D&D 5E What would you put in Volume 2 of Tales of the Yawning Portal

bmfrosty

Explorer
I'm looking at our more seasoned members to put together lists. I'm much too green to do it myself. Looking for lists that could conceivably span a lvl 1-15 adventure. My only contribution is that I think B2 would make a great start to one of these. Then again, probably so would T1.

Remathilis

Legend
I'm looking at our more seasoned members to put together lists. I'm much too green to do it myself. Looking for lists that could conceivably span a lvl 1-15 adventure. My only contribution is that I think B2 would make a great start to one of these. Then again, probably so would T1.

The trend I noticed in TotYP is that they are seven DUNGEONS. Not adventures, Dungeons.

So with a potential sequel, you have to decide "do we want another rounds of dungeons, or a round of other adventure settings?"

pkt77242

Explorer
I would love to see
B10 Nights Dark Terror
X4 Master of the Desert Nomads
X5 Temple of Death
X10 Red Arrow, Black Shield
S4 The Lost Caverns of Tsojcanth
Red Hand of Doom
Reavers of Harkenwold

Well that would be my preference. Probably not realistic though.

I also wouldn't mind seeing a themed book such as one containing desert adventures like
I3-I5 Desert of Desolation
X4-X5
Maybe X10
Maybe a Dark Sun adventure?
Or instead of X10 and the Dark Sun adventure maybe create 2 new adventures to pair with I3-I5 and X4-X5.

Another option would be doing Lizard/Reptile adventures.

Last edited:

Parmandur

Book-Friend
The trend I noticed in TotYP is that they are seven DUNGEONS. Not adventures, Dungeons.

So with a potential sequel, you have to decide "do we want another rounds of dungeons, or a round of other adventure settings?"

Specifically, dungeons that don't lend themselves to AP style extension (what sort of plot could contain White Plune Mountain...?); something with plot like Ravenloft could be turned into something like Curse of Strahd...

aco175

Legend
I would want something that starts with a town and contains a few smaller adventures to get things going. I liked Under Illefarn from FR as a good starter, like what LMoP does to start. This took PCs to level 4-5. Maybe follow with Baltron's Beacon or Tomb of the Lizard King. Maybe Eye of Pain with a beholder can be played before something with a dragon or lich.

AaronOfBarbaria

Adventurer
Assuming that the product is just what it says it is - 7 places you might hear tales of if you chat up the crowd at the Yawning Portal one night, with the theme being dungeons - I would personally make additional volumes in the hypothetical series also incorporate other themes.

Like one volume containing specifically castles you might hear of, and another containing specifically strange wilderness sites (like where another plane of existence spills over into the material just enough to cause not-quite natural geology). Of course, reserving the right to return to any of the themes of these locations with later volumes.

It would take me months to decide for sure which theme I'd do first, and which sites I would choose to fit the theme.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Assuming that the product is just what it says it is - 7 places you might hear tales of if you chat up the crowd at the Yawning Portal one night, with the theme being dungeons - I would personally make additional volumes in the hypothetical series also incorporate other themes.

Like one volume containing specifically castles you might hear of, and another containing specifically strange wilderness sites (like where another plane of existence spills over into the material just enough to cause not-quite natural geology). Of course, reserving the right to return to any of the themes of these locations with later volumes.

It would take me months to decide for sure which theme I'd do first, and which sites I would choose to fit the theme.

Given the content of this book, I think they are trying to avoid grouping by theme, specifically to broaden potential interest.

Older tournament modules that don't have solid story hooks seem like good candidates for a similar product.

The Glen

Legend
Give me a different module each set unmistakably in Mystara, Greyhawk, Krynn, Athas, Eberron, Sigil and Blackmoor. A sampler platter of every major game world that isn't Forgotten Realms. I might not play in the setting, but with Sigil in the mix, anywhere is possible.

JonnyP71

Explorer
Given that it would be part 2 of in a series of books of dungeons I'd be looking at some or all of these:

- the Moathouse from T1 (low level)
- C2 - Ghost Tower of Inverness (mid level)
- The Caverns from S4 (high-ish level)
- B2 - The Caves of Chaos (low level) - though I'd be more interested in seeing B4 - The Lost City
- X4 - The Evil Abbey (high-ish level), and X5 Temple of Death (high level)
- D2 - the Shrine of the Kuo-Toa (high level)

Remove ads