D&D 5E What would you play in this party?

mellored

Legend
You have Str/Wis/Dex/Int covered, Cha is missing. (sorcerer, paladin, warlock, bard)
You also have 3 casters so you don't need utility or AoE, though some emergency healing would be good to have if your cleric drops. (paladin, bard, druid, ranger)
You also have a lot of melee and tankiness, so ranged damage would be good. (warlock, ranger, sorcererer)

Overall I would go with variant human (inspiring leader) paladin X/tome warlock 3 (shillelagh, eldritch blast + agonizing blast).

schnee

First Post
If it were me, I'd go one of three ways, in this order.

I'm repeating what others have said for the most part.

Option 1: Circle of the Land Druid. You'd be able to fill all kinds of interesting fun niches - scouting, stealth, infiltration, area control magic, healing, and since the 'normal' stuff is covered, you could pick lots of flavorful spells that often get overlooked by optimizers.

Option 2: Wild Mage Sorcerer. Evoker blaster, with all sorts of interesting mechanics to explore with the meta magic. Charisma based skills round the party out really well. Just for fun, I'd choose Variant Human and go with the Luck feat to double-down on the Chaos/Luck aspect, and Criminal background - I'd be very good at cheating with dice and charming my way out of trouble.

Option 3: Monk. My speed and movement let me put myself where I want, when I want, to can cause all sorts of mischief. If the fighter/rogue has put his expertise into skills, then I'd go Shadowstep and be a ridiculously slippery scout. If they've gone the stealth route, then I'd go Way of the Four Elements to be a battlefield controller, and use Thunder Wave and Water Whip frequently.

--

Basically, option 1 and 3 offer ways to support other characters in the party - with intelligence, utility magic, mobility, and/or battlefield control. You won't cause a lot of direct damage, but you will set up the rest of the team to do a hell of a lot, and prevent enemies from doing much to you.

Option 2 directly slots into two niches they don't have much of now - direct HP damage at range, and charisma skills. You'll roll a lot of dice in combat (always fun) and will have fun role play as the party face outside of it.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
The 'jobs' that aren't obviously filled are
- artillery
- face / negotiation
- skills

Bard would look like the best pick (clearly covers # 2 and #3) since you can customize the spells.
Paladin with a whip or rapier allows you to protect vs attacks from the rear
An Arcane Trickster Rogue could be different enough from current party members to have his own niche.

FrogReaver

As long as i get to be the frog
They have a wizard. How exactly are they lacking artilery?

The 'jobs' that aren't obviously filled are
- artillery
- face / negotiation
- skills

Bard would look like the best pick (clearly covers # 2 and #3) since you can customize the spells.
Paladin with a whip or rapier allows you to protect vs attacks from the rear
An Arcane Trickster Rogue could be different enough from current party members to have his own niche.

CydKnight

Explorer
I don't want to step on anybody else's toes. I'm looking for a niche that hasn't been taken yet.

I haven't played with this party, but here's what I know is in it already:

Level 4

Human cleric (tempest or war)
Dwarf melee fighter
Human fighter/rogue (hand xbow)
Elf bladesinger
Dwarf abjuror
Goliath barbarian

Thanks!
It will depend somewhat on the campaign but the first thing that comes to mind is that I don't see an obvious battle field controller. Without additional information on the adventure, my gut would be to go with a Bard (I like Lore Bards) as I see no obvious charismatic leader build among the current party.

A ranged spell caster that specializes more in hurling artillery attacks might also be a nice compliment to this group.

Sacrosanct

Legend
If you don't want to step on toes, then don't play the same PC they are. Otherwise, play what is most appealing to you. I don't know what's in your head and what you like, so my suggestions may ring hollow. And you don't have to have a blaster PC to have a successful party. So play what YOU want. Every player should do that anyway; it's a game to have fun.

Remove ads