• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E What would you put in monster manual 2?

I have gotten a lot more use of the NPC classes in the MM1 then I thought I would so, I would add my vote for more of them.

Some CR 8 and 9 elementals, but I prefer that they aren't just extra-large earth elementals; mixed elementals or 4e style controller-type and artillery-type Myrmidons to go with the melee types from PotA would be more interesting.

The Demodand/Gerheleths and Barghest seem like outsiders that are tailor made for 5e.

Linnorms or sea serpents.

I would like more fey and celestials, but I think this is an opportunity to reinvigorate them. Make fey more weird and scary, and celestials more purpose driven and a little less funny looking cleric/paladin/druid [in my ideal world, a new celestial should be an inspiration for a new spell or ability for a cleric/paladin, as a new fiend/fey/abberation should be for the warlock].

thalmin

Retired game store owner
Bahamut, though probably belongs in a Deities & Demigods/Legends & Lore volume. Wizards allowed the release of the miniature more than a year ago, let us have the write-up and stats!

the Jester

Legend
Here are a few of the monsters I have converted to 5e (and one or two I haven't). I think they'd all go well in a MM2 or FF.

Ant, Giant
Apparition
Arbalaster
Archon, Sword
Aurumvorax
Avolakia
Balhannoth
Barghest
Bat, Mobat
Beetle, Giant Bombardier
Beetle, Giant Oil
Beetle, Jishin Mushi
Blindheim
Bodak
Boggle
Boneclaw
Bonedrinker
Brain Collector
Brain in a Jar
Cadaver Collector
Caterwaul
Catoblepas
Cave Fisher
Centipede, Megalocentipede
Centipede, Tunnel Worm
Chagmat
Choker
Chwidencha
Clockwork Horror
Corpse Gatherer
Corruption Corpse
Crab, Siege
Crabfolk
Crawling Apocalypse
Crawling Head
Crimson Death
Crypt Thing
Dark One, Dark Creeper
Dark One, Dark Stalker
Deadborn Vulture
Deathjack
Deathlock
Demon, Alkilith
Demon, Cerebrilith
Demon, Evistro
Demon, Pod Demon
Demon, Podling
Demon, Solamith
Destrachan
Devil, Abishai
Devil, Legion
Devil, Paelyrion
Devourer
Digester
Dire Corby
Dragon, Cloud
Dragon, Gem (all types)
Dragon, Lung (all types)
Drake, Ambush
Drake, Guard
Drake, Needletooth Swarm
Drake, Spitting
Drake, Winged
Elementals, Composite (4e-style)
Elementals, Lesser
Elemental Myrmidons
Entombed
Fey Lingerer
Forlarren
Foulspawn (all types)
Fungus, Ascomoid
Ghaunadan
Ghost, Wrath Spirit
Ghoul, Abyssal Ghoul
Giant, Desert
Giant, Fog
Giant, Mountain
Giant, Voadkyn
Gibberling
Goatfolk
Goblin Rat
Golem, Adamantine
Golem, Alchemical
Golem, Bone
Golem, Brain
Golem, Hangman
Golem, Mithral
Howler
Huecuva
Inevitable (all types)
Iron Cobra
Ironmaw
Jellyfish, Man o' War
Jellyfish, Swarm
Kercpa
Korred
Krenshar
Leucrotta
Living Statue, Caryatid Column
Living Statue, Stone Guardian
Lizard, Shocker
Lizard, Giant Yellow Shocker*
Maulgoth
Meenlock
Mercane
Modrons (the missing ones)
Mohrg
Mudman
Neothelid
Nimblewright
Nixie
Norker
Ooze, Arcane Ooze
Ooze, Bloodbloater
Ooze, Crystal Ooze
Ooze, Flesh Jelly
Ooze, Primeval Ooze
Oread
Osteopede
Pistol Wraith
Praying Mantis, Giant
Quickling
Razor Boar
Redcap
Rothe
Screaming Devilkin
Shadar-Kai
Shadow, Slow
Skeleton, Burning
Skeleton, Spine Creep
Skin Kite
Skum
Slug, Giant
Snake, Amphisbaena
Snake, Sea Serpent
Spawn of Kyuss
Spider, Deathjump
Spider, Tarantella
Squirrel, Dire
Squirrel, Megalosquirrel
Steel Predator
Su-Monster
Tabaxi
Tapper
Tendriculos
Terror Bird
Thoqqua
Toad, Fire
Toad, Ice
Turtle, Giant Snapping
Ulgurstasta
Uvuudaum
Valkyrie
Vargouille
Volt
Warforged
Warforged Titan
Wild Hunt, Hound
Wild Hunt, Huntsman
Wild Hunt, Master of the Wild Hunt
Witherstench
Worm, Century
Worm, Giant Bloodworm
Worm, Lucent
Wyste
Yellow Musk Creeper
Yellow Musk Zombie
Yugoloth, Canoloth
Yugoloth, Guardian

*Its mating cry is rumored to be "PIKA!"

Quickleaf

Legend
Some trends I've been seeing in what people are interested in for a hypothetical MM2...

More monsters designed to face mid-to-high-level PCs

Classic monsters -- shake off the dust, make them new again. Jester posted a great list here.

More varieties of under-represented monster types, especially Elementals and Fey (which can double as summoning stock).

More NPCs!

Traps, hazards, trick/puzzle "monsters", and exploration stuff -- something different!

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
1. "generic monster templates" for those bag-of-hitpoints and one special ability monsters that seem to plague these books. Pick an XP amount, pick 1-3 special powers, spit out the monsters. Feel free to add some huge random ecology tables as well. I think this would give the best bang for buck by far.

2. A table of "monster abilities that synergise" so I can put together interesting encounters on the fly. 4e had some very effective monster teamups, and I'd like to see that continue.

3. High level monsters with interesting suites of powers, because there are never any good ones. Also more this is more fuel for 2.

4. A selection of monsters that are so big that walking up to them and punching their foot won't kill them, so they come with maps.

5. More crippling effects, less "things that can be cured with greater restoration". I don't mind things that can be cured, just not ones that require my party run with one of 2 classes to do it.

6. Some complimentary and well put together spell lists for NPCs.

Some trends I've been seeing in what people are interested in for a hypothetical MM2...

More monsters designed to face mid-to-high-level PCs

Classic monsters -- shake off the dust, make them new again. Jester posted a great list here.

More varieties of under-represented monster types, especially Elementals and Fey (which can double as summoning stock).

More NPCs!

Traps, hazards, trick/puzzle "monsters", and exploration stuff -- something different!

Comparing the other longer lists to my own, I do see something of a concordance when it comes to what monsters are wanted - there is a lot of overlap in those lists. I don't know if WotC will ever see this thread, but they could certainly gauge what creatures we want to see updated from it!

And, from the table of contents for Curse of Strahd that has been posted on another thread in this forum, we can see that mongrelfolk will actually be updated well before we get any MM2!

23. Eladrin: Bralani (6), Coure (2), Firre (10), Ghaele (13), Shuere (~ 8), Shiradi (14), Tulani (18)
Ugh, one of the big sins of 4e (in my opinion) comes home to roost. Do we rename the old eladrin to something else? Say the playble eladrin are a minor subrace? Beyond that, the bralani eladrin should probably be dropped to CR 5 for the same reason as the hound archon, to give an option for the enhanced version of summon celestial.

I liked Keith Baker's solution, the 4E style Eladrin are "Common Eladrin" and the classic Eladrin are "Noble Eladrin".

While on the topic of chaotic good outsiders, I'd also like to see Asuras return. They'd make better servants for most chaotic good powers than Eladrin would.

E

Elderbrain

The Planescape races (Eladrins, Asuras, Rilmani, Guardinals, Gehreleths (aka "Demodands"), Bladelings, Planetouched Tieflings, Archons, and Bauriar.) As far as "generic" monsters go, I want Neogi, Phoenixes, Nymphs, Shadar-Kai, and the remainder of the Demons, Devils and Yugoloths (i.e. demons are missing the Babau, and the 'Loths need Yagnoloths, Piscoloths, and Maraenoloths... at least fill in those blanks.) And some more NPC stat blocks to cover a few bases not hit in the first MM: Monk stat blocks, Paladin stat blocks, etc. Also a higher-level priest stat block! We have an Archmage, but no similar-level priest in the MM...

... (sigh)... and just realized, I forgot to mention my namesake, the Elder Brain! Definitely want one of those! :cool:

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads