What would you characterise as your primary style of playing D&D?

What is your normal style of playing D&D?

• In short adventures (1-6 months)

Votes: 36 15.4%
  • In mini-campaigns (7-12 months)

Votes: 70 29.9%
  • In a campaign (1-4 years)

Votes: 97 41.5%
  • In a long campaign (5+ years)

Votes: 31 13.2%

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
The campaign I play in (Sagiro's) has its 7th anniversary next week. Mine is 10.5 years old.

Yup, I know where I fall in the poll. :D

arwink

Clockwork Golem
The first campaign with my group lasted two years, and ended due to the sudden influx of newbie players I didn't want starting at 15th level. I have a firm belief that everyone should fear a low level orc at least once in their playing experience.

The last campaign I ran lasted a little over a year before imploding to TPK and player problems.

The current game is three sessions old, but looking at an extended lifespan.

hammymchamham

First Post
I've been playing for a bout a year and a half, and the first year and couple months was at college. Now that I am in the 'real world' I joined up with a goup thats been in the same campaign for about half a year. We're going into a rotation where our normal game is one saturday, then I am having a game (starting this saturday w00t!) on the other saturday. I hope both last for a few years

wolff96

First Post
I kind of fall between the lines in the poll.

I voted for the 7-12 month group, but our gaming table specializes in adventures that average between 10 months and 2 years.

I'd say we have a bit more of the 10-month variety, so I voted with that category.

I would *love* to play in a 5+ year campaign, but I haven't had the opportunity yet.

Ravellion

serves Gnome Master
MerricB said:
Incidentally, although I'd like to say the long campaign was my normal style of playing D&D,

Yeah, I know that feeling, though it usually stems from one DM wanting to take a break after about 10-12 months, and the next DM begins a new one. This cycle continues back and forth, so that campaigns don't last that long. I've struck gold with my current campaign though, and after I go back to the NL in 8 months I am going to run it all the way to 20th level if I have my way.

Rav

Thorntangle

First Post
I'd love to play in a longer campaign, but it always seems that the DM's interest (and sometimes the players') wanes after a certain period of time. Can't really blame them since they should be having fun too.

I actually prefer the mini-campaign, because I have too many ideas to focus on just one setting for that amount of time. We also have three folks that quite like DMing, so hogging the "behind the screen" time isn't feasable for us either. So far, it seems like I'm the only one here almost who actually plays in his preferred style, though. Barring Piratecat.

Agback

Explorer
G'day

Is six months a short adventure? I normally run a short adventure (with about the content and complexity of a 100-minute action movie) in a single evening. On occasions I have even run scratch games in which characters were designed for a single evening's play (and some of those have been among the best GMing I have done). On another memorable occasion I ran a miniseries campaign that was constrained by impending exams to start, run its course, and be wrapped up in seven weeks. That campaign (another of my GMing triumphs) consisted of seven distinct adventures, not one.

Regards,

Agback

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Depends on your playing habits.

A short adventure is - IMO - one that is contained within itself, that you create characters for, and then play, with little care for what has gone before or after.

I didn't want to split up the poll TOO much.

1-4 sessions
5-8 sessions
9-12 sessions
etc.

Nope. So you can clarify further by posting.

Cheers!

Bastoche

First Post
The characters I still play the most were created 3-5 years ago. We play many long term campaigns, that's the reason why they last so long. And I don't play that much often too. My highest level character is 12th level. Most where created before 3rd edition was out.

Remove ads