Whatever Happened to D&D's Underdog?

Dungeons & Dragons is well-known for its class advancement system, which over time has iterated from focusing on collecting treasure to defeating foes. And yet there was a time in the First Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons where players were encouraged to play their characters as novices below 1st level, before they became heroes. These were 0-level player characters, and their story illuminates how D&D models a particular kind of fantasy fiction.

Dungeons & Dragons is well-known for its class advancement system, which over time has iterated from focusing on collecting treasure to defeating foes. And yet there was a time in the First Edition of Advanced Dungeons & Dragons where players were encouraged to play their characters as novices below 1st level, before they became heroes. These were 0-level player characters, and their story illuminates how D&D models a particular kind of fantasy fiction.

[h=3]Oh What a Knight?[/h]0-level characters first debuted as part of the cavalier class in Unearthed Arcana. Cavaliers had a lot of special rules that tied them to honor and social standing, and one of them affected the character's starting level:

Usually, the character is of noble origin. Any cavalier rolling a social class below Lower Middle Class will be lower middle class, as peasants below that status need not apply. Characters of at least Lower Upper Class begin the game as first level Armigers; others must begin as 0 level Horsemen (0H), and work through Lancer (0L) to reach this point. Such lower class characters always serve the house of another; Upper Class cavaliers may serve their own house. A cavalier receives d12 hit points per level, plus fighter constitution bonuses, except at level one. A 0 level horseman begins with d4+1 hit points, plus constitution bonus, and gains an additional d4 hit points at 0L and at first level (for a total of 3d4+1+con bonus). A character starting at level one receives d10+3 hit points to begin, plus con bonus.

In essence, a character with a lower social class started out at 0-level, with less hit points. Co-author of D&D Gary Gygax was attempting to introduce a class system that mattered in a way it hadn't before, and was reflected in the mechanical elements of the cavalier. Noble standing directly affected the character's heroic development; a child that was not nobly born had to overcome adversity (through adventuring of course) to achieve knighthood. This is a traditional chivalric romance character arc, and it's surprisingly not as compatible with D&D as one might assume for a game with levels.

In fact, knights weren't really a part of D&D to begin with. Although there were always Fighting-Men, knights and the concept of honor were not nearly as prominent as the thieves, rogues, and magicians Gygax cited as inspiration in Appendix N. Even when knights did appear, like in Poul Anderson's Three Hearts and Three Lions -- the inspiration for D&D's paladin class -- the protagonist, Holger Carlsen, enters the story in a fully capable knight's body from the start.

There was precedent in tabletop role-playing for knights ascending social ranks in a D&D rival, Chivalry & Sorcery, according to Wilf K. Backhaus:

We wrote an MSS in 6 week which was about 360 pages long. We self-published 40 copies of it under the title of Chevalier. It was our intent and our hope to sell our material to TSR as a sort of "Advanced" D&D. We traveled to GENCON for that purpose in August ''76. We never did show it to TSR because we took an instant dislike to Gygax and so sought out another publisher. It required us about 4 months to completely de-D&D our manuscript - it was during part of that process that we decided on the term "Game Master". The C&S 1st was published in the summer of 1977.

We may never know if the cavalier class was in fact meant to capitalize on the success of Chivalry & Sorcery, but the class' debut made it clear that D&D didn't have rules for starting out as a nobody. In fact, D&D's tradition of thrusting players into the roles of fully capable goes back to a previous discussion of visitation fiction. Why struggle through being a weakling with few powers when you can start as a hero that's better than your average commoner?

For a time, D&D capitalized on this sort of power trip, in which heroes emerged fully-formed and players joined them after they knew how to fight, pick locks, create miracles, and cast spells. The debut of the cavalier class made it clear that D&D had to literally go backwards to accommodate a hero's origins.
[h=3]Zero to Hero[/h]The cavalier class didn't just tie social standing to level and hit points, it also set the framework for advancing in power by slowly gaining the attributes a 1st-level character took for granted. It took two additional "0-levels" for a lower class character to move from Horseman (-1,500 XP) to Lancer (-500 XP) to Armiger (0 XP), gaining one third of the same hit points an Armiger started with. The cavalier paved the way for other classes to do the same. The ideas actually went as far back as the AD&D adventure N4, Treasure Hunt:

In this adventure, you don’t even have the slight edge that training gave you, the edge over the common man. In Treasure Hunt, your character is the common man. To survive the adventure, he’ll have to become an uncommon man — you’ll have to use your wits, survive the odds, and stay alive long enough to earn some experience and begin developing the abilities of the true adventurer.

Author Aaron Allston did something revolutionary with Treasure Hunt, in that the players didn't actually pick their classes and alignment, but rather grew into it -- determined by their actions and the Dungeon Master. It was meant to be an introductory adventure to D&D and role-playing in general:

To start with, both the players and the GMs can read some introductory notes on D&D, which matches what TSR did in the early B-series adventures. However, Allston goes far beyond that, advising GMs on how to run their game throughout the adventure text; he talks about everything from addressing questions from the players to timing the game and staging different combats. There's even a two-page appendix on what to do if the adventure starts going wrong.

When Jim Ward asked players in Dragon Magazine #129 what they wanted included for an upcoming Greyhawk Adventures hardcover, they picked 0-level character rules.
[h=3]Whither Harry?[/h]Discussions around why there never was a Harry Potter role-playing game pointed to a larger challenge with D&D -- it doesn't model novices well. Although 1st-level characters aren't as fully capable as those of higher levels, they're still more capable than a common person. D&D models the power structure of heroic fantasy (emphasis on "heroic"), not on chivalric romance, in which a character must scrabble his way through the lower ranks (of both society and power) until ultimately achieving his true potential. D&D's inspiration is more closely aligned with sword-and-sorcery, where fully-capable heroes faced even stronger adversaries.

It's possible that the differences in fantasy are cultural. American authors like Gygax and Robert E. Howard preferred to start with heroes who were adults capable of making their own way through the world, while European authors like J.K. Rowling drew on the legacy of chivalric romance that starts with protagonists as children who eventually fulfill their destinies. To accommodate a boy's long path to king, D&D had to take a literally step backwards on the XP chart.

Mike "Talien" Tresca is a freelance game columnist, author, communicator, and a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to http://amazon.com. You can follow him at Patreon.

Michael Tresca

Michael Tresca

prosfilaes

Adventurer
The DCCRPG system has its flaws and issues elsewhere, but the funnel method of character generation is pure brilliance!

Just what I wanted, the joy of completely random character creation combined with the fun of having characters die completely out of my control. YMMV, but never again for me.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
Just what I wanted, the joy of completely random character creation combined with the fun of having characters die completely out of my control. YMMV, but never again for me.

Joy! Fun! Sums it up perfectly!

Bring it on! :)

More seriously, the joy might not come from watching a bunch of 'em die (though depending how they die, it can certainly be grand entertainment) but it most certainly comes from the few that survive.

As for random character creation, you could always tweak it so you've got a bit more choice regarding race and maybe intended class...though the stat generation has to stay random for this to work at all.

Lanefan

prosfilaes

Adventurer
More seriously, the joy might not come from watching a bunch of 'em die (though depending how they die, it can certainly be grand entertainment) but it most certainly comes from the few that survive.

Not for me. Watching my characters die is not in the least bit fun, and getting stuck with some character I can't imagine playing is, likewise, not fun. I've tried it, and I have no question in the least I don't enjoy it. The way I attach to my characters pretty clearly stops me from enjoying this. Again, YMMV, and I totally believe you find it fun, but no way for me.

talien

Community Supporter
All this talk about 0-level characters dying in (hilarious) droves is 180 degrees the opposite of a young hero rising to the occasion to become king. This is why 0-level rules existed in Treasure Hunt and for cavaliers, and they're very different from the DCC "mob of cannonfodder" approach as a result. The idea is the 0-level character should face dangerous odds and NOT die, but rather her choices decide her later destiny.

Also, why Harry Potter and D&D don't mix well.

Mark Kernow

Explorer
All this talk about 0-level characters dying in (hilarious) droves is 180 degrees the opposite of a young hero rising to the occasion to become king. This is why 0-level rules existed in Treasure Hunt and for cavaliers, and they're very different from the DCC "mob of cannonfodder" approach as a result. The idea is the 0-level character should face dangerous odds and NOT die, but rather her choices decide her later destiny.

Also, why Harry Potter and D&D don't mix well.

Leaving aside DCC, can you address the point that quite a few commentators have made about early edition low level PCs not feeling like 'fully capable heroes'? I would argue that zero level characters were on far more of a continuum with 1st level and 2nd level than maybe you are suggesting. The point about making choices that have an effect later seems valid, but not the step change in relative power.

talien

Community Supporter
Well, I was talking specifically about Appendix N, which Gygax used in AD&D, so to speculate before that definitely changes the discussion.

I think Gygax modeled D&D after the Fighting-Man first and foremost (modeled after heroes and superheroes in Chainmail, which in turn was drawn from heroes like Conan), which is why everyone else was comparatively weaker -- and if I remember correctly, the only other form of 0-level character was a "0-level fighter." In other words, in comparison to a fighter type, EVERYONE was weaker and that was modeled in the other classes. By the time we get to AD&D, we finally had the knight archetype -- a character that in fiction can often come from lowly squire roots -- but to replicate that fighter-to-weakling ratio, Gygax created a 0-level progression in the cavalier class (and oh yeah, the cavalier had d12 hit dice then!). AD&D's power levels had expanded considerably by then. I definitely agree that playing a wizard may not feel much like being a capable hero, but casting his one shot sleep spell and leaving the dungeon afterward was a tactic we used frequently, and is still more of an option than a 0-level fighter had at his disposal.

rmcoen

Adventurer
I've been gaming with pretty much the same group of people for the last 19 years (give or take fluctuation in jobs and such). I've been the GM for 18 of those 19 years, through about 4 campaigns. The second one I ran began with 0-level characters (D&D 2e Skills & Powers), and is still considered by the group to be the best one. The characters were d4hp commoners, the teenagers of a backwater village: the tavern wench, the hunter's son, the veterinarian's son, the smith's adopted orphan assistant, and the wheelwright's daughter from the neighboring town. We probably played 6 months (weekly games) before the characters achieved 1st level; I know I was doling out incremental bumps in capability, I think from the Greyhawk rules? The first adventure was finding the village crazy-lady who had wandered into the hills... and discovering that goblins were returning after centuries of absence. "Climactic battles" are still talked about, with the vet's son managing to take down the last two goblins of a patrol before his injured friends bled out. The tavern wench's player planned to create a Rogue, but ended up as a priestess; she frequently was the only character still conscious at the end of fights because of fleeing or hiding, and coming back to patch up her friends. Skills and Powers rules allowed use (Player and GM) to craft a "cleric" class that gave a feel of her shifty/klepto habits, and yet her growing faith in healing and magic. The smith's boy capitlized on his natural strength in battle, but was so amazed by the goblin shaman's magic that he eventually became a mage (the only one in the kingdom, using ancient tomes and stolen artifacts to "self-teach"). And they had a "bumbling kids whoops!" where they investigated an old "haunted ruin" (the haunting was mechanical wind-driven mechanisms and tricks by the goblins)... and discovered - and released, whoops!! - an ancient evil bound in its depths (the reason the castle had been abandoned). They had to grow into heroes to fix the mistake they had made...

The players had a much greater connection with the world and the setting because they were *not* the heroes and exalted. One or another of them probably brings up that campaign up every three to six months, after a decade since we finished it.

But, could a wellcrafted societal tie-in work just as memorably with 1st level characters? Not sure; in D&D, as the other posters have said, 1st level characters are already standing tall compared to the rest of the world - a 1st level Fighter is more than able to handle a city guard, and a 1st level mage can kill anyone in the town with a single spell (magic missile kills your average d4 human - DEPENDING ON THE RULES EDITION - pretty much every time, unerringly). Harder to feel tied and dependent on your fellow citizens that way.

Edit: How things turned out: The vet's son became a Ranger, and at campaign end retired to the reclaimed old ruins to guard the kingdom's frontier against the monsters that were driven out of the kingdom. The hunter's son became a Fighter (archer), but was badly affected by some of the horrors they faced; he "retired" into the wilderness to become a wandering recluse, providing aid to any he came across, but avoiding people in general. The tavern wench rose to become High Priestess of the kingdom, deposing the corrupt officials in the Church, and leading to a renaissance of civilization and enlightenment. The smith's boy eventually became an Archmage, helping the High Priestess for awhile, then disappearing - with his Tower! - to places unknown (actually, exploring another continent on the same world, and eventually the Planes, as an NPC in another campaign). The wheelwright's daughter became a Paladin of Life, lost her paladinhood, gradually regained it through the god of Righteous Defense (War, but LG aspect); in retirement, she married the vet's son, had lots of kids, divorced him and returned to her home to become Mayor.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads