• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What was the first monster you killed in D&D?

What was the first monster you killed in D&D

• Drow

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Grimlock

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Orc

Votes: 63 17.8%
  • Ogre

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • Kobold

Votes: 52 14.7%
  • Goblin

Votes: 96 27.1%
  • Hobgoblin

Votes: 5 1.4%
  • Player race (standard PHB) clarify which one

Votes: 24 6.8%
  • Gnoll

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Giant

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Dragon (holy!!)

Votes: 6 1.7%
  • Bugbear

Votes: 8 2.3%
  • other...please tell

Votes: 92 26.0%

RFisher

Explorer
The spider in the sample dungeon in the Moldvay Basic Set.

Of course, my dad--whom I recruited as DM--read the room's entire description so it had no chance to surprise us. :)

Hammerhead

Explorer
Gnoll. I was playing a greedy human Thief named Slinker, and I shot him with a bow. I seem to recall using that bow nearly exclusively back then. It was in the First Quest box set.

The first kill ever by a character I made up was that same gnoll, by a Human Fighter.

Pants

First Post
A sleeping Kobold.

Yes, as if Kobold's weren't dangerous enough, I was so brave that I managed to kill one while it was sleeping.

I was a human fighter.

Cannibal_Kender

First Post
My first PC was an elven fighter, and the first thing she killed was the sheriff (seems Sheriff Rosco was a mite displeased at her for robbing the general store). As she was first level and the sheriff was third, this might have been a fatal mistake except for a (very) timely natural 20 with a two-handed sword.

Barovan

First Post
I am guessing at this as it was 25 years ago and I was eight but the first game I ever played in was the Demon Web Pits module and remember Driders...so I think it must have been driders. Funny thing I remember was my first characters name was Lynard Skynard...I had no idea it was the name of a band when the character was given to me....

blizack

First Post
My first encounter was with a tanystropheus (dinosaur from the AD&D Monster Manual II), but I didn't end up killing it. I threw some food at it and ran away. Maybe not very dignified, but it looks like I wasn't the first kid who had their character run from the first encounter.

First kill was a human bandit who tried to mug my character.

Remove ads