What will you be doing with the new World of Darkness?

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Mouseferatu said:
I'm not going to say that I think every last change is superior, because there are certain little details I prefer from the old game.

The way languages are handled immediately pops into my head. :) Overall though, the changes are superior. It's much more wide open, and I can easily see a game of VtR handling the old-school political type games, some butt-kicking combats, spooky scary stories and anything in-between. Which is good because my stories tend to be a mixture of all that stuff.

Ohyeah, and you can rack up Derangements like nobody's business...:-D

Nightchilde-2

First Post
Thanee said:
Geez, there's another version of that game out?

I have the two versions of V:tM before that. Are there big changes involved?

Bye
Thanee

In many cases, HUGE changes. For one, this isn't a continuation of the VtM line, it's a whole new game.

You need two books now. The World of Darkness book which gives info on mortals, ghosts and all the rules and Vampire the Requiem which is chock full of nothing but Vampire goodness, and there's a lot of it since all of the combat and task resoultion is in the WoD book.

The system's VERY different. It's VERY streamlined compared to some of the clunkiness of the old WoD system. Though I haven't tested it yet, combat seems much more dangerous and deadly, and, yet, cooler all at the same time.

There are only 5 clans. Period. There are also Covenants which are like philosophical/political/religious (depending on the Covenant) divisions. There are rules for creating your own Bloodline, which are just offshoots of the 5 clans (for example, you can be of the Morbus bloodline, but your parent Clan is Mekhet).

Generation is gone, replaced by Blood Potency, which can rise or fall depending on circumstances in the story.

So..in summary...lots of stuff has changed; a lot more than I've listed here. It's a whole new system, a retelling of the World of Darkness and Vampire the Requiem. Yeah, you'll recognize some of the names and the concepts, but they've pretty much all been reworked.

oh. And the best thing? No metaplot.

Vanuslux

Explorer
The whole lack of meta plot thing appeals to me, as does the fact that they're going the route of having the core rule book and seperate books with all the Vampire (and coming soon Werewolf and Mage) stuff. Most of the rule changes sound good. However, I'm not sure I'm grooving on the setting stuff I'm hearing about. I'll give it a go when I have some money to spare, though.

Campbell

Relaxed Intensity
One of the more interesting elements of Requiem seems to be its tighter ties to Anne Rice's works, espicially in reguards to the more predatory elements of Vampire society. The new rules framework involved within the confines of meeting other Kindred for the first time seems to reinforce the amount of fear and jealousy individual Vampires feel towards one another.

JesterPoet

First Post
I wasn't planning on picking them up, but then saw them at GenCon and caved.

All I can say is, holy crap, the Vampire book is huge! It's going to take me forever to get through this stuff.

Wombat

First Post
I'll be really interested to see what they eventually do with Mage; I might take a peek at Werewolf.

Vampire? Nah. I never got into the idea of being an angst-ridden leech with legs.

I will miss Changeling, however -- that was always my favourite WoD game.

Zappo

Explorer
I think I'll start a purely hack'n'slash campaign about exploring ancient crypts, killing other supernaturals, and taking their stuff. :D

What? :p

Stormborn

Explorer
I have never played the WoD am not rreally interested in the vampire aspect of it. However, I might be interested in Mage or some of the other campaigns, and so I might get the WoD book and check it out. Always interested in game mechanics.

DanMcS

Explorer
Stormborn said:
I have never played the WoD am not rreally interested in the vampire aspect of it. However, I might be interested in Mage or some of the other campaigns, and so I might get the WoD book and check it out. Always interested in game mechanics.

Mechanicswise, you can't really beat the core book. 20 dollars for the first printing, with a smooth system, better than the originals. I'll probably never play V:tR, but I bought the core book over the weekend, read it through over the course of two days, and consider it well worth it.

Remove ads