• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What (type of) Book Would You Spend $100 On?

azmodean

First Post
If I had a group that would let me run it, I'd consider a $100 campaign book, a.k.a. world's largest dungeon, or the world's largest city I've heard is in the works. As far as new mechanical content is concerned, I already have enough of that, unless it were made more accessable, but then it wouldn't be a book (I'm thinking of a heavily cross-refrenced database of spells, items, monsters, etc... and a suite of tools to work with it, which I have worked toward writing in the past, and will continue working on once I have some free time again. Believe me though, if someone came along and offered me a completed product along those lines that did what I wanted, I'd drop $100 for it in a heartbeat. Then again, considering my feature list, it wouldn't be only $100.)

JoeGKushner

First Post
World's Largest City may get my funds. It sounds interesting and I enjoyed the World's Largest Dungeon.

If the Mongoose Monster book is packed with great art, I'll buy it. 1K pages for $100 seems about fair to me.

I think it's just a price point thing. Most, not all I'm sure, just don't want to invest that much in a single book.

KB9JMQ

First Post
Well I was gonna get World's Largest Dungeon but I won it at Gencon instead. ;)
I said in the other thread that I might shell it out for a Monster book if I am really impressed with it.
Maybe some kind of compilation of older modules which have been updated such as B Series or the G-D-Q series with nice handouts and pull out maps (for mini use also).

BiggusGeekus

That's Latin for "cool"
I honestly can't imagine anything that I would spend $100 on. WLD and WLC seem like the books are too huge to really use as a reference. It's just too much book. Kind of like knowing that a sports car is a good buy at $100,000 but not really needing that kind of car and knowing that if you had that kind of car you'd be spending all your time just making sure it was in tip-top condition.

Crothian said:
THis should make Green Ronin Happy: Thieves World

OK, except for that.

devilish

Explorer
I did pay $100 for WLD at GenCon but only b/c I could get it signed by
the author.

I'd pay $100 for a complete SuperHero system that had the same feel of
Marvel Superheroes RPG (and the Infinite Powers book ) but was fully
d20 compatible. GM Guide/Players/Monster/World guide included.

Arnwyn

First Post
philreed said:
But what type of (game) book would you spend $100 on?
One of three types of products:

1) A giant detailed module with loads of high-quality color maps (including multiple poster maps) and locations, and easily insertable into my campaign setting.

2) A giant detailed city product with loads of high-quality color maps (including multiple poster maps).

3) (From Shade's post, above) A complete 3.5 update of an entire defunct campaign setting (for me, it would be Spelljammer or Al-Qadim).

3a) And maybe (again, from Shade's post):A book similar to Ed Greenwood's Nine Hells articles in Dragon, that goes into incredible depth on any (or all) of the lower planes. (Depending on the author, and it would have to be consistent with Planescape.)

In other words - location products only (I care nothing for character-related material these days).

Remove ads