• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What TTRPGs have the best tactical combat rules?

The newest edition of Twilight 2000 is my favorite for gun-heavy tactical combat. Nothing else comes close. Incredibly fast resolution, manages to feel very realistic without bogging you down in mechanics, instead focusing on how important movement, cover, and suppressing fire are. And the only RPG I've ever played or read with suppression rules that aren't terrible. In fact, they're amazing! And the fact that combat move so fast is related—losing your turn because of suppressive fire (or even just a near miss) isn't the nightmare it is in most trad games, since it'll be your turn again soon.

It's a little hard to manage T2K via VTT, though, which is the only reason I'm not running it every week (or at least trying to).

Thomas Shey

Legend
My personal recommends here would be PF2e (though D&D4e is absolutely defensible), the Hero System and Savage Worlds. There are others (like Fragged Empire) that are at least worth a nod.

Argyle King

Legend
Edge of the Empire is pretty good.

There are a few areas that could be written clearer, but, overall, I feel as though the game encourages teamwork and tactically working together.

I also like that it's not beholden to a CR system for encounter design. The game can handle the group being split into multiple skirmishes (on or off planet) without the players feeling the need to sacrifice what makes sense from an actual tactical standpoint so as to serve the artificial restraints on combat introduced by a game.

My personal recommends here would be PF2e (though D&D4e is absolutely defensible), the Hero System and Savage Worlds. There are others (like Fragged Empire) that are at least worth a nod.

My biggest issue with Savage Worlds as a tactical game is one of my biggest issues with it, in general—I think the exploding dice set an undeniably zany tone. But maybe there are ways to avoid or mitigate that.

pogre

Legend
Millennium's End (2nd Edition) - every single decision matters in this system. It's a little too detailed and cumbersome for my tastes, but still have some fond memories of running it.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
My biggest issue with Savage Worlds as a tactical game is one of my biggest issues with it, in general—I think the exploding dice set an undeniably zany tone. But maybe there are ways to avoid or mitigate that.

Wheras they seem more like a critical hit standin to me, and I'm used to those, so...

Savage Worlds is definitely swingy. Whether that is a feature or a bug is a matter of taste. I, myself, like it. I generally think uncertainty enhances tension and that is a good thing. Plus, PCs in SW have lots of Bennies to mitigate the worst results.

ismrpg

Villager
Pretty much what is on the tin. What games that are meant to be RPGs (with all that implies) have the best rules for tactical combat?

Obviously, this is going to be somewhat subjective, but I want to be clear that I am referring specifically to tactical rules, where positioning and choices matter. It doesn't have to be grids and minis, but it still has to be tactical (independent of whether there are narrative elements at play).

So in your opinion, what TTRPG has the best tactical combat rules?
I'm surprised DnD, especially 5e makes the list. I hear lots of good things about Lancer though.

Dissatisfaction with DnD is why we specifically designed Interstellar Mercenary (www.ismrpg.com) system - to provide tactical options for players with a progressive system that allows GMs to add more rules as players are ready. It includes:
  • weapon ranges, stances, size differences, weapon strike differences (thrust, slice, pommel hits etc);
  • hi and low tech combat options, vehicular combat, mounted combat;
  • realistic wounds with impacts on characters;
  • clear rules for taunts, feints, counter hits, combinations;
  • martial arts including grappling techniques;
  • the list could go on.

I think the most important part about the system is it puts the decision making back in the hands of players. They can quickly know what tactical options they have available to them and their advantages/disadvantages. It also assists the GM with minimal downtime for players.

jgsugden

Legend
You kind of need to define best as it is really subjective. Some rule sets are very realistic - but overly burdensome in details. Some are not so realistic, but facilitate better combat storytelling with rules that cover cinematic activity (like swinging from chandeliers, doing flips to avoid attacks, etc...) Some are simpler to facilitate large numbers of troops being adjudicated at once.

If we know more about what you want, specifically, we can make better suggestions.

All that being said - 5E hits the sweet spot for me by being a balanced game that supports great fantasy storytelling with rules that are as detailed as they need to be. It isn't perfect, but I have far fewer house rules in 5E than in any other edition.

Remove ads