D&D (2024) What would be the path between Wildshape Templates and Use an Beast statblock?

Clint_L

Hero
I can assure you that the people who like paging through several different sourcebooks to find the optimal form for this specific situation aren't the ones who focus on roleplaying.
I can assure you that my experience is different from yours, and that my moon druid players seem to quite like "collecting" forms, not though not really for optimization.

DavyGreenwind said:
The problem with templates, is that building your own statblock is tedious, let alone 6 or 7 statblocks. With pre-generated, unique statblocks, you just pull it up, use your own mental scores and HP, and you're ready to go.

A core class in the PH should not require a new player to reference any book other than the PH.

Monster Templates in spells and class abilities are proven to work. That should be how it works for Druid Wildshape too.

The mechanical aspect can work very easily, with the "tedious" work being needing to update only 1 statblock once per level, and the "fun" work being when you get to choose the modular abilities offered by Wildshape, letting you represent your chosen shape. Even then, it would be easy to remember ahead of time which of the available abilities best represent the wildshapes you prefer.
You quoted me entirely out of context. I have no idea what you're talking about.

Aldarc

Legend
I believe that you may have those the wrong way around. I can assure you that the people who like paging through several different sourcebooks to find the optimal form for this specific situation aren't the ones who focus on roleplaying.
Roleplayers will often want their druid to turn into the same Wolf/Bear/Snake shape at 15th level that they turned into at 2nd level.
The idea that role-players are fine re-naming a "panther" statblock to be a leopard, but are unwilling to do the same for the "agile predator" statblock is a little weird and does not follow my experience.
This has been the number one reason why I have been an advocate for level-scaling wild shape templates. Most of my players who pick up a druid want their "wolf" shape or be as valid at level 1 as it is at level 20. There is a great deal of disappointment when they feel that they have to drop shapeshifting into their preferred wild shapes for the sake of their most effective ones that may be outside of their character concept or aesthetic.

Remove ads