What the #%*+ are Forum XP?!

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
And if you disagree with a post please don't laugh at it. If you disagree, post your disagreement or remain silent. Laughing at sincere posts is rude IMHO.

Laughing isn't necessarily derogatory.

I use it when they are funny and I'm laughing with them.

Lanliss

Explorer

True. If it was meant as derogatory it would not give xp, and would instead take it away. Also, I can't imagine those in control of the forum giving forumites a way to mock someone in a single click.

BoldItalic

First Post
I think the title says it all, friends. Been awarded XP twice now, and curious how much a i need to level up to a 2nd Level Forum--uh, Forumer, I guess??...
If you go to the FAQ (look in the thin row of links under the banner) and search for "experience points" you get some information but some of the details are a bit out of date. The points needed for going up a level are 10 points for level 2 (you've hit that already :) ) and 23 points for level 3.

Laughs are meant to be used to reward funny posts. In the league table, XP and laughs are listed separately but they are added together to determine your level. Some people use laughs in a negative way to indicate scorn, without realizing that they are actually promoting the person's total and therefore their level.

Don't take it too seriously. It takes years to get into the higher levels.

I think that was robus' point. Laughing should be used the way you use it, and not the way other people use it, to mock. Otherwise people could get confused and think that friendly laughter was mockery, which ruins things for those of us who believe in friendly laughter.

Lanliss

Explorer
If you go to the FAQ (look in the thin row of links under the banner) and search for "experience points" you get some information but some of the details are a bit out of date. The points needed for going up a level are 10 points for level 2 (you've hit that already :) ) and 23 points for level 3.

Laughs are meant to be used to reward funny posts. In the league table, XP and laughs are listed separately but they are added together to determine your level. Some people use laughs in a negative way to indicate scorn, without realizing that they are actually promoting the person's total and therefore their level.

Don't take it too seriously. It takes years to get into the higher levels.

Because who doesn't want to reach the exalted level of Lama? By the way, what is a Lama? A possible misspelling of Llama, or some sort of D&D monster?

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member

Indeed. The laugh function is designed to show appreciation for a joke. If you feel somebody is using it to hurt someone else, please report it so we can take a look. I can always remove the "laugh" function from those who abuse it, but I need to know about it.

Remove ads