• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What to do with the APG?

Kirnon_Bhale

Explorer
Well, first off this is sadly not a Darksun thread (I am dreading August as it is going to be an horrendously expensive month what with all the Darksun goodness and the Ravenloft Game and the Psionic Power all coming out in that same month. Dread to wonder if the new D&D heroscape figures are out then too.)

Anyway this thread isn't about any of the above.:p

The one and only non-WoTC RPG product that I have ever bought was the Advanced Players Guide - I really love this book - although with the advent of all the classes in said book I find that I don't use it so much anylonger.

I decided to pick it up again last night for a read and because I am currently playing a Monk looked up the Martial Artist(Monk). With a few small tweaks it seems that Ari was not too far off the mark with the way the monk plays out in the official version - thus this has implications for the use of the Monk Paragon paths.

Has anybody done any sort of conversion/update/tweak of the paragon paths to make them mesh with the Official monk - what about the powers?

I ask because I find the current crop of Paragon paths in PH3 a little wanting and think that I would love for example the Four Winds path to be updated to fit. Love the thought of a monk with a range 4 ranged attack. Or is it a little overpowered to have that?

Anyway just a question. Haven't yet looked at the feats regarding Monk - might find a little more love for him there too.

Anybody else still page through it - even more does anybody still use it especially considering the Character Builder?

Last edited:

Derulbaskul

Adventurer
(snip) Anybody else still page through it - even more does anybody still use it especially considering the Character Builder?

I have used it, and my 3.5E books, as inspiration for attacks for NPCs.

The reality is that the Character Builder means that nobody in my group will use any non-WotC product to create a character but sometimes I like the ideas that the APG provides for my NPCs (and same with spells, classes and prestige classes from 3.5E books).

Remove ads