What would you change for d20 Modern 2.0

There isn't much I'd want to do, most of the things have already been adressed, I think.

More feats:
Balance all combat styles and special abilties so that "n" amount of feats pumped into one style/ability will make them equally powerful (as far as that is possible), and then hand simply out more feats.
Maybe 1 feat per level is a good idea.
Talents might become feats that are only available through base class bonus feats or require a certain minimum level in a base class.
(Stealing from Iron Heroes Feat Mastery might be a good idea)

Mory Ability Points:
The base classes should grant bonus ability points for their stat, maybe +1 every 4 levels (2nd, 6th and 10th). This might also help keeping Non-FX characters balanced against FX monsters...

Herobizkit

Adventurer
JPL said:
Ghostbusters is a more silly and light-hearted than how I picture Shadow Chasers...closer in tone, in fact, to what seems to me like the default UrbArc setting. "The Real Ghostbusters" cartoon would make a hell of a campaign, though, wouldn't it?

Yes. Yes, it would.

I've often given thought to what might constitute such things as a proton pack, ghost trap, and other such joys. And THEN I went and read something called Chaositech by Monte Cook, which has (essentially) proton packs and ghost traps.

With that little nugget in mind, I started plotting ways to make such a campaign. You could use every monster in print, and add Incorporeal to most of them... and then make your Proton Pack a ghost touch or energy net (using the entangle special attack) out to some range and you're all set. Ghost Traps force a Will save or they are trapped; being entangled gives a ghost a penalty to the save. Monster Hit Points could become irrelevant in such a game.

I'd play it, anyway. :)

nobodez

Explorer
Yes, I'm jumping into the middle of a thread, so what?

1) I'd add more talent trees (esp. for Dedcated and Smart)
2) Fix nonlethal
3) fix wealth at higher levels (a compromise from the BP wealth, UACS wealth, and MCRB wealth)
4) one of the following:
4a) fix the magic and psionics to work within the base classes, with AdvC improving magic/psi rather then creating
4b) make magic/psi scale better compared to mundane items (I can make a C4/dynamite bomb better then any fireball)
4c) remove magic/psi altogether except as a setting-specific option (with different ML (magic levels) for different campaigns)
5) simplify firearms
6) expand non-weapon items (also update with new stuff)
7) core gadget rules

now that i've tackled my changes, I'd like to make a few comments upon stuff I've read

1) re: attack vs. skills
- I rectify this with the dedicated hero. it gets a 3/4 BAB, a decent def, and 6/7+int skills, and as been my favorite class since I read the book (plus Smart plus and Tough plus really help)

2) D&D with Guns!
- well, I like my D&D with guns, but I'd like to expand on the options. Heck, D*M would be great as an option. Personally, I'd love to use d20 modern as the basis of a potential Dragonstar 2.0 campaign, and that means D&D at PL 7 or 8. Of course, considering that DS tanked, well...

3) Point-Based vs. Class-based
- I prefer class-based, why, because it makes it easier on the GM. They don't have to be more familiar with a player's pet rule then the player, they just have to trust that the playtesters did their job (okay, maybe not the best point). I played in a fairly low point HERO game, and each character was a munchkin. As college students, we could munch the rules better then our GM, which meant that only when the players were stupid were we ever in danger (jumping in front of a rocket without your force-field is dumb).
- Now, a point in favor of point-based is just as I said above, it allows the player to sculpt the character as they wish, rather then making a best guess. Sure, they'll be unable to read a book, but they'll shoot the wings off a fly from a quarter-mile with a Light 50.

Remove ads