• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What (type of) Book Would You Spend $100 On?

Dakkareth

First Post
Which leads me to wonder what type of book people would spend $100 on.
A signed limited edition book by my favourite author. In fact I just did. Ohh, you were talking about gaming books? No way, then :p.

Ferret

Explorer
I spend $100 (£60 quid?) on a compilation of more then one existing monster book, or maybe a large one with gold edging.

Oops, Silly me misreading the question. A compilation of like 3.5 faerun books or other such mixes. A larger UA type book maybe, but I'd have to like it all.

Mercule

Adventurer
I don't have any settings that I'm too invested in, but I might consider $100 for Greyhawk done right. Mostly, that'd look like the gold and red box, with the resources tagged, national alignments marked, weather generation, etc. but even more detail along with some PrCs, NPCs, organizations, and that sort of thing.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Odhanan said:
A Deluxe [PHB+DMG+MM+Unearthed Arcana] rulebook. For my library.
Heh. I bought the pdfs from rpgnow. The text and graphics are selectable/cut-paste-able.

I've been slowly working on my "Monster Manual: Omnibus Edition" for about six months. It's going to be several volumes: Dragons, Devils, Demons, Giants and Humanoids, Bizarre (Owlbears and Flumphs, for example).

So it could be done, but the rights would have to be secured.

der_kluge

Adventurer
I can't imagine spending $100 on any gaming related product. I think it'd have to be damned awesome before I did that.

That said, something along the lines of a really awesome campaign setting (REALLY subjective, there), with a 1-20 module, and supplements would be worth that much.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
After further consideration, I might plunk down $100 for a re-edited and cleaned up World Of Mystara, which would compile the GAZ series, but it would need to have separate maps, and come with both OD&D and d20 stats (at least the one not included being a web enhancement), before I would do so.

3catcircus

Adventurer
I'd pay $100 for a complete re-do of Greyhawk. I'd also pay for a *complete* re-do of the Forgotten Realms, including Zakhara, Kara-Tur and Maztica.

The book would *have* to have the following (whether Greyhawk or Forgotten Realms):

1. Detail on each region to at least the level of detail in the FR region books.
2. Detail on all of the races and languages - to at least the level of detail in Thomas Costa's "Speaking in Tongues" Dragon Magazine article - and appropriate real-world equivalents for language and culture.
3. Detail on all of the various monetary systems and coinages, including "standard" exchange rates.
4. Detailed trade and economic information (imports and exports by region and city, major trade routes, taxes and tariffs, etc.)
5. A detailed full-color map of the entire world and various smaller scale maps for selected regions and cities, including climate maps, and also lat/long information and astronomical data.
6. A view of the night sky from both northern and southern hemispheres and information on the inhabitable moons and planets in the solar system (Spelljammer information).
7. A set of updated fonts for the various alphabets in use (such as Espruar, Thorass, Chondathan, Draconic, etc. for FR) - either as an included CD or downloadable.
8. If you wanna make it leather-bound with a book-mark, that'd be even better.

Sammael

Adventurer
I might pay $100 for a Planescape re-issue, with materials from all sourcebooks compiled into one GIGANTIC coffee-table sized book with even more art by DiTerlizzi. Oh, and poster-sized maps of the Great Wheel, Sigil, and all mappable planes.

Remove ads