What was your first ever D&D product?

johnsemlak

First Post
It's interesting how many people started with the red D&D basic set. This, despite the fact that the basic set was in fact a separate game from the more popular AD&D and was not meant to be an intro version.

Could that set have been viewed as a D&D-lite version, that eased people into what was then AD&D?

Would a similar product work now?

Last edited:

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
My first D&D purchase was "Greyhawk", the first supplement to the original white-box D&D. I couldn't afford the white-box, but I could afford Greyhawk... and it introduced so many rule refinements that we were basically able to play just with that.

My first RPG purchase was a little earlier:

Dragon issue 4 (the empire of the petal throne special)
Metamorphosis Alpha (by James Ward)
News from Bree (fanzine by Hartley Patterson).

Cheers

Frostmarrow

First Post
The first one was 1st edition Player's Handbook (the one with the blue cover) and my first mod was Under Illefarn (the very first adventure in Forgotten Realms?).

lord irial

First Post
Mine was the green boxed Basic set, back in the winter of '78, when Basic was supposed to be a lead-in to the as-yet-unreleased Advanced. I still have the very tattered copy of B1 that came in the box, the rest is lost to the ravages of wear and tear.

Come to think of it, at this hour of the morning, I'm feeling fairly tattered myself.

Last edited:

Hygric

First Post
Well, mine was the basic set in 1979. The blue rulebook, dice chits and module B2. Either sixth or seventh printing near as I can figure. Ahhh, the joys of being 7! Oh dear, that means that I have now been role-playing for... 23 years... hmm...

I still have that poor old beaten copy of B2. :cool:

madriel

First Post
My brother and I pooled our allowances on vacation to buy the red box with the Elmore cover-probably the 12th printing. We picked up Keep on the Borderlands at the same time.

I still have the books and the d20 around here somewhere.

Lurks-no-More

First Post
Red box w. the fighter-and-red-dragon cover (Elmore?), Finnish translation.

It was quickly followed by the blue box (Expert rules? Levels 4-14), and I think that's the single most played RPG product I've ever owned.

Remove ads