Whatever Happened to D&D's Underdog?

Dungeons & Dragons is well-known for its class advancement system, which over time has iterated from focusing on collecting treasure to defeating foes. And yet there was a time in the First Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons where players were encouraged to play their characters as novices below 1st level, before they became heroes. These were 0-level player characters, and their story illuminates how D&D models a particular kind of fantasy fiction.

Dungeons & Dragons is well-known for its class advancement system, which over time has iterated from focusing on collecting treasure to defeating foes. And yet there was a time in the First Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons where players were encouraged to play their characters as novices below 1st level, before they became heroes. These were 0-level player characters, and their story illuminates how D&D models a particular kind of fantasy fiction.

[h=3]Oh What a Knight?[/h]0-level characters first debuted as part of the cavalier class in Unearthed Arcana. Cavaliers had a lot of special rules that tied them to honor and social standing, and one of them affected the character's starting level:

Usually, the character is of noble origin. Any cavalier rolling a social class below Lower Middle Class will be lower middle class, as peasants below that status need not apply. Characters of at least Lower Upper Class begin the game as first level Armigers; others must begin as 0 level Horsemen (0H), and work through Lancer (0L) to reach this point. Such lower class characters always serve the house of another; Upper Class cavaliers may serve their own house. A cavalier receives d12 hit points per level, plus fighter constitution bonuses, except at level one. A 0 level horseman begins with d4+1 hit points, plus constitution bonus, and gains an additional d4 hit points at 0L and at first level (for a total of 3d4+1+con bonus). A character starting at level one receives d10+3 hit points to begin, plus con bonus.

In essence, a character with a lower social class started out at 0-level, with less hit points. Co-author of D&D Gary Gygax was attempting to introduce a class system that mattered in a way it hadn't before, and was reflected in the mechanical elements of the cavalier. Noble standing directly affected the character's heroic development; a child that was not nobly born had to overcome adversity (through adventuring of course) to achieve knighthood. This is a traditional chivalric romance character arc, and it's surprisingly not as compatible with D&D as one might assume for a game with levels.

In fact, knights weren't really a part of D&D to begin with. Although there were always Fighting-Men, knights and the concept of honor were not nearly as prominent as the thieves, rogues, and magicians Gygax cited as inspiration in Appendix N. Even when knights did appear, like in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions -- the inspiration for D&D's paladin class -- the protagonist, Holger Carlsen, enters the story in a fully capable knight's body from the start.

There was precedent in tabletop role-playing for knights ascending social ranks in a D&D rival, Chivalry & Sorcery, according to Wilf K. Backhaus:

We wrote an MSS in 6 week which was about 360 pages long. We self-published 40 copies of it under the title of Chevalier. It was our intent and our hope to sell our material to TSR as a sort of "Advanced" D&D. We traveled to GENCON for that purpose in August ''76. We never did show it to TSR because we took an instant dislike to Gygax and so sought out another publisher. It required us about 4 months to completely de-D&D our manuscript - it was during part of that process that we decided on the term "Game Master". The C&S 1st was published in the summer of 1977.

We may never know if the cavalier class was in fact meant to capitalize on the success of Chivalry & Sorcery, but the class' debut made it clear that D&D didn't have rules for starting out as a nobody. In fact, D&D's tradition of thrusting players into the roles of fully capable goes back to a previous discussion of visitation fiction. Why struggle through being a weakling with few powers when you can start as a hero that's better than your average commoner?

For a time, D&D capitalized on this sort of power trip, in which heroes emerged fully-formed and players joined them after they knew how to fight, pick locks, create miracles, and cast spells. The debut of the cavalier class made it clear that D&D had to literally go backwards to accommodate a hero's origins.
[h=3]Zero to Hero[/h]The cavalier class didn't just tie social standing to level and hit points, it also set the framework for advancing in power by slowly gaining the attributes a 1st-level character took for granted. It took two additional "0-levels" for a lower class character to move from Horseman (-1,500 XP) to Lancer (-500 XP) to Armiger (0 XP), gaining one third of the same hit points an Armiger started with. The cavalier paved the way for other classes to do the same. The ideas actually went as far back as the AD&D adventure N4, Treasure Hunt:

In this adventure, you don’t even have the slight edge that training gave you, the edge over the common man. In Treasure Hunt, your character is the common man. To survive the adventure, he’ll have to become an uncommon man — you’ll have to use your wits, survive the odds, and stay alive long enough to earn some experience and begin developing the abilities of the true adventurer.

Author Aaron Allston did something revolutionary with Treasure Hunt, in that the players didn't actually pick their classes and alignment, but rather grew into it -- determined by their actions and the Dungeon Master. It was meant to be an introductory adventure to D&D and role-playing in general:

To start with, both the players and the GMs can read some introductory notes on D&D, which matches what TSR did in the early B-series adventures. However, Allston goes far beyond that, advising GMs on how to run their game throughout the adventure text; he talks about everything from addressing questions from the players to timing the game and staging different combats. There's even a two-page appendix on what to do if the adventure starts going wrong.

When Jim Ward asked players in Dragon Magazine #129 what they wanted included for an upcoming Greyhawk Adventures hardcover, they picked 0-level character rules.
[h=3]Whither Harry?[/h]Discussions around why there never was a Harry Potter role-playing game pointed to a larger challenge with D&D -- it doesn't model novices well. Although 1st-level characters aren't as fully capable as those of higher levels, they're still more capable than a common person. D&D models the power structure of heroic fantasy (emphasis on "heroic"), not on chivalric romance, in which a character must scrabble his way through the lower ranks (of both society and power) until ultimately achieving his true potential. D&D's inspiration is more closely aligned with sword-and-sorcery, where fully-capable heroes faced even stronger adversaries.

It's possible that the differences in fantasy are cultural. American authors like Gygax and Robert E. Howard preferred to start with heroes who were adults capable of making their own way through the world, while European authors like J.K. Rowling drew on the legacy of chivalric romance that starts with protagonists as children who eventually fulfill their destinies. To accommodate a boy's long path to king, D&D had to take a literally step backwards on the XP chart.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

Zarithar

Adventurer
Just what I want a chance to be zero level in 1e and aspire to having 1D4 hitpoints plus con and cast a single spell once per day.

That actually sounds like a level 1 magic-user from AD&D. Level 0 wouldn't even have the spell! I thought the 0 level idea was a good one at the time as well... what class would the player end up gravitating toward? It's a fun idea.

werecorpse

Adventurer
I suspect that most people who have played a lot of RPGs have played a lot of low level characters. IME that's the norm. Starting at 1st level and see how you go. Pre 3e 1st level was a long duration, high casualty place.

I recall running a game back in the 80's where the sole character to survive from the the first group of adventurers was a magic user who celebrated when at 5th he got to double digit hit points! His was the sole survivor from an Orc Raid at about third level so he recruited a bunch of first levels and off they went again.

I agree that class choice is largely dictated by stats. For me I have the opposite feeling to this article. I don't bemoan the opportunity to play 0 level (it's just like 1st level during the second session when you are out of spells and a bit wounded). I don't have any trouble finding (or creating) novice adventures. There are a literal truckload of novice level adventures. My question is the perennial question of where are all the adventures for characters of level 10+ that don't feel like a big number crunching exercise?

agrayday

Explorer
DCC O level funnels also seem to make me think of KDM miniatures game....

BTW: DCC just released scratch off O level character sheets.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
0 level characters were never particularly popular as a whole. Certain groups or individual players thought they were great but mostly what they did was extend the amount of time you spent playing an incompetent, fragile, character with little combat power or magic ability and that's really not why a lot of us play the game. There's nothing wrong with options but this type of character is really not the focus of D&D in the rules or in the published adventures or in the fiction that has grown up around the game or even in the fiction that inspired the game as was noted in the article. I don't really remember anyone back in the D&D or AD&D days saying "hey I'd really like to spend more time as 1st level characters".

Definitely. It could be really unpleasant to put a good bit of work into a character only to have them bite the dust due to one lucky hit. I recall starting most characters at 2nd level when I was playing a lower level game just so they could take more of a beating. Depending on the game we would often start higher level.

In the end it all comes down to what the DM and the players want to get out of the game. By 1986 the Warhammer FRPG emphasized this kind of game more and was better for it than D&D IMO. Today that's still an option as is GURPS and of course Dungeon Crawl Classics where the zero -level PC is built into the entire concept.

You can certainly play a low fantasy version of D&D. BECM D&D in the low levels is a good example but even later versions: Stick to low levels, restrict casting classes---in particular magical healing---and be really tight on treasure and you're pretty good. 5E works fine for this in Adventures in Middle Earth, which has little of the magical conveniences that shift things around: No fast travel, no magical light, no area effect death, emphasis on the grueling nature of travel.

5E has the first two levels being kind of an "apprentice" tier before most characters pick an archetype. This is kind of a "0 level" experience, though not totally so given that you're already in a class. However, in my view the "sweet spot" for 1E, 2E, and 5E is all in the mid levels, say 4th through about 13th.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
I get the feeling that level 0 characters sound better in theory then practice.

In my experience there is plenty of zero to hero feeling just from starting at level 1.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Much like having a broken arm, it’s quite the learning experience, but not something one intentionally repeats. ;)

Our group hated low level play so much that I don't remember ever starting a game at 1st level after 1985. We'd usually start around 5th level (or actually 20,000 experience points actually since levels varied).

MrZeddaPiras

[insert something clever]
First level PCs are hardly heroic or competent. I think 0 level was more a novelty than anything else, or maybe some people felt that "it wasn't realistic" to start at 1st level.

I remember there were some notes to play a magic academy campaign, with kids as PCs, in GAZ3 - The Principalities Of Glantri.

toucanbuzz

No rule is inviolate
Interesting trip back in D&D history!

From time to time, we play a 0-level, one-shot DCC adventure (DCC) instead of our usual D&D game. It's largely comic-relief, and for us, that's a good thing. We're not afraid to lose these characters and instead develop (often absurd and hilarious) stories and interactions. [sblock] I've never laughed so hard in a game than our last session. Ever. One of our gamers decided to name his randomly assigned and generated 0-level hero "Creepy Frank," who everyone in the village knew was creepy for a reason. Creepy Frank and his creepy dog lurked at the back of the 0-level mob, and I about choked when, in battle, he declared (right before the DM rolled the attack) that Creepy Frank had opened up his shirt, was touching his chest, and saying "oh yeah" with a touch of pleasure in his voice as the monster charged. Of course Creepy Frank was subsequently impaled on a spear and died with a smile on his face. Was it ever intended that Creepy Frank become his primary character for future play? Absolutely not, and with 2 hit points, a hit = dead. The unpredictable and unlikely nature of these characters every achieving any glory, much less taking out a major bad guy, created the story. [/sblock]

As it is with MrZedda and per the spoiler, 0-level is a novelty for us, a significant contrast from the fairly dynamic 1st level D&D character.

I was tempted but never ran Treasure Hunt. Level 0 appears premised around developing an identity for a character, and my games can accomplish this through a dice-less role-play prequel to a campaign rather than the harshness of 0-level fatality rates.

Jay Verkuilen

Grand Master of Artificial Flowers
From time to time, we play a 0-level, one-shot DCC adventure (DCC) instead of our usual D&D game. It's largely comic-relief, and for us, that's a good thing. We're not afraid to lose these characters and instead develop (often absurd and hilarious) stories and interactions.

This is a great example of how throwaway type characters can be fun. It's not something I'd want as a steady diet but it can be great for a one shot. Games like Paranoia and Call of Cthulhu are similar in my experience, though of course their tone is likely to differ.

Remove ads

Remove ads