• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

What we've been looking at in software

Klintus Fang

First Post
dvvega said:
1) the random generation of numbers ... that is something computers can have have been able to do for many many decades ... how do you tell the computer to do something it normally does? I'm assuming the point here is to have it interpret random generation in regards to d20 itself, not in general.

As an off the cuff example (not saying this is a good implementation):

<characterGenerationMethod>
<dice>d6</dice>
<number>4</number>
<specialRule>drop lowest</specialRule>
</characterGenerationMethod>

kingpaul

First Post
Hardhead said:
First, high rolls are *not* always better in the d20 system. If I'm dying, for instance, and I'm trying to stabilize, a low roll is better. So right from the start, you're working from a bad premise.
That really depends on your POV. From your statement, I assume that you're looking for anything below a 10 on a d% roll. What about those who are looking for above 90? Both POVs satisfy the 10% chance of success.

Last edited:

bolie

First Post
Stat Rolling

Sign me up as not understanding how one can "fail" at rolling stats. Nor do I understand how a character generator program that allows for rolling of stats might possibly compete with an actual game.

My cynical side can't help but think that this is an attempt to make non-WotC character generator programs less competitive. After all, e-Tools obviously can generate stats...

Bolie IV

dvvega

Explorer
Bolie: the "threat" exists ... for example:

If I developed a piece of software that did EVERYTHING. It allowed character creation, running combat, even displaying maps etc ...

it would only be a step or two away to make it completely automatic (no user input of dice rolls from players etc) and thus an interactive style game.

For example: NWN ... DM can create an adventure, party goes through it and gains experience, levelling, while DM runs it. Everything is automated ... and you've just done essentially what you do in PnP. Of course this would bore me to tears since I love the face to face roleplaying aspect, but the point is made.

smetzger

Explorer
dvvega said:
Bolie: the "threat" exists ... for example:

If I developed a piece of software that did EVERYTHING. It allowed character creation, running combat, even displaying maps etc ...

Well duh, attack rolls have success or failure as well as skill checks. So, that would be against the d20 license and you would have to use the OGL.

The point is you cannot fail to roll your attributes and you cannot fail when choosing your race and class.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads