the start of its next turn).
• Vesicant (target must make a successful Constitution saving throw or be wracked with pain, suffering disadvantage on all attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws for the duration. This toxin will last for one minute, or until a successful saving throw is made, which can be attempted at the start of the target’s next round).

Upon reaching 19th level, you may apply two toxins at once to your blade, but not two of the same type.

Prepare Alchemist Fire
This ability allows you to craft alchemist fire as it appears in the Player’s Handbook. Along with additional materials that can be found fairly easily, each vial consumes one flask of oil in the construction. Up to one vial per Wisdom modifier score can be carried at any given time. Any more than that, and the alchemist risks disaster from them colliding during transport.

Resistance
Upon reaching 6th level, the alchemist gains resistance to all poison damage, or all damage from chemical weapons (like flasks of acid and alchemists fire).

Read Magic
Upon reaching 7th level, the alchemist can also read arcane magical scrolls (wizard spells), and cast the spells as if he or she was an eligible class three levels lower than his or her alchemist level. I.e., a 7th level alchemist can use wizard spell scrolls as if he or she were a 4th level wizard.

Split Potions
When reaching 9th level, you have learned to take a partial potion and add ingredients to allow it to act as a full potion. In effect, you can double the number of potions you may have. This dilution can only be done once per potion; you cannot keep diluting further.
This process is time consuming, and you can only split one potion per short or long rest.

Enhanced Bombs
When reaching 10th level, your vials of acid and alchemist fire become more potent. Each vial of acid has its damage increased to 3d6, and the base damage of the alchemist fire is increased to 1d8 per round.
At 17th level, this damage is further increased to 5d6 and 2d8, respectively.

Spell Replication
At 11th level, you have a limited ability to create potions that replicate some wizard spells. Only one potion can be created per short or long rest, and each retains its potency for one week. The total spell levels of all your potions cannot exceed your alchemist level.
For example, if you are a 13th level alchemist, you can create 13 potions of level 1 spells each, 2 potions of level 5 spells and one potion of a 3rd level spell, etc.
When opened (or broken), the spell takes effect with the center of affect being where the potion was opened/broken.
Spells that can be replicated:
• Burning hands
• Fog cloud
• Grease
• Silent image
• Thunderwave
• Cloud of daggers
• Continual flame
• Darkness
• Gust of wind
• Hold person
• Magic mouth
• Shatter
• Web
• Dispel magic
• Fireball
• Major image
• Remove curse
• Stinking cloud
• Evard’s black tentacles
• Ice storm
• Wall of fire
• Cloudkill
• Wall of force
• Wall of stone
• Chain lightning
• Otiluke’s freezing sphere
• Wall of ice
• Reverse gravity
• Incendiary cloud
• Meteor swarm

Enhance Potion
Upon reaching 12th level, you have the ability to increase the effectiveness of all potions you create. All effects of the potion are doubled, if applicable. A potion of climbing would last 2 hours instead of 1, a potion of healing would heal 4d4+4 hit points, etc. However, a potion of storm giant strength wouldn’t give you a strength of 48; you would still have a strength of 29.

Mass Production
By the time you reach 13th level, you are so skilled at producing potions, poisons, and oils, that you can create them twice as fast as described in the Dungeon Master’s Guide (p. 129).

Master Crafting
When you reach 15th level, you no longer need to know the spell or ability in order to craft a magic item (see Dungeon Master’s Guide, p. 128).

Frugal Creation
When you reach 16th level, the costs associated with crafting magic items, potions, and poisons are all reduced in half. See Dungeon Master’s Guide (p. 129).

Artillery
At 17th level, you have learned the ability to upscale your alchemist fire to be extremely potent. The range increases to 60ft, and any creature within 5ft of your target creature takes half damage as well each round until they make a successful Dexterity check to extinguish the flames.

Philosopher’s Stone
The pinnacle of alchemy, this ability allows you change lead into gold. Once per long rest, you can change up to 50 coin weight of lead into an equal coin weight of gold per wisdom modifier.
That is, if your wisdom modifier is +4, you can change 200 lead coins into gold coins. This process takes an entire day to complete.
While there is no mechanical drawback of this power, be warned of the in game impact. If some powerful enemy hears of your ability to do such a thing, they very well may come looking for you…

Cool, I didn't realize the Alchemist was the first new class to appear in DRAGON. Two quick comments on your design...

(1) The DMG magic items section has a small chart describing the "rough level magic items (common/uncommon/rare/very rare/legendary) should be available to PCs." I would use that to determine what kind of potions the Alchemist can make at a given level.

(2) The 3rd level Identify Potions kind of sucks because according to the DMG a character can just taste test a potion to identify it. I've seen very few 5e campaigns where poisons/cursed potions are so common as to make Identify Potions worthwhile... Now this would be useful if playing an AD&D campaign where poisons/cursed potions were like 1/3rd of the potion list.

Last edited:

thewok

First Post
I made a version of the Shadowknight from EverQuest in 5E, basing it off the Paladin skeleton. But since I was the only one of my friends who ever played that class in EQ or EQ2, no one's ever shown any interest in trying it out. I may need to put an NPC in based on the thing to let them see how it works first-hand. The way I made it wouldn't necessitate the creation of an evil character--a neutral character would fit in just as well--but it definitely has a ... sadist inclination to it.

I'm also working on cementing my cosmology for my homebrew setting, which currently has no name. It's a mish-mash of FR and 4E with a little bit of EQ ideas thrown in. I have a few gods that don't appear in any previous system, as they're former PCs of my friends given lesser deity status. I'd like to replace a few more of the FR gods, though. I might kill of Corellon at some point. Or I might just make him permanently female and rename her, and then turn the elves into a wholly matriarchal society.

I am low on space, so I can't keep all my 4E books. So, I"ll be converting what I liked about those classes and races and then getting rid of them to Half-Price Books or something. I'll be keeping the fluff books like Menzoberranzan, though.

Sacrosanct

Legend
Cool, I didn't realize the Alchemist was the first new class to appear in DRAGON. Two quick comments on your design...

(1) The DMG magic items section has a small chart describing the "rough level magic items (common/uncommon/rare/very rare/legendary) should be available to PCs." I would use that to determine what kind of potions the Alchemist can make at a given level.

(2) The 3rd level Identify Potions kind of sucks because according to the DMG a character can just taste test a potion to identify it. I've seen very few 5e campaigns where poisons/cursed potions are so common as to make Identify Potions worthwhile... Now this would be useful if playing an AD&D campaign where poisons/cursed potions were like 1/3rd of the potion list.

I don't disagree, but I am trying to emulate the Dragon Magazine version as much as possible. There are definitely certain abilities of classes in those magazines that I personally would not give (like the samurai having the ability to cast illusions.) Also, that was just a rough rough draft. I had the same feelings you did, and later revised it to read:

Prepare Potions
At first level, you are able to craft common potions, poison, and oils. If you are attempting to extract poison from a creature, double your proficiency bonus on the check.
At 5th level, you can craft uncommon potions and oils. At 11th level you can craft up to rare potions and oils, and at 17th level you can craft up to legendary potions and oils.

Also, to be pedantic, if you count Strategic Review (precursor of Dragon), the first class to appear was the Ranger. Then the Illusionist.

In Dragon, so far I have: Alchemist, Healer, Jester, Witch, Ninja, and Samurai done. Next is the Bounty Hunter

Last edited:

Sacrosanct

Legend
The Jester has been the most interesting so far (again, these are in no way balanced against the classes in 5e, and this is a very rough draft). Largely because I can envision how most of the jokes would play out in the game, with the player really getting into it lol:

Jester
Appearance: Dragon #3, page 28

Jesters are amusing fellows who attempt to catch their audience off guard through humor, and are so skilled this may even cause much confusion in combat as well. PCs that have odd or unusual physical features can make the best jesters because they use this as a tool incorporated into their jokes. For this reason, it is entirely possible for a disfigured dwarven jester to have a very high Charisma score.

Creating A Jester
When creating a jester, silliness and humor are your driving factors and key motivation behind the character. However, just like in real life, there are many forms of humor, so the jester you create doesn’t have to be a comedy jokester like how they are commonly portrayed in media. The jester could be a master of physical comedy, jokes, self deprecating humor, insults, etc. Not all jesters wear hats with bells.
After you have decided on what type of jester you want, you need to come up with a motivation as to why they would be part of an adventuring team. Do they have additional skills such as lock picking that would add value to the team? Did they insult the wrong person and are on the run?

Quick Build
To quickly build a jester, choose charisma as your highest ability score, followed by dexterity. Then choose the entertainer background.

Class Features
As a jester, you gain the following features:

Hit Points
Hit Dice: 1d8 per jester level
Hit Points At First Level: 8 + Constitution modifier
Hit Points At Higher Levels: 1d8 (or 5) + your Constitution Modifier

Proficiencies
Armor: light
Weapons: simple weapons
Tools: thieves’ tools

Saving Throws: Charisma and dexterity
Skills: Choose three of the skills from the Player’s Handbook (p. 174).

Equipment
You start with the following equipment, in addition to the equipment of your background:
• Dagger or hand axe
• Short sword
• Thieves’ tools
• Explorer’s pack or dungeoneer’s pack
• costume

Humor
Many of your jokes and tools will force a target(s) to make a saving throw. Whenever this happens, your Saving Throw DC is:

Save DC = 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier

Of the jokes listed below (Basic Jokes, Skilled Jokes, etc), you may use as many jokes per short rest equal to your Charisma modifier, regardless of which joke you are using.
For example, if you know both Basic Jokes and Proficient Jokes and have a Charisma modifier of +3, you can use any combination of jokes up to 3 times per short rest.
Additionally, unless otherwise noted, all targets of jokes must have an intelligence score of at least 6 in order to “get” the joke.

Unarmored Defense
While not wearing any armor, your Armor Class becomes 10 + your Charisma Modifier + your Dexterity Modifier.

Jester’s Weapons
You are skilled at using items no one would ever think would be a weapon. You are proficient with the following items:
• Smelly sock (5ft range. One target. Constitution saving throw or suffer 1d4 poison damage).
• Acid squirting flower (5ft range. One target. 1d6 acid damage or Dexterity save for half).
• Laughing gas balls (50gp. 30ft range. One target. Constitution saving throw or suffer uncontrollable laughter, resulting in disadvantage on all attack rolls until the start of the jester’s next turn).
• Pie (10ft. One target. Make a ranged attack roll. On a hit, target is blinded until they take an action to remove the pie).
• Dirty underwear (10ft. One target. Constitution saving throw or target is stunned until the start of the jester’s next turn).

Basic Jokes
Anyone can tell a basic joke, but it takes true skill to master timing and presentation. A good jester has learned these skills to such an extent that they may take on magical like qualities.
You have learned the following jokes, each of which takes an action unless otherwise noted:
• Giggle (30ft range. Up to 20 hit points of creatures, starting with the fewest. Targets giggle uncontrollably, suffering -1 on all attack rolls saving throws for one minute).
• Pun (30ft range. Reaction. One attacker targeting the jester. Must make a Wisdom saving throw or get caught off guard, stopping their action until the start of their next turn).
• Body Contortion (until the start of your next turn, you gain a +2 bonus to your Armor Class. This can be used as a bonus action).

Charisma Expertise
Upon reaching 3rd level, any skill that you are proficient in that uses Charisma as the core ability will be rolled at double your proficiency bonus. Any Charisma based skill you are not proficient in will use your standard proficiency modifier added to that roll.

Ability Score Improvement
Upon reaching 4th level, you gain 2 points which you can distribute among your ability scores, or gain a feat. You gain an additional ASI or feat at 8th, 14th, and 19th level.

Proficient Jokes
Upon reaching 5th level, your joke arsenal is expanded. You know the following additional jokes, all of which require an action to invoke unless otherwise noted:
• Pause (30ft. One target. Must make a Wisdom saving throw or pause what they are doing for 1 minute. A new save can be attempted at the end of the target’s next turn each round to end this effect).
• Joke (Same as the Giggle joke above, but up to 45 hit points may be affected, and the penalty is -2 to relevant rolls).
• Funny Face (can be used as a bonus action. Grants advantage on the next Charisma check roll you make within the next minute).
• Laugh So Hard It Hurts (30ft. One target. If the target fails it’s Wisdom saving throw, it laughs so hard that is suffers 3d6 bludgeoning damage).

Tumbling
When you reach 6th level, you no longer provoke attacks of opportunity.

Skilled Jokes
Upon reaching 7th level, your jokes become even more potent. You learn the following jokes, all of which require an action to invoke unless otherwise noted:
• Wonder (Same as Pause above, but may affect two targets).
• Ventriloquism (Throw your voice up to 30ft away. This joke does not count against your joke limit per short rest, and can be combined with any other joke as if the point of origin of said joke is where you throw your voice).
• Thighslapper (requires 2 consecutive actions to tell. Range 60ft. Up to one target per Charisma modifier. Targets must make a Wisdom saving throw or fall to the ground laughing immediately until the start of your next turn).
• Personal Attack (30ft. One target. Target must make Wisdom saving throw or be enraged and do whatever it can to get close to you and attack. This attack is made at disadvantage. This effect lasts for 1 minute, but the target can attempt a new saving throw at the start of each of your turns to break out of the effects).

Second Chance
When you reach 9th level, if you fail any Charisma based check, you may immediately reroll and take that result.

Expert Jokes
At level 10, you learn expert jokes, each of which requires an action to invoke unless otherwise noted.
• Boring Joke (this acts like a sleep spell, as if cast from a level 5 spell slot).
• Decrepitating (This is a fart, literally. 30ft range. All creatures within the area of effect with an intelligence of at least 6, including allies, must make a Wisdom saving throw or either fall the ground laughing or be taken aback by disgust, unable to take any other action until the start of your next turn).
• Extension (this can be used as a bonus action. It doubles the duration of any joke currently affecting a target).
• Strange Actions (Combine the Body Contortion joke with any other joke).

Cantrip Jokes
When reaching 11th level, you have become so skilled with jokes, that basic jokes no longer count towards your limit of jokes you can invoke per short rest.

Master Jokes
Upon reaching 12th level, you have learned the following master jokes, each requiring an action unless otherwise noted:
• Pity (30ft. All targets within range. Can be used as a reaction. All targets must make a Wisdom saving throw or be unable to attack you until the start of your next turn).
• Distraction (60ft. One target. Target must make a Wisdom saving throw or be distracted. Choose one damage type: fire, frost, poison, force, necrotic, or physic. Target now has vulnerability to that damage type for one minute. If the target had resistance to that type, it no longer has resistance, but also does not have vulnerability).
• Gutbuster (60ft. One target. If target fails Wisdom saving throw, it begins to laugh violently, and is unable to perform any other actions until the start of your next turn. Additionally, the laughing is so violent, the target suffers 5d6 of bludgeoning damage).
• Quick pun (all Basic Jokes can now be cast as a bonus action).

Mimicry
Upon reaching 13th level, you can choose any class feature from any other class other than spellcasting that is gained at level 1 of that class.
For example, you can choose the barbarian’s rage, a fighting style, or bardic inspiration. If applicable, this ability does not increase in power as you level.

Grand Master Jokes
Upon reaching 15th level, you have learned Grand Master Jokes, each of which takes an action unless otherwise noted:
• Insult (30ft. One target. If the target fails a Wisdom Saving throw, one three results will take place. Roll 1d6. On a result of 1-2, the target flees until the start of your next turn. On a result of 3-4, the target does everything it can do to attack you (similar to the Personal Attack joke above) until the start of your next turn. On a 5-6, the target is so impressed that is considered charmed, as per the spell description).
• Die Laughing (60ft. Affects up to 75 hit points of creatures, lowest total being affected first. The affect depends on the current hit point total of the creatures at the time of the joke: 0-25 hit points: dies instantly. 26-50 hit point: suffers disadvantage on all rolls until the start of your next turn. 51+ hit points: suffers a -1 penalty to all rolls until the start of your next turn).
• Obscenity (30ft. All creatures within range. Effect depends on alignment. LG, LN, and NG alignments are so offended that they become hostile towards you, suffering disadvantage on all rolls until the start of your next turn. LE, NE, CE, and CN are so impressed that they are in effect charmed by you (as per the spell). All other alignments are unaffected, as are your party members, who are used your vulgarity).

Dexterity Expertise
At 16th level, any skill which you are proficient in that uses Dexterity will now have double your proficiency bonus applied for rolls. If you are not proficient in a Dexterity based skill, you will now apply your proficiency bonus to that skill.

Jester’s Jokes
When reaching 17th level, you have truly mastered the best of all jokes. You have learned the following jokes, each of which requires an action to invoke unless otherwise noted:
• Killer (Similar to Die Laughing above, but a total of 150 hit points are affected).
• Ballbuster (60ft. All chosen targets within range must make a Wisdom Saving throw or laugh so hard that they suffer physical damage. Each target that fails will be incapacitated until the start of your next turn, and suffer 5d6 bludgeoning damage).

Enhanced Cantrip Jokes
Upon reaching 18th level, your Proficient Jokes no longer count towards your limit of jokes per short rest that can be used.

Projection Jokes
When you reach 20th level, you can enhance your ventriloquism out to a range of 150ft, and center any joke at that point of origin. Your jokes also affect all creatures, and not just those with an intelligence of at least 6.

Last edited:

Tales and Chronicles

Jewel of the North, formerly know as vincegetorix
I'm slowly working on a setting book for the Nentir Vale as a Pastoral/Heart Fantasy setting for my campaigns.
Not that my players will care, but I love writting stuff and I just had a second wind of creativity when I let go of my need to make everything dark, gritty, realist or whatnot.

Remove ads