What will you do in your old age?

Dioltach

Legend
I hear the Island of Bon Aire is a fine place! Scuba is a regular thing over there, as well as fishing for Lion fish

My wife is from Curacao, one island to the left. Apparently Bonaire has little to offer besides scuba diving (which my wife loves but I don't -- I feel like I'm not getting enough air and start to panic).

Scuba Diving takes time to adjust to. I've dabbled in it and yes- the first instinct is panic- can't breath. But after twenty minutes of messing around in the pool I was able to adjust.

And yes, money aside, I would need to remain active. Travel is the common choice bur getting back to my art would be nice. I would look into community things also. The foodshelf and kid activities mostly.

Nellisir

Hero
Retiring would require actually being employed.
(grumble)
That's what the wonderful world of managing rental properties is good for.

I don't quite understand what's going on here. If you own property, and are able to pay your expenses with those properties, that sounds perfectly reasonable. That's a job. Obviously you're grumpy about it, but dude, ALL your posts are grumpy. What are you looking for? Health insurance? A bigger paycheck? Other people to work with? (I'm not dissing any of those; I want all of them).

sabrinathecat

Explorer
Getting paid to do something I want to do--using my creativity. Managing the rental properties takes up about 3-10 hours a month, and requires no creativity at all.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
And that is what I figured the problem is. My brother wants me to go into restaurant ownership. I can cook, yes. but not so good I wold make a successful food business. He is afraid I might die in my job. Yes it is possible. But yes, I am careful.

My love is The Electron. I think Umbran pointed out how he felt he should be paid for something he does for someone. I am totally in agreement with that, unfortunately, too many people think that electrician work is nothing but a play time.

I love being an electrician - troubleshooting is my specialty - He does not get that. I have to ignore him and pursue my love and hope I can make money at it. But I will never be able to retire as the economic slump that started in 2007 still affects my field severely.

edit: Sorry I rambled a bit there.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
And that is what I figured the problem is. My brother wants me to go into restaurant ownership. I can cook, yes. but not so good I wold make a successful food business. He is afraid I might die in my job. Yes it is possible. But yes, I am careful.

Reminds me of when I got out of the army, and my parents told me they were considering going into business, and they were considering opening a Japanese Restaurant - and wanting me to be the cook. I can cook, sure, but I've never wanted to do it for a living (I've worked in kitchens as a teen, and too hot for my taste), besides I was really an artist. I convinced them if they were serious about opening a business involving me, going graphic design studio/digital print facility was more my skillset and interest, so that's what we did.

Dioltach

Legend
My sister became a cook because she loved cooking. After she quit, it took her years to rediscover that love: the long hours, hard (and largely monotonous) work, poor pay, and harsh criticism from customers spoiled it for her.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
My wife is from Curacao, one island to the left. Apparently Bonaire has little to offer besides scuba diving (which my wife loves but I don't -- I feel like I'm not getting enough air and start to panic).
I would love to do some scuba myself, but after the coma I was put in, I am not sure of how I would react. We (docs and I) are finding some long term psychological as well as the physical effects from being in a 6 week coma.

My sister became a cook because she loved cooking. After she quit, it took her years to rediscover that love: the long hours, hard (and largely monotonous) work, poor pay, and harsh criticism from customers spoiled it for her.
and these are the very reasons why I do not want to go into the restaurant business!

Nellisir

Hero
Getting paid to do something I want to do--using my creativity. Managing the rental properties takes up about 3-10 hours a month, and requires no creativity at all.

I was unemployed and underemployed for years. Two things I did that helped maintain my sanity were a) get back into writing RPG material, and b) I started making wooden utensils. You might not have a workshop handy (not that you need one, but it helps), but you can write and you like RPGs. I intentionally used my time to find hobbies that I liked and didn't take a lot of money to practice. Bonus points if I could make something back from them.

Remove ads